Pakistan v Australia 2nd Test at Abu Dhabi Oct 16-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Id much rather a genuine number 6 batsman than M Marsh.

Number 6 is the worst batting position in a Test team. Proportionally, the number of people who've played there to the number who've succeeded long-term is very low. I'd be more concerned about getting batsmen in the other positions first.

if we play like this in the home tests the drums will start beating for Smith/Warner to come back.

Smith yes but Warner can * right off. Absolute cancer that finally got exposed as the prick he is in the SA tour.

Between Finch, Renshaw and Khawaja we can adequately cover for the meat head. Love to see Marnus get some runs here. If Australia could stop producing roads and have a throwback to the days of having turners in Sydney and Adelaide, Marnus could turn out to be a decent option as a 5th bowler who can bat and we could finally * off this Mitch Marsh experiment

Number 6 is the worst batting position in a Test team. Proportionally, the number of people who've played there to the number who've succeeded long-term is very low. I'd be more concerned about getting batsmen in the other positions first.
Definitely other positions however number 6 was traditionally the grooming position for the new kid before moving up the order.

The rate they are given out baggy greens currently I suppose that approach to 6 has become obsolete.

Our order has lacked stability for a long time now.

I’m an obvious Marsh fan but hard to argue with the need for them to be sent to the Shield. A bit tired of defending them.

What a disappointing effort after having them 5/50 odd.

I was a defender for a long time but reached tipping point last test.

Shaun has been unfairly viewed by fans for a while, he's had some cracking innings for Australia and been unlucky with injury. But you can't be 35 and have the form slump he's having.

Mitch has had so many opportunities. I wouldn't rule him out forever but he needs to prove himself again with a full shield season or 2.

I was a defender for a long time but reached tipping point last test.

Shaun has been unfairly viewed by fans for a while, he's had some cracking innings for Australia and been unlucky with injury. But you can't be 35 and have the form slump he's having.

Mitch has had so many opportunities. I wouldn't rule him out forever but he needs to prove himself again with a full shield season or 2.

Mitch has more upside than Shaun.

Shaun needs Shield runs otherwise I reckon he's done.

Certain young players just seem to get the nod from our cricket community others don't.

Mitch marsh seems to have many supporters around the side and outside the team, renshaw was even getting criticized by people like mark taylor for his scoring rate when he made a big ton.

To put it into numbers, after his ton in sydney renshaw averaged 25 across his two series in asia and he was talked about as being in a horror run of form, his average of nearly 70 the previous summer meant nothing while mitch marsh has averaged a far worse 17 across his last two away series but his runs the previous home summer seem to carry more weight than renshaws did the summer before that.

This isn't about being angry at showing faith in marsh, its why can't we back a promising 22 year old the same way we always back marsh?
Agreed. Almost feel for Renshaw as much as I do Maxwell. Genuinely scared they're going to rob him of a test career, and I thought he was our most promising young batter in a long time when he first came into the side. It's ridiclous that this s**t can happen in international cricket.

I remember in U/12s if you passed a 100 in your first innings (and usually your only innings) you were stoked and almost certain to win the game. Anything above 120 was like 400.

It seems Australia has reverted back to U/12s level.

Who would you pick in their stead?

Renshaw isnt a number 4-6.

Fact is our best 4 is on a yrs hiatus.

5-6 is up for grabs.
And Laub and Head arent hammering the door down- cupboard is bare.

Anyone.

Obvious one is Maxwell. Could also give a number of blokes a go. Renshaw opening, Finch at 4 could easily work.

Anything is better that two Marsh spuds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back