List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know some people will disagree with me and I used to be very pro Lyon for a long time

These are my issues:
- since Ross has had meetings with some big wigs of Woodside he has changed tye way he takes training. Ross was front and centre initially and directing traffic brilliantly. This lead to sustained finals. Then he disappeared during pre season and let the line coaches do the coaching. This clearly hasn't worked.

- Ross appears to be adverse to change and Freos transition of play has been awful to watch.

- Not all but most young players haven not improved under Ross. I can name players who have stagnated.

I honestly think Bell will make changes he thinks needed and I believe Ross won't get the same leeway as he did with Bond.

Last edited:

One positive though is that if we develop a more direct and attacking game style, we go close to making finals, then I think Ross will get heaps of confidence and satisfaction that he can rebuild a list.

I already can’t wait for next season to start, hopefully, with no injuries.

One positive though is that if we develop a more direct and attacking game style, we go close to making finals, then I think Ross will get heaps of confidence and satisfaction that he can rebuild a list.

I already can’t wait for next season to start, hopefully, with no injuries.

That is of Ross can do it

I actually think Ross can. When he initially took us to finals he then managed to up the tempo for finals. This didn't happen after the first three years.

I worry that in pre season he's absent and this makes for issues that put Freo behind the eight ball

I’m a massive fan of Ross and believe the past 3 years have, to a large degree, been by design to ensure we have the picks to get the talent onto the list rather than overachieve with a limited list whilst still ultimately falling short

I think if you wrote a checklist of what we needed to bring in at the start of 2016 most items will be ticked by the end of the draft period

That said, there are no more excuses/reasons to stay down and I’m expecting a sharp rise this year

True that.
But I think there will be more blowouts across the league next year. If about 8 teams experience 100 point losses next year, will Lyon deserve the sack when Freo play a bad game?
Yes, because he was on the receiving end of four whopping big losses over the past two years.

And I doubt that eight teams will experience 100 losses next year. Has that ever happened?

Yes, because he was on the receiving end of four whopping big losses over the past two years.

And I doubt that eight teams will experience 100 losses next year. Has that ever happened?

It hasn’t yet. But there will now be rules to prevent teams getting defensive when there’s a blowout. I think there will be more massive losses next year. And not (just) for Fremantle.

It hasn’t yet. But there will now be rules to prevent teams getting defensive when there’s a blowout. I think there will be more massive losses next year. And not (just) for Fremantle.
I don’t think the rules will cause half the teams to experience 100 point losses.

At best the role changes will force teams to play one-on-one defensive football, which was the dominant mode of defence for a century, and even then 100 point losses were mostly confined to the truly bad teams.

I don’t think the rules will cause half the teams to experience 100 point losses.

At best the role changes will force teams to play one-on-one defensive football, which was the dominant mode of defence for a century, and even then 100 point losses were mostly confined to the truly bad teams.

I hope you are right. History tells us that almost every rule change has brought in unintended consequences. I’m just trying to guess what they’ll be this time.

I think Ross stays under the following conditions

Either
A) No blowouts and 10 wins
B) A blowout or two and 12 wins

With a minimum of
- win +40% of the first 7 games

Anything less and there will be pressure

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I doubt it is that arbitrary. There may well be some key markers but it will also be qualified against parameters Ross has no control over (injuries, suspension, etc).

I would hope to hear that Peter Bell has had a very frank discussion with Ross and told him he expects changes.

My understanding is that they have been very open with each other ( tough hombres ), and they are both looking to a new fresh outlook in the Freo club. Let's see it as a cooling sea breeze has blown through, and goals have been reset.

Everyone is on notice, all must shake themselves off and lift to new levels. Both players & behind the scenes people.

I've said Ross has till the end of 2019 ( unless something real drastic ), before the jury gives a verdict. He now has his full toolkit and the foundations are set, now go out and put up the walls and put the roof on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross now has all the tools in the shed. The young excuse wont hold water any more

Defence and attack have the experienced bodies, Midfield with Fyfe, Mundy,Sandi, the Hills,Blakely also has plenty of experience. If we dont climb the ladder ,and that includes finals it will be tough for Ross to keep his job.

Ross now has all the tools in the shed. The young excuse wont hold water any more

Defence and attack have the experienced bodies, Midfield with Fyfe, Mundy,Sandi, the Hills,Blakely also has plenty of experience. If we dont climb the ladder ,and that includes finals it will be tough for Ross to keep his job.
I agree based on the premise the "tools" are fit most of the year. Not necessarily finals but close.

