On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally cracked open my copy of Marrying Mr Darcy and once the hesitation over theme were done with my all middle aged male player group were enjoying a fine game.

Also played Lords of Waterdeep with both expansions. Great additions to both games.

upload_2018-11-6_19-9-41.png

I've been playing in a PBEM tournament for the classic 'The Russian Campaign'. Normally the game goes for twenty-six turns, but in this tournament it's only 5 (the first 10 months of the campaign.) The Axis player starts at -21 points and they need to get to -1 to win. Points are gained through occupying towns, cities, and oil fields.I think I've learned more about how to play in this short scenario than in all the other games I've played combined. Because you're not playing for a long term win you really have to go all out with all the sneaky tactics and low-odds attacks. It's a good lesson for someone like me who only likes to attack at big odds. The only thing that really went awry for me in this game was a sea invasion (another thing I rarely attempt): the infantry division attempting the invasion was lost at sea.

It's not the end of the game, but there's only my opponent's turn left and from here, as the Axis, I don't think I can lose. It's winter, and his movement will be restricted; he won't be able to get many units to where they're needed. This is the first time I've won for a couple of years or so. Last time, as the Russians, my opponent neglected to protect Bucharest: my cavalry captured it and so the Rumanian army, and then my opponent, surrendered.

View attachment 582078

I've been playing in a PBEM tournament for the classic 'The Russian Campaign'. Normally the game goes for twenty-six turns, but in this tournament it's only 5 (the first 10 months of the campaign.) The Axis player starts at -21 points and they need to get to -1 to win. Points are gained through occupying towns, cities, and oil fields.I think I've learned more about how to play in this short scenario than in all the other games I've played combined. Because you're not playing for a long term win you really have to go all out with all the sneaky tactics and low-odds attacks. It's a good lesson for someone like me who only likes to attack at big odds. The only thing that really went awry for me in this game was a sea invasion (another thing I rarely attempt): the infantry division attempting the invasion was lost at sea.

It's not the end of the game, but there's only my opponent's turn left and from here, as the Axis, I don't think I can lose. It's winter, and his movement will be restricted; he won't be able to get many units to where they're needed. This is the first time I've won for a couple of years or so. Last time, as the Russians, my opponent neglected to protect Bucharest: my cavalry captured it and so the Rumanian army, and then my opponent, surrendered.
Good work. Leningrad is always tricky to take. Getting Army Group North and the Finns in position at the right time is tricky.

Thanks Davemonkey - I wish it was all my own work! The weather system in this version of the game helped a bit:
If Clear is rolled in Sept/Oct 41, the weather is automatically Snow in Nov/Dec 41.
If Light Mud is rolled in Sept/Oct 41, the weather is automatically Light Mud in Nov/Dec 41.
I was lucky enough to roll Light Mud.

I was also fortunate that my opponent wasn't too sure what to do with his Partisans, so after taking Leningrad I had free railway lines to move my armor from the north to wherever they were needed south of that. But most of all, some really good dice rolls really helped!

Horror-House-B-Ant-Parker-Board-Game-Geek.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first time in about 6 months, my wife and I for our solo gaming have started this week getting away from Gloomhaven. Not that we're tired of or have completed it yet, but we wanted to get in some other games. Still on the Co-op theme for the first one back. We finally got around to completing the first scenario in Mansions of Madness and are part way through the second scenario (below).

MoM.png

For the first time in about 6 months, my wife and I for our solo gaming have started this week getting away from Gloomhaven. Not that we're tired of or have completed it yet, but we wanted to get in some other games. Still on the Co-op theme for the first one back. We finally got around to completing the first scenario in Mansions of Madness and are part way through the second scenario (below).

View attachment 597474
Nice, looking forward to playing this next week while on hols

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

MoM is on my family Kris Kringle wish list.

F1F67D49-7245-4BF0-A1D3-78E8588CBFE1.jpeg

So first of the Christmas / wife’s birthday games played today - Everdell. Art work is top notch, with the game itself a straight forward worker placement game, that is neither bad or great. Will play more, but artwork aside (one of the best ones in our collection) it’s not going to rocket into a top 5 or even 10 list for me. A narrow 43 to 39 victory point win for the first go.

As per almost all our games, wanting to see how it goes with more then two players. the upside of a gamer spouse is getting in lots of gaming without it being frowned upon, the downside is we rarely get in games with more then two players.

Oh, my copy of Nemesis arrived a few weeks ago and have had a crack solo to get a handle on the gameplay - likely to get a run next week with my regular gaming group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back