Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Pretty decent analogy

What if there is only one left and someone beat you to it at 3.80? Which could well be the case here
If we think there are 7 very good options in this draft, we keep pick 7 and take the best of those when its our turn. We would only trade up if we believe there are less than 7 very good options.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we think there are 7 very good options in this draft, we keep pick 7 and take the best of those when its our turn. We would only trade up if we believe there are less than 7 very good options.
The kings don't excite me. Hoping they're both gone before our pick then we will have a choice of who is left over likely 2 of rozee rankine or smith. No need to trade up

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
The kings don't excite me. Hoping they're both gone before our pick then we will have a choice of who is left over likely 2 of rozee rankine or smith. No need to trade up
Another possibility is that one of the picks before us is used not on a King but on some other surprise selection that none of the phantom drafts expected, I'm thinking a bit like Clayton Oliver came from nowhere to be an early pick in his draft year.

Do you know if Sam Power does or doesn't rate the Kings? Because if he doesn't, then we should already be talking to other clubs about trading up the order.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Another possibility is that one of the picks before us is used not on a King but on some other surprise selection that none of the phantom drafts expected, I'm thinking a bit like Clayton Oliver came from nowhere to be an early pick in his draft year.

Do you know if Sam Power does or doesn't rate the Kings? Because if he doesn't, then we should already be talking to other clubs about trading up the order.
The likely one is Caldwell. I have no idea who power rates and I'm not sure many people do. His held his cards very close to his chest so far

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC

Agreed, I just don’t see the need for another 4 - 5 year project player. Which is a little funny given I have often lamented our poor KPP recruitment, but recent history show very few make a big impact, regardless of draft position....

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
These things are always in the eye of the beholder DR.
Not sure I see traits of a A grader in him , but he does remind me a little of Ward , so if he ended anywhere near as good we would all be happy.
Arguing against myself ;)

I've had hits and misses like all on here , pre draft I was hot for Bont and Stringer.
Last year Naughton and Red were my wish list.:cool:
One I got very very very wrong -- Macrae ----- sometimes it's great to be wrong :):):):):)

I agree it's always wise to temper expectations, but Smith looks the goods.

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There’s more scope for Ben King to play AFL level earlier then some people think provided he plays as a defender. Forward at AFL level is a totally new game to juniors.

He was BOG playing against North’s VFL team this year playing centre half back. His closing speed for a bloke that size is amazing (I can’t remember his 20 metre sprint time but it was super impressive). Plus he’s very agile and a good field kick. Don’t see him being the same kind of contested marking beast Naughton is and he’s still going to get outmuscled one on one but if he can get separation from his opponent / play loose man and have a chance at attacking the ball I could see him being a pretty effective key back.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Doesn’t matter who Power rates, it’s who Austin rates.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The reality is that the draft is a bit of a lottery and whilst the recruiting teams have got better at picking players on exposed form and potential, no one can predict what will happen to them when they grow and come up against match hardened men.
Keeping your hands on a top 10 pick means we have just as much chance of picking the best player in the draft as anyone else and even then the best player will probably emerge from outside the top 10.
The past 10 to 15 years of drafts have always proven that.

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If the dogs were in Goldcoasts position.
I would draft the King twins ,
(Obviously we are not with Boyd , Schache
and English.)
Having both provides a better chance of keeping them.
And losing Lynch and May provides new opportunity.
But being Gold coast they will do the same
as they always do.And draft players they won't keep.
And eventually be rellocated to Tasmania.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If the dogs were in Goldcoasts position.
I would draft the King twins ,
(Obviously we are not with Boyd , Schache
and English.)
Having both provides a better chance of keeping them.
And losing Lynch and May provides new opportunity.
But being Gold coast they will do the same
as they always do.And draft players they won't keep.
And eventually be rellocated to Tasmania.
I think the sun's need players that can play a role early and help them climb the ladder or at the very least not get slaughtered every week. It's a lot easier to retain players if you're winning games

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Apart from the excellent goal those highlights were a lot of him getting tackled and fumbly disposals.
Not putting too much stock in it but ugh.

To be fair though, we would find some faults with Rankine or Walsh or Lukosius as well. I bet we would even find faults in Bont's draft year highlights if we turned back the clock.

The kids are 17-18 years old, so it's about potential as well.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
To be fair though, we would find some faults with Rankine or Walsh or Lukosius as well. I bet we would even find faults in Bont's draft year highlights if we turned back the clock.

The kids are 17-18 years old, so it's about potential as well.
Faults are fine but he just never seemed to have time with the ball.
I like his speed and aggression in those highlights. But he seemed to struggle to get through congestion, which is my favourite attribute in a mid. It's what Bont, Libba and Macrae excelled at as a juniors.
Hopefully it is just a poor sample size.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Was it just me or was there a bit of Bob Murphy about Rozee? Not sure what his podcast is like or his book!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Now that you've said that I can't not see it. He does seem to move and play very similar to Bob. Also has the same ability overhead and the versatility to play forward and back like Bob did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back