List Mgmt. Hawthorn 2018 Trade discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an absolute rollercoaster of emotions this trade period and this thread has been.

Happy with the INs. Sad to see Burto go but keeping the faith in Clarko and the club that they've done the right thing.

I'll be honest - I'm shocked we traded Burton. I feel a bit crap about it. I was adamant we woudln't do it when the name first came up.

However, here's a list of players that have left this great club of ours and played for another, for vairous reasons. I've been upset on some level about all of these:

- Darren Jarman
- Dermott Brereton
- Trent Croad
- Mark Williams
- Nathan Thompson
- Jon Hay
- Josh Kennedy
- Campbell Brown
- Lance Franklin
- Luke Hodge
- Jed Anderson
- Jordan Lewis
- Sam Mitchell
- Brad Hill

And now, add Ryan Burton.

I was a bit crushed every time we lost one of these guys. I think Burton was awesome for us in 2017. Had a flat year in 2018 - but I think he's a gun and I really enjoyed watching him play. I wish him well at Port, and really hope they don't **** him up like they do with so many other promising players.

Which of those was 21 with versatility, leadership and upside credentials?

Cripps appears so far out of his depth in his job.

He said Port has been in contact with Burton's manager for a number of years to see if they could bring him back.

Then admitted HE raised Burton's name when Wingard requested a trade.

So, in short, he lied.
Out of his depth but got what he wanted.

He's sloppy, but he did what worked.

I'll be honest - I'm shocked we traded Burton. I feel a bit crap about it. I was adamant we woudln't do it when the name first came up.

However, here's a list of players that have left this great club of ours and played for another, for vairous reasons. I've been upset on some level about all of these:

- Darren Jarman
- Dermott Brereton
- Trent Croad
- Mark Williams
- Nathan Thompson
- Jon Hay
- Josh Kennedy
- Campbell Brown
- Lance Franklin
- Luke Hodge
- Jed Anderson
- Jordan Lewis
- Sam Mitchell
- Brad Hill

And now, add Ryan Burton.

I was a bit crushed every time we lost one of these guys. I think Burton was awesome for us in 2017. Had a flat year in 2018 - but I think he's a gun and I really enjoyed watching him play. I wish him well at Port, and really hope they don't **** him up like they do with so many other promising players.
Perhaps compare that to how many players we also received from others, some of which have recently delivered us premierships. I’m good with that if it pays dividends.

Burton a promising youngster and spewing we moved him on. Was hoping we would keep him and get Chad with two first round picks. Always had this thought in the back of my mind that Burton would go back home at some stage ...... at least I don’t have to worry about this anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps compare that to how many players we also received from others, some of which have recently delivered us premierships. I’m good with that if it pays dividends.
It's the reverse of the Gunston trade, except we got a gun player out of it whereas Adelaide didn't.

You make a good point.
Gunston, O'Meara, Mitchell are three young players we've got from others with potential upside. Add O'Rourke, Scrimshaw and Impey as more experimental efforts, but still in that younger bracket.

I think Burton was awesome for us in 2017. Had a flat year in 2018 - but I think he's a gun and I really enjoyed watching him play.
Burton had a crap year after his suspension and without Luke Hodge directing him where to run to.

He's got some football skills but will need to work on his maturity and intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back