Delisted #45 Tom Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

IntroTomCampbell_246g.jpg

Games - 0
Goals - 0
Best and Fairest - N/A

Date of Birth - 02-11-1991
Recruited 2011 Rookie Draft selection, No. 27.
Height/Weight:
201cm, 101kg

Campbell came to Whitten Oval as the Bulldogs’ second rookie pick in late 2011 largely on the recommendation of new assistant coach, Shannon Grant. Despite winning the Bendigo Bombers best first year player award in 2011 he arrived without fanfare or recognition.
Judging by his pre-season form in 2012 that won’t last for long. Against North Melbourne he was the most effective forward with 3.3 in a low scoring match. The features were his strong grabs and good positional play. He also starred for Williamstown in the opening round of the VFL for 2012.
Campbell’s strengths are that he is already a well developed unit (101kg), his strong marking and his ability to play as both a ruck and a key forward.
Being a rookie, Campbell’s biggest problem is that there are three designated ruckman already on the senior list, with Minson in his prime years and big things expected of Cordy and Roughead this year. However his chance may come with the long term injury to Tom Williams, or if any of the ruckman ahead of him are injured. It seems only a matter of a time before he gets a chance, and at 21 he has his best years ahead of him.

King_snow

Team Captain
Mar 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok so i don't get to see many willy games but if there is anyone who could update me how how Tom is tracking i would greatly appreciate it

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Exclusive article from our website: Campbell's confidence

"With NAB Cup looming, excitement is beginning to build for Tom Campbell as he prepares to take on season 2013. Off the back of hard work in the gym under new Strength and Conditioning Coach Andy Barnett, the 21-year-old has embraced his first full pre-season"

Flash86

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Clippers
How good was Tommy Campbell!!! wanna give him a toast and some recognition. Campbell played the job that we been wanting Cordy to play. That ruck/forward. he did struggle in the ruck contest though, but he is 21 and against mumford and pyke is a crazy duo to ruck against when ur young and learning your craft. they are big bodied ruckman.
but those 2 goals at the start of the game were awesome. leads well as a forward. he used his ruckwork in the forward line, by creating a contest, and tapping the ball to a player in a position near the goals, if he was outmanned in the marking contest. shows how ruck work can help in the forward line.
issue is that he doesn't take marks with one grab. seems to juggle the mark. but if he can work on that, he will be a great player. seems to have good pace for a ruckman/forward.
really love campbells work. and just wanna mention it. Great work tom. Keep it up.
As others have said, I reckon for rest of season, we should try a forward line of Campbell, jones and grant as our targets. grant perfect third tall. and Campbell can play the role of FF that we have been desperately craving.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Has improved out of sight as a forward since the start of the year. Always had confidence he'd make it as a ruckman but didn't have much confidence in him contributing as a forward.

Still needs to work on grabbing those marks with one grab, as you say, but there is a spot for him if he wants it and I hope he takes it.

Flash86

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Clippers
Has improved out of sight as a forward since the start of the year. Always had confidence he'd make it as a ruckman but didn't have much confidence in him contributing as a forward.

Still needs to work on grabbing those marks with one grab, as you say, but there is a spot for him if he wants it and I hope he takes it.
totally agree there is a spot for him there if he wants it. He has 4 games to cement himself as our FF. I ain't saying he is the answer to our problems. But if he can show that he can hold down the FF spot, then we might decide we are right for talls, and go after Kelly in the draft, and more leg speed in the trading/free agency. I don't want to count Campbell out of making it as our forward. he is only 21. I believe we really do need a true key forward, but man has he turned it around since the start of the year.

Flash86

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Clippers
Is this guy eligible for rising star. Is only 21 years old. Played less than 20 games before entering this year.
Was 12th game tonight and has played 3 games this year.
Big 4 goal haul for him tonight.
Loving tommy Campbell!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this guy eligible for rising star. Is only 21 years old. Played less than 20 games before entering this year.
Was 12th game tonight and has played 3 games this year.
Big 4 goal haul for him tonight.
Loving tommy Campbell!!!
No.
The criteria: he must have played no more than 10 games at start of season and be under 21 on 1st January. He is OK on the first count but not on the 2nd. He missed out by 2 months.

Flash86

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Clippers
No.
The criteria: he must have played no more than 10 games at start of season and be under 21 on 1st January. He is OK on the first count but not on the 2nd. He missed out by 2 months.
Was meant to write less than 10 games. My bad.
Well even though he isn't an option to be nominated for the rising star award, he is a rising star anyways.
For a ruckman to be able to play forward the way he does is fantastic. Such a great kick for goal and leads well.
His tap work is great to. In forward line, he taps it to crumbers really well.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The new part-time People's Beard has a new number - #15.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
VERY pleasantly surprised by big Tom in our intraclub hitout today.

Goldstein didn't play, but he put on a very good display of sure marking skills and ball use.

Drilled a 40 metre cross field pass that didn't get more than 10 feet off the ground, that you would expect to see from someone like Steele Sidebottom..

Last edited:
TC was serviceable for us until his kicking accuracy deserted him. Repeatedly choking in front of goal in 2017 stamped his papers IMO.

I wouldn't be unhappy if makes the most of his second chance, unless he somehow finds goal kicking form against us!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
TC was serviceable for us until his kicking accuracy deserted him. Repeatedly choking in front of goal in 2017 stamped his papers IMO.

I wouldn't be unhappy if makes the most of his second chance, unless he somehow finds goal kicking form against us!

Do you reckon he could do a defensive role on the likes of Lobb/Campbell/Darcy when they go forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back