Underrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

Planes are a unique situation because in an emergency the plane has to divert its course and land which take up to an hour when some ones life is in the balance.

I agree that people need to take personal responsibility (like I do) like with this bullshit with Bunnings now putting onions under the sausage because some idiot slipped on an onion.

Planes are a unique situation, but it's possible that someone could have any number of medical episodes not connected to food allergens, and it's also possible that someone could have an undiagnosed allergy. AFAIK airlines still insist the pilots eat different meals in case of food poisoning. I've got a mate allergic to fish that has reacted to stuff that you wouldn't think has fish in it. There are only so many eventualities you can plan for and just randomly banning peanuts and ignoring everything else is a pretty silly approach.

It sounds like that's exactly what the case is. There will come a time when so much personal responsibility has been distributed to businesses and other members of society that you will have a genuine legal case for suing someone for you tripping on your own feet.

I don't think it's society's responsibility. The one who carries the risk should be the person who could pay the price, they have the intimate knowledge of their condition and they know the best course of action to keep themselves safe.

Rounding off every sharp corner in the world doesn't teach people to avoid them, it emboldens people to live dangerously.

I know a girl who is deadly allergic to nuts so whenever she is coming to a party that will involve food everything is clearly identified as being either safe or not and she is very careful about it - when she isn't there it's a free for all, but we don't remove all risk of allergic reaction on the off-chance she will both show up and recklessly start shoveling items into her mouth.

Children are a totally different situation but it's more important to teach them to avoid the sharp edges than remove them all, coping techniques are more valuable than padded walls because there will come a time when you aren't running ahead making the world safe and when they get hurt they will blame you, because your job was clearly to manage all that for them.

People die of asthma from dust in thunderstorms. We are really, really fragile creatures. We need to manage our own sharp edges.

I'm glad a few people get it.

As I've already said I don't really give a s**t if aeroplanes don't serve peanuts, but I think banning them is reactionary nonsense. A few weeks ago I had one of those little blue foil packets of Nobby's peanuts in my carry on because it was on my bench when I packed my bag. I didn't end up eating them as an in-flight snack but do we want to create an environment where bringing a bag of peanuts in your bag is illegal and screened at check-in? I mean if I got them out of my bag and the person next to me said 'I'm highly allergic, I might react if you open them near me' then I would put them away no problems at all.

Was this not about nuts on airplanes? Or have I really misunderstood this argument? People are making out like you have had some deeply important long afforded personal right taken away.

Take your stance and pick your side, i for one, would support a peanut ban to assist those who might f**king die from them on airplanes. All other stuff is another discussion.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to look at the 'peanut ban' in terms of the logic behind it and not just the specific example.

If you support banning peanuts to assist those who 'might ******* die' why dismiss other food allergens that are in fact more common? Just because nobody has (yet) suggested banning eggs or gluten or milk or whatever on flights doesn't mean the logic isn't similar if not identical. How much do we as society want to bubble wrap things for people?

How much do we as society want to bubble wrap things for people?

As much as is reasonable to do so.

Now you’ve said yourself you don’t care if they ban peanuts it has next to no impact on you so from a reasonability point of view it tick that box and move on to the next (zero negative impact, minor potential positive impact) don’t argue the peanut ban because of what it might mean next, discuss the next one next.

I work as a construction Pm I think somewhere between 50 and 70% of the stuff we legislate and enforce from a safety point of view is ludicrous and over the top, I advocate for cyclists wearing helmets not to be mandatory both of those things are based off personal responsibility for your own safety.

Using the “logic” that you are discussing for peanuts is fine but you’re essentially doing the same blanket/Slippery slope argument you’re arguing against “oh if we let them ban peanuts what they’ll ban everything so we shouldn’t allow them to ban anything”.

Judge the ban on its merit IF it’s raised.

I talked peanuts on planes as it was the example here and an article was calling for it, it yet to read or hear of any of the other items raised having the same so why even concern yourself with it

Banning peanuts on planes is an unacceptable inconvenience for you? I take the rest of your point (without entirely agreeing with it) but if they banned peanuts on planes tomorrow you would stop flying?
Unacceptable inconvenience does not equal disqualifying factor.

It means I would make noise about it, especially if the flight had nobody with said allergy on it.

Unacceptable isn't intolerable.

Unacceptable inconvenience does not equal disqualifying factor.

