Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
Port Adelaide Port, sounds good to me
Port Adelaide, “the Ports”, is my personal preference.

03A84B8C-E48C-4B05-AEB3-366FC59B29D9.jpeg

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At the risk of repeating points already made through the thread, I thought I'd drop in with my own personal thoughts on this.

Firstly, for those who don't understand the significance and meaning of the prison bars to Port fans, that's ok. You're not expected to know the history and heritage of every club. I know very little about other teams histories,and that's ok. The one thing that I'd ask is that you look at the argument from the perspective of a Port supporter. You don't have to agree or change your position, but at least give Port people the opportunity to explain why it means so much to us.

The Prison Bars are a symbol more than just a jumper. They represent where we come from, the wharves of Port Adelaide, where our players plied their trade in the early 1900's. They represent our history, our winning history, 34 SANFL premierships, 4 Champions of Australia, the praise of multiple Victorian football legends such as Hayden Bunton Sr and Norm Smith, and our own heroes; people like Fos Williams, Russel Ebert, Harold Oliver, Bob Quinn. These people are football legends, and they embody the qualities that Port value.

When we see the PBs, we don't think of black and white stripes - to be fair we probably don't think of wharf pylons during a game either - but we see the attributes that that jumper represents. Tough, Aggressive, Uncompromising football, played to the best of our ability 100% of the time. When a Port player puts this jumper on it is an expectation that they will uphold the values of our football club. This is the Jumper that Scott Hodges kicked 153 goals in in 1990, the jumper Russell Ebert wore when he won his record 4th Magarey Medal. This jumper was the jumper that Fos Williams wore when he led Port to an Australian record 6th senior premiership in a row, when Bob Quinn won a Magarey Medal after returning from WW2 with shrapnel in his leg, when we were the "Invincibles" in 1914, beating Carlton for our 4th Champions of Australia trophy.

We want to be able to celebrate our history and our heritage on the national stage, as every other club should be able to. We aren't a franchise with colours selected to capture a demographic, we're a prolifically successful, traditional club with the ambition to compete with the best of Australian football.

We don't want to take black and white stripes away from Collingwood, because we know what it feels like to have our identity removed from us. It hurts. Personally, I would be happy to say that we would never wear the Prison Bars against Collingwood in any form for the rest of eternity, because, to be fair to them, they were there first. I have the greatest respect for the Collingwood Football Club, and hope that we can work together to resolve this in a respectful manner, reminiscent of the 1951 season where together the clubs wore the same jumper, black stripes on white, as a sign of mateship and respect, working together to celebrate Australia's Jubilee.

This rant has gone on a little now, but this is something that I'm very passionate about, and hopefully it has given those who weren't sure why the Bars are so important some justification. I just want to be able to see Port they way my grandfather saw them, and if we don't get a chance to wear them soon, I fear that all of the history will fade and the meaning of the jumper will be lost.

This isn't just a jumper, it's a symbol.

Symbols are more powerful than anything an 8 year old could draw.

Feb 24, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Giants, Adelaide Strikers
#notealnodeal

We all dont want this, they are trying to silence the teal appreciators.

Prison Bars represent the past, let it die.

People who try to speak on behalf of an entire fanbase are arrogant, not everyone wants what the loud yet non majority portion of our fans want. But many live in fear of being ostracised for being anti prison bars. Even if you get 10,000 signatures that is still only 1 in 6 of our members actually being for this movement.

#notealnodeal

People who try to speak on behalf of an entire fanbase are arrogant, not everyone wants what the loud yet non majority portion of our fans want. But many live in fear of being ostracised for being anti prison bars. Even if you get 10,000 signatures that is still only 1 in 6 of our members actually being for this movement.
Your username choice is weird when you consider the type of posts you make.

Just like if I made a Southern Power account and said teal sucks and should die and the Prison Bars rule.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
#notealnodeal

You have the strangest username to opinion differential I can recall on these boards. What made you call yourself Alberton_Magpie if you're not really that enamoured with the history of the club?

Regardless, Both polls i've seen conducted on this topic amongst Port supporters (on the Port board and on Facebook) has shown overwhelming support for the return of the Prison Bar guernsey on a regular basis, like >85%. I'm not sure how you can claim some sort of silent majority based on those numbers.

Empirically, I lived through the Elimination Final week in 2014 and I know how enormously popular the guernsey was across the board then.

Feb 24, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Your username choice is weird when you consider the type of posts you make.

Just like if I made a Southern Power account and said teal sucks and should die and the Prison Bars rule.

The username I chose in 2004 after having several accounts banned as a young teenager does not reflect my current beliefs.

Feb 24, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
You have the strangest username to opinion differential I can recall on these boards. What made you call yourself Alberton_Magpie if you're not really that enamoured with the history of the club?

