Racing Melbourne Cup 2018 and all Cup Day discussion.(Posting of bets after the race will be carded)

The winner is.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for the Paris 1,2,3 for the Forum poll.....

Lol. Why have you put it up so early!? Still almost a week until the field is finalised and one of the major trials still to be run. I won’t have my top 3 finalised until Sunday

He’s back. Thought I was going to have run the cup week comp this year.

On that note I’m not back in the country until Sunday. Can you jam up the thread as a copy paste from last year. Same rules / prizes will apply.

As others mentioned earlier can't believe the price on offer for Chestnut Coat
Spooked from 1 run in ground he doesn't like with a tempo that was all over the place
Took some more at 41's today

Agree re: Youngstar, will be in my multiples

I won’t be touching anything from Caulfield that didn’t finish top 5. How could you possibly back Chestnut off that. I guess could turn it around and fill a place but they just do not win the cup off lead up runs like that.

#noexcuses

Lol. Why have you put it up so early!? Still almost a week until the field is finalised and one of the major trials still to be run. I won’t have my top 3 finalised until Sunday

Because other people like to keep an eye on it in the build up rather than just 2 days before the race.

I won’t be touching anything from Caulfield that didn’t finish top 5. How could you possibly back Chestnut off that. I guess could turn it around and fill a place but they just do not win the cup off lead up runs like that.

#noexcuses

One major excuse. Soft track. I put a line through it as soon as the weather came at Caulfield. If we get a firm track at Flemington id expect a major improvement

One major excuse. Soft track. I put a line through it as soon as the weather came at Caulfield. If we get a firm track at Flemington id expect a major improvement

Add to that being post 3 wide without cover for most of the race.

I think if he can reproduce his Tenno Sho run, that's good enough to win.

#noexcuses

Based on the CC, I won't be backing Cliffs to win either. Place maybe. BS and Homesman were a sitting duck in the straight. Cliffs had every chance to nail them but like I saw in his previous races, his run just seems to end with a few hundred to go. Same thing goes for Red Verdon. Neither are a winning chance.

If the rumours are true that Duretto had a slight setback, then a line goes through him as well.

Then there's Best Solution with 57.5kg????

Based on the CC, I won't be backing Cliffs to win either. Place maybe. BS and Homesman were a sitting duck in the straight. Cliffs had every chance to nail them but like I saw in his previous races, his run just seems to end with a few hundred to go. Same thing goes for Red Verdon. Neither are a winning chance.

If the rumours are true that Duretto had a slight setback, then a line goes through him as well.

You’re kidding yourself. Did anything make ground in the CC? No, but Cliffs did. The race was run at a snails pace. Have you seen comparisons to last years race? You think if Williams had sent out a pacemaker, Cliffs wouldn’t have run over the top of them?

Happy to be on Cliffs.

You’re kidding yourself. Did anything make ground in the CC? No, but Cliffs did. The race was run at a snails pace. Have you seen comparisons to last years race? You think if Williams had sent out a pacemaker, Cliffs wouldn’t have run over the top of them?

Happy to be on Cliffs.

No worries. Back him if you want. :thumbsu:

Like I said, I think he's a genuine place chance but that's it.

Virtually every race I've watched of his, he gets into a winning position but then just seems to die on his run.... and that's over 2,400m not 3,200m.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caulfield Cup 2004-2018
2018 Best Solution (Ire.) Homesman (USA) Thecliffsofmoher (Ire.)
2017 Boom Time Single Gaze Johannes Vermeer (Ire.)
2016 Jameka Scottish (Ire.) Exospheric (GB)
2015 Mongolian Khan Trip To Paris (Ire.) Our Ivanhoe (Ger.)
2014 Admire Rakti (Japan) Rising Romance (NZ) Lucia Valentina (NZ)
2013 Fawkner Dandino (GB) Dear Demi
2012 Dunaden (Fr.) Alcopop Lights Of Heaven (NZ)
2011 Southern Speed Green Moon (Ire.) Tullamore (NZ)
2010 Descarado (NZ) Harris Tweed (NZ) Monaco Consul (NZ)
2009 Viewed Roman Emperor (NZ) Vigor (NZ)
2008 All The Good (Ire.) Nom Du Jeu (NZ) Barbaricus
2007 Master O'Reilly (NZ) Douro Valley Princess Coup
2006 Tawqeet (USA) Aqua D Amore Delta Blues (Japan)
2005 Railings Eye Popper (Japan) Mummify
2004 Elvstroem Makybe Diva (GB) Grey Song