It means I would make noise about it, especially if the flight had nobody with said allergy on it.

Unacceptable isn't intolerable.

“Unacceptable isn’t intolerable” what a take.

Your compassion knows no bounds.

It’s peanuts on a plane...

Language is important.

So is not being unreasonable. You’re saying you would make noise about them banning peanuts on a plane... seriously. I’d hazard a guess most people here haven’t eaten peanuts on a plane in some time so what difference would it make to anyone’s lives aside from some ridiculous call to arms about PC gone mad or personal responsibility.

I read a while back a possible reason for increased rates of allergies might be due to the differences in how children are raised in the modern day compared to in the past. There is a lot less contact with different bacteria’s due to kids spending less time playing outdoors so their bodies do not adapt and become more tolerant to different particles/bacteria which may lessen the ability to digest or tolerate things like gluten, dairy etc.

Makes sense to me. As a kid I was constantly playing outside, crashing my bike, playing sport etc. who knows what kinds of bacteria I came into contact with from the ground, dirt, water in lakes and whatever else and I have zero allergies, have never had asthma or serious skin issues and nor have any of my immediate family. I had a pretty varied diet thanks to both my parents’ ethnic backgrounds and was also given vitamins, fish oil and other supplements most of my young life.

Purely anecdotal but there has to be something in exposing children to different bacteria through diet and lifestyle that might reduce risk of allergies.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always amazing how quick people are to defend their right to do something if someone asks them not to, even if they weren't going to do it in the first place.

Real nuts (macadamias, almonds, brazil, hazelnut) are all tastier, healthier and less prone to causing allergies than peanuts which are actually a legume (bean family).

It's always amazing how quick people are to defend their right to do something if someone asks them not to, even if they weren't going to do it in the first place.

It just seems there is two different conversations going on in the last couple of pages. Some people want to discuss peanuts on aeroplanes and nothing else, while others want to discuss the rationale behind such decision making.

It just seems there is two different conversations going on in the last couple of pages. Some people want to discuss peanuts on aeroplanes and nothing else, while others want to discuss the rationale behind such decision making.
Peanuts on planes is not the same as peanuts elsewhere, not sure why this is so hard to understand.

The risk from peanuts for people that are allergic is different to that for people with egg milk or gluten allergies in general as well when discussing the peanuts on a plane type scenario

Those wanting to discuss the "rationale" are just dismissing this and throwing up unrelated what ifs as an excuse for bitching about not being able to eat peanuts on a plane

I read a while back a possible reason for increased rates of allergies might be due to the differences in how children are raised in the modern day compared to in the past. There is a lot less contact with different bacteria’s due to kids spending less time playing outdoors so their bodies do not adapt and become more tolerant to different particles/bacteria which may lessen the ability to digest or tolerate things like gluten, dairy etc.

Makes sense to me. As a kid I was constantly playing outside, crashing my bike, playing sport etc. who knows what kinds of bacteria I came into contact with from the ground, dirt, water in lakes and whatever else and I have zero allergies, have never had asthma or serious skin issues and nor have any of my immediate family. I had a pretty varied diet thanks to both my parents’ ethnic backgrounds and was also given vitamins, fish oil and other supplements most of my young life.

Purely anecdotal but there has to be something in exposing children to different bacteria through diet and lifestyle that might reduce risk of allergies.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doubt it. My eldest played outside in dirt, mud, rain, hail or whatever. Has lived overseas for a few years. Has never been kept oversanitised. Has been exposed to plenty of bacteria I'm sure. Lived an absolutely typical 1980s childhdood. Has developed several allergies.

I wouldn’t have thought it’s that amazing, you could not want to do something but still find it stupid to be told not to do it. Humans can be capable of that level of critical thought, as hard as that might be to believe.

Doubt it. My eldest played outside in dirt, mud, rain, hail or whatever. Has lived overseas for a few years. Has never been kept oversanitised. Has been exposed to plenty of bacteria I'm sure. Lived an absolutely typical 1980s childhdood. Has developed several allergies.

Hmm yeah like I say I realise my evidence is purely anecdotal...what allergies may I ask?

The other thing that seems to come up on this topic (had a long train ride today) is when to introduce certain foods to newborns to reduce risk of intolerance, most seem to say around 6 months as a ballpark kind of timeframe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back