Regardless, Both polls i've seen conducted on this topic amongst Port supporters (on the Port board and on Facebook) has shown overwhelming support for the return of the Prison Bar guernsey on a regular basis, like >85%. I'm not sure how you can claim some sort of silent majority based on those numbers.

Empirically, I lived through the Elimination Final week in 2014 and I know how enormously popular the guernsey was across the board then.

That's funny because I just surveyed 300 port adelaide fans and 295 said they preferred teal. I also remember the buzz of teal socks back in the late 90s. I also know that Port Adelaide in 73% more likely to win an AFL premiership with the colour teal.

In reality we have 60,000 members so unless you get 30,001 signatures you are not the majority. I also really enjoyed wearing the prison bars in tr he elimination final and have a retail version of it. But that's because it was sticking it to the afl for trying to make us wear a clash at home.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
That's funny because I just surveyed 300 port adelaide fans and 295 said they preferred teal. I also remember the buzz of teal socks back in the late 90s. I also know that Port Adelaide in 73% more likely to win an AFL premiership with the colour teal.

This is silly. There are two polls that i'm aware of covering different demographics that show not just a preference, but an overwhelming majority. You can argue that you don't support the campaign but arguing that it's not popular amongst supporters is being deliberately misleading.

In reality we have 60,000 members so unless you get 30,001 signatures you are not the majority. I also really enjoyed wearing the prison bars in tr he elimination final and have a retail version of it. But that's because it was sticking it to the afl for trying to make us wear a clash at home.

In reality we have less than 60,000 members, but the petition isn't a poll of members so you're demanding the poll achieve something outside of it's scope. You couldn't get 30,000 signatures for an internet petition calling for Port to do anything, and this petition is open to everyone, not just Port members.

It's all immaterial because all the poll is intended to show is that there is strong public support for the campaign, which a week in, it's doing by any measure.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I can see your point of view, but I think it’s a little bit rich to suggest that people who support the bars are trying to silence “teal appreciators”.

Teal - to me - is a colour that represents a period where we compromised our identity. Why any club should have to compromise their own identity is a mystery to me. I wouldn’t expect any other club in the AFL to do this, so why should we?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Port Adelaide, “the Ports”, is my personal preference.

View attachment 591760
I think there has to be an AFL team who permanently show up with a wordmark. Done right, they’re awesome. At the same time, a South Australian side not latching onto the circular design is a shame and if anyone could and should do it, Port Adelaide is the team.

But this as a secondary mark would be a corker. It’s the vibe of the thing. Old, proud, concise, but a little bit fancy.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think there has to be an AFL team who permanently show up with a wordmark. Done right, they’re awesome. At the same time, a South Australian side not latching onto the circular design is a shame and if anyone could and should do it, Port Adelaide is the team.

But this as a secondary mark would be a corker. It’s the vibe of the thing. Old, proud, concise, but a little bit fancy.

I reckon it would look great on a hat.

Seeing as I'm a Geelong supporter, I have no real attachment to the Prison Bars and I don't have any emotional attachment to the wharf pylons and the successes the team has had wearing the jumper. But, I'm behind the push to #bringbackthebars - I think you guys have a right to wear the jumper you've been so successful in and have such feelings towards, and because you are one club, you should have one jumper (new hashtag - #oneclubonejumper :think:). Good on you guys for starting up a campaign and getting the supporters involved, couldn't see the Cats doing anything like that.

This is how I would like to see the Bars returned. Traditional at home, minimalist teal on the away and a simple inverse for the clash. Keeps the fans happy (wearing the traditional design eleven times and a very similar design most other weeks) and the AFL happy (sticking with the teal)

PrisonBars.png

Aug 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, Gladbach, Kyoto Sanga
Seeing as I'm a Geelong supporter, I have no real attachment to the Prison Bars and I don't have any emotional attachment to the wharf pylons and the successes the team has had wearing the jumper. But, I'm behind the push to #bringbackthebars - I think you guys have a right to wear the jumper you've been so successful in and have such feelings towards, and because you are one club, you should have one jumper (new hashtag - #oneclubonejumper :think:). Good on you guys for starting up a campaign and getting the supporters involved, couldn't see the Cats doing anything like that.

This is how I would like to see the Bars returned. Traditional at home, minimalist teal on the away and a simple inverse for the clash. Keeps the fans happy (wearing the traditional design eleven times and a very similar design most other weeks) and the AFL happy (sticking with the teal)

View attachment 592051
They've got nothing to wear against Collingwood though, they really need a teal clash jumper.

Sorry, should have explained myself better. White base, teal bars with black stroke. Not sure where I was going when I said what I designed

strokes are bad, m’kay.

Back