Translated to MC
2017 Boom Time 15th Single Gaze 17th Johannes Vermeer (Ire.) 2nd
2016 Jameka 15th Scottish (Ire.) DNR Exospheric (GB) 8th
2015 Mongolian Khan DNR Trip To Paris (Ire.) 4th Our Ivanhoe (Ger.) 10th
2014 Admire Rakti (Japan) 22nd/DNF Rising Romance (NZ) DNR Lucia Valentina (NZ) 13th
2013 Fawkner 6th Dandino (GB) 5th Dear Demi 19th
2012 Dunaden (Fr.) 14th Alcopop DNR Lights Of Heaven (NZ) 16th
2011 Southern Speed DNR Green Moon (Ire.) DNR (2012 winner) DNR Tullamore (NZ) 14th
2010 Descarado (NZ) DNF Harris Tweed (NZ) 5th Monaco Consul (NZ) 14th
2009 Viewed 7th (2008 winner) Roman Emperor (NZ) 21st Vigor (NZ) DNR
2008 All The Good (Ire.) DNR Nom Du Jeu (NZ) 8th Barbaricus 19th
2007 Master O'Reilly 8th Douro Valley 11th Princess Coup 13th
2006 Tawqeet 19th Aqua D'Amour DNR Delta Blues 1st
2005 Railings 14th Eye Popper 12th Mummify DNR
2004 Elvstroem 4th Makybe Diva 1st GreySong 13th

And what does it all mean? Apart from wasting an hour it really doesnt translate.

Though it is a good prep race it isnt as defining as some make it

Agreed. Was happy to consider Duretto but not after its setback.

Best solution goes in multiples but risking it for the win.

Caulfield Cup 2004-2018
2018 Best Solution (Ire.) Homesman (USA) Thecliffsofmoher (Ire.)
2017 Boom Time Single Gaze Johannes Vermeer (Ire.)
2016 Jameka Scottish (Ire.) Exospheric (GB)
2015 Mongolian Khan Trip To Paris (Ire.) Our Ivanhoe (Ger.)
2014 Admire Rakti (Japan) Rising Romance (NZ) Lucia Valentina (NZ)
2013 Fawkner Dandino (GB) Dear Demi
2012 Dunaden (Fr.) Alcopop Lights Of Heaven (NZ)
2011 Southern Speed Green Moon (Ire.) Tullamore (NZ)
2010 Descarado (NZ) Harris Tweed (NZ) Monaco Consul (NZ)
2009 Viewed Roman Emperor (NZ) Vigor (NZ)
2008 All The Good (Ire.) Nom Du Jeu (NZ) Barbaricus
2007 Master O'Reilly (NZ) Douro Valley Princess Coup
2006 Tawqeet (USA) Aqua D Amore Delta Blues (Japan)
2005 Railings Eye Popper (Japan) Mummify
2004 Elvstroem Makybe Diva (GB) Grey Song

Translated to MC
2017 Boom Time 15th Single Gaze 17th Johannes Vermeer (Ire.) 2nd
2016 Jameka 15th Scottish (Ire.) DNR Exospheric (GB) 8th
2015 Mongolian Khan DNR Trip To Paris (Ire.) 4th Our Ivanhoe (Ger.) 10th
2014 Admire Rakti (Japan) 22nd/DNF Rising Romance (NZ) DNR Lucia Valentina (NZ) 13th
2013 Fawkner 6th Dandino (GB) 5th Dear Demi 19th
2012 Dunaden (Fr.) 14th Alcopop DNR Lights Of Heaven (NZ) 16th
2011 Southern Speed DNR Green Moon (Ire.) DNR (2012 winner) DNR Tullamore (NZ) 14th
2010 Descarado (NZ) DNF Harris Tweed (NZ) 5th Monaco Consul (NZ) 14th
2009 Viewed 7th (2008 winner) Roman Emperor (NZ) 21st Vigor (NZ) DNR
2008 All The Good (Ire.) DNR Nom Du Jeu (NZ) 8th Barbaricus 19th
2007 Master O'Reilly 8th Douro Valley 11th Princess Coup 13th
2006 Tawqeet 19th Aqua D'Amour DNR Delta Blues 1st
2005 Railings 14th Eye Popper 12th Mummify DNR
2004 Elvstroem 4th Makybe Diva 1st GreySong 13th

And what does it all mean? Apart from wasting an hour it really doesnt translate.

Though it is a good prep race it isnt as defining as some make it

Backed Tawqeet to win the double in 2006. Would've won a s**t load if he didn't injure his foot pre melbourne cup. Was clearly affected by it in that mc run.

A stupid one but I think I'll be throwing Vengeur Masque in multiples. Lost a heap of ground when our Taj Mahal poured it on in CC as it has no turn of foot but was grinding it out to the line again at the finish. If the MC turns into a slog it will run 3200m out and chance to plod a top 4 place at 100-1.

Back