Blokes get injured then we are back to playing kids and the inconsistency will rear its ugly head, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

Would like to be in the hunt for the finals and I think that'll be what he'll ultimately be judged on (rightly imo) but I'm much more interested in the game-style shift. Needs to actually define a more offensive game-style that works and not go crawling back to the 2012-2015 stuff whenever he feels we need a win (e.g. Adelaide/Port).

Also has to show that he can get Hogan, Lobb, McCarthy and Matera (4 guys who were accomplished forwards at their original clubs) working.

No excuses anymore unfortunately. He'll either get extended at the end of the year or sacked.

I expect improvement (more wins and better percentage) but I think finals is a bit of a stretch. I still think the first to third year players are still building their tanks to be able to run out a full season and unfortunately I don't think we quiet have the midfield depth to go a full year.

Making finals will be contingent on a number of things, but we should still be in the hunt for them in the last month of H&A.

But more importantly, the beltings have to stop. We didn't tolerate it under Harvey, why are we expected to endure it under Lyon? Because he made a GF five years ago?

The vast majority of games the past three years there's been an underlying fear that we could get annihilated in any of them, except by the truly bad teams (Carlton, GCS). Even Brisbane beat us by 10 goals in the year they won the spoon - with a younger, less experienced side than ours.

My understanding is that they have been very open with each other ( tough hombres ), and they are both looking to a new fresh outlook in the Freo club. Let's see it as a cooling sea breeze has blown through, and goals have been reset.

Everyone is on notice, all must shake themselves off and lift to new levels. Both players & behind the scenes people.

I've said Ross has till the end of 2019 ( unless something real drastic ), before the jury gives a verdict. He now has his full toolkit and the foundations are set, now go out and put up the walls and put the roof on.
I don’t where you get your info from, but I hope it is correct.

I'm tempered in my expectations. We have 2 new forwards who need to learn our systems and develop chemistry. We have a lack of mature mids, and will be leaning on second year players and guys who haven't played there much. I think it will take time

We might make finals this year, or fyfe or mundy might go down and we're ****ed in the middle against most midfields.

I hope you are right. History tells us that almost every rule change has brought in unintended consequences. I’m just trying to guess what they’ll be this time.
I think a lot of the unintended consequences will be defensive in nature: tighter tags, lockdown defenders. Players with defensive mindsets and low skill levels like Crowley and Dawson would thrive.

The rule changes could actually perversely favour Ross.

I'm excited for next season. Agree with everyone else there are now no excuses. We'll play a far more experienced team than last season though - we won't be playing a handful of 1st/2nd years just because we want to pump games into them - suspect more of a focus on merit and B22 balance. Will not be surprised at all if Conca, Colyer and Ballantyne are all playing Round 1. Sandi (will be managed) but will still be our first choice ruck to the protestations of many. Darcy will be fine with it and get plenty of games still. Assuming that is the case, if we don't perform suitably then Ross (and a bunch of assistants) should rightly be shown the door. The loss of Neale is not a valid excuse for our midfield not being more accountable next season.

Will not be surprised if we use one of our picks on a mature ager in the draft to add another senior body.

Not expecting us to become certain finals contenders but we need to be far more competitive against all teams, including when away.

I think a lot of the unintended consequences will be defensive in nature: tighter tags, lockdown defenders. Players with defensive mindsets and low skill levels like Crowley and Dawson would thrive.

The rule changes could actually perversely favour Ross.

This would be so great, I would love to see Gil the poncy polo player explain that “ahem yes well er the changes have worked um according to many of our KPIs, what we’re seeing now is the natural progression of etc etc” as scores become lower than ever and all the bogan punters complain about footy being RUINED AGAIN.

Are there any other 150yo sports that change rules on the fly like this? How dumb does the AFL think its supporters are, supposedly frothing at the mouth for a few more goals because the rest of the game is too boring and slow and changing whatever to achieve this end. I guess these are the people who yell “just kick it” during games

I'm tempered in my expectations. We have 2 new forwards who need to learn our systems and develop chemistry. We have a lack of mature mids, and will be leaning on second year players and guys who haven't played there much. I think it will take time

We might make finals this year, or fyfe or mundy might go down and we're ****** in the middle against most midfields.
Are you suggesting we have systems in our forward half? I am unconvinced to say the least.

Back