Status
Not open for further replies.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nathan Horbury appointed new Senior Coach at South Bendigo - super player. Nearly joined them a few years ago when a Brady Childs was given the role but never came due to a protracted clearance dispute. Will be one of the competition's best players.

Stewart Crameri involved at Maryborough after returning to live in the town. Great get for the club who are really on the improve and very active in the recruiting market ATM. Coming from a long way back but in much better health than Castemaine and Kyneton who look like they may have lost a few due to money troubles.

Kangaroo Flat also very active and have opened the cheque book - been there many times using this approach with generally poor results - only time will tell.

Pat McKenna returning to Gisborne from Melbourne - great get for a club really progressing forward.

What is the reason why AFL CV are looking at another club on the eastern side of Bendigo - perhaps they should just focus on getting their own house in order as well as ironing out the problems in the league. The placement of a BFNL club in the northern part of the city would be a much better option IMO.

AFL CV are worried about the strength and numbers of juniors available to Strathfieldsaye

Golden Square have signed Alex Marklew from Essendon VFL and Wangaratta Rovers.
Sam Brinsmead from Calivil United any information on this kid??

South Bendigo have lost Isaiah Miller too Rochester good mate Liam Barlets is cost too signing at Rochester also!

With Gisborne, Kangaroo Flat & South Bendigo all, at this stage, appearing to be recruiting solidly, it looks like there will be a real battle to get in the final five next season which will be good. I am sure Square will be back in business and smarting as well. They also seem to be recruiting well. All in all there are some really good players coming into the league. Having said that I still have my money on another Eaglehawk v Strath grand final.

The concept of a new team is interesting. I am not sure about it, but at least (finally) a new idea is being tossed up by the administration. On the negative side I don't see how Castlemaine can keep going on as they are.

Golden Square have signed Alex Marklew from Essendon VFL and Wangaratta Rovers.
Sam Brinsmead from Calivil United any information on this kid??

South Bendigo have lost Isaiah Miller too Rochester good mate Liam Barlets is cost too signing at Rochester also!

Brinsmead ex-pios from mildura way. Solid footballer, nothing too flashy about him but a ripper bloke

Would be surprised if bartels went to Rochy unless his gf is going with him...

BFNL comp is ******. Eaglehak and Strathfieldsye to play off in 2 most likely 3 or 4 of the next grand finals. No other teams are even close.

I take it you don’t take much notice of what’s going on down the highway in Gisborne.

The team of 21 year olds that couldn’t stay with Sandhurst in the last quarter of the prelim will be another year older.

Pat McKenna will add at least 40 goals, hard nut Jack Baker will be a huge bonus. A few kids may filter back from the Cannons and the premiership winning Under 18s will provide some terrific young kids. Under 18 Captain Liam Spear is a wonderful decision maker who has already played very good senior footy as a 17 year old.

They beat Eaglehawk this year.

I think they’ll go really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I take it you don’t take much notice of what’s going on down the highway in Gisborne.

The team of 21 year olds that couldn’t stay with Sandhurst in the last quarter of the prelim will be another year older.

Pat McKenna will add at least 40 goals, hard nut Jack Baker will be a huge bonus. A few kids may filter back from the Cannons and the premiership winning Under 18s will provide some terrific young kids. Under 18 Captain Liam Spear is a wonderful decision maker who has already played very good senior footy as a 17 year old.

The best Eaglehawk last year.

I think they’ll go really well.

Exciting things happening is Gisborne (as is should be given the towns population, rich football history, proximity to Melbourne and AFL CV points allocation).

They're very good at home and have a bright future ahead..but so do the big Bendigo clubs and until they beat a Burra or Storm away from the graveyard I think they'll be fighting for the 3rd, 4th and 5th spot. Time will tell

If O'Rourke suits up watch out, bfl is having an injection of quality players
Exciting things happening is Gisborne (as is should be given the towns population, rich football history, proximity to Melbourne and AFL CV points allocation).

They're very good at home and have a bright future ahead..but so do the big Bendigo clubs and until they beat a Burra or Storm away from the graveyard I think they'll be fighting for the 3rd, 4th and 5th spot. Time will tell

Interesting article in today's Bendigo Advertiser about the country clubs in the BFNL meeting as they clearly feel like second class citizens.

One of the quotes of the Kyneton president Karen O'Sullivan was:

“We think it’s time the league acknowledges there isn’t a level playing field and that there’s some genuine attempts to fix it.”

Some of us on this forum have been saying this for over a decade. I hope this issue finally starts to get some real attention in the administration where it matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article in today's Bendigo Advertiser about the country clubs in the BFNL meeting as they clearly feel like second class citizens.

“We think it’s time the league acknowledges there isn’t a level playing field and that there’s some genuine attempts to fix it.”

Some of us on this forum have been saying this for over a decade. I hope this issue finally starts to get some real attention in the administration where it matters.

Again...what do people realistically expect a league to do?

I thought this was a good article. The head in the sand approach has been prevalent for many years by the league and now Commission. Whilst it is not an easy matter to address, parties have continually stated all is well. The predictability of the league is having an impact in many ways, best seen by attendances at the BFNL finals this year which were down.

I think certain clubs are very supportive of doing something but others like the "easy games"....

Good to see this matter getting some publicity.

Again...what do people realistically expect a league to do?

The league needs to do a few things.

Communicate clearly about what the issues are
Show some concern and send a delegation to discuss what the clubs see as road blocks and issues
Have an understanding of the clubs specific issues - help build a plan or strategy on a short term, medium term and long term fix
Be in constant contact to see if the plan is working
Review the player points and salary cap issues and offer an unlevel playing field to help them improve.

Just because the BFL is working from a AFL Vic standard text book doesn't mean the league cannot think outside the square. Leadership is all about being involved and working with clubs to get better. Is that not the league and Hub's role?

Roota you ask what are they expected to do, how about engage the clubs correctly and work with anyone that's struggling. Footy cubs are a small business and have turnover, taxes, insurance and working issues associated with every business.
The money paid to the hub is supposed to provide the above functions. Its up to the league to help fix it in partnership with clubs. Ifs its only up to the clubs the league is dead, as they will look to a league that will support them when its tough and join that one for their specific needs at that time.
I'm sick of reading on here that the clubs should have all the answers.

“GFNC is very pleased to announce that Casey Summerfield (former captain)and Scott Walsh (2012 Michelson Medalist) will be returning to the kennel for the 2019 season!”

With the return of AFL listed Pat McKenna and list maturity I’d expect exciting times ahead for the graveyard dogs.

“GFNC is very pleased to announce that Casey Summerfield (former captain)and Scott Walsh (2012 Michelson Medalist) will be returning to the kennel for the 2019 season!”

With the return of AFL listed Pat McKenna and list maturity I’d expect exciting times ahead for the graveyard dogs.

And now Tim Walsh.

Impressive recruiting by Gisborne.

My young fella is thinking of joining the Barrett brothers at Golden Square. Can anyone tell me what their depth is like? My young fella was a handy back/wing for team in KDFL seniors. Wondering if there would be the occasional chance in the seniors depending on their depth? Hard question I know, but if Square’s depth not so strong, then maybe a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back