Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/p...ia-cricket-test-match-in-perth-ng-b881036361z

Shaded seats not for sale at Australia vs India cricket Test match in Perth

Cricket Australia (CA) said in conjunction with VenuesLive, the company which operates the taxpayer-funded $1.6 billion stadium, it had elected to close level five for all days of the Australia-India Test.

Level five, the stadium’s top tier, is covered by a fabric roof that was designed to protect spectators from the sun in summer and rain in winter. Moving international cricket to the Burswood venue followed criticism about the lack of shade at the WACA Ground.

Well that's s**t. Not surprised the expected crowds are poor but if this is their decision then may as well have held the game at the WACA. As a member I'll be finding a way to get up to level 5 anyway if that's closed off for us as well. Not enough seats at ground level for all the members and the middle levels are reserved off.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/p...ia-cricket-test-match-in-perth-ng-b881036361z

Shaded seats not for sale at Australia vs India cricket Test match in Perth

Cricket Australia (CA) said in conjunction with VenuesLive, the company which operates the taxpayer-funded $1.6 billion stadium, it had elected to close level five for all days of the Australia-India Test.

Level five, the stadium’s top tier, is covered by a fabric roof that was designed to protect spectators from the sun in summer and rain in winter. Moving international cricket to the Burswood venue followed criticism about the lack of shade at the WACA Ground.

Well that's s**t. Not surprised the expected crowds are poor but if this is their decision then may as well have held the game at the WACA. As a member I'll be finding a way to get up to level 5 anyway if that's closed off for us as well. Not enough seats at ground level for all the members and the middle levels are reserved off.

So what does that mean only 25,000-30,000 presales and WACA members?? Do those big Indian crowds of locals living in Sydney and Melbourne fly around to watch their team? The other night at the SCG the majority 37,000 crowd appeared to be supporting India. VenuesLive might get a shock how many rock up. Quick search of the last census shows approx 50k Indian born Aussies in WA and 160k in Vic and 140k in NSW.

So what does that mean only 25,000-30,000 presales and WACA members?? Do those big Indian crowds of locals living in Sydney and Melbourne fly around to watch their team? The other night at the SCG the majority 37,000 crowd appeared to be supporting India. VenuesLive might get a shock how many rock up. Quick search of the last census shows approx 50k Indian born Aussies in WA and 160k in Vic and 140k in NSW.
funnily enough there was an article in the paper yesterday about the Indian crowds, apparently over 100k Indians here in WA now!

Pretty terrible decision

funnily enough there was an article in the paper yesterday about the Indian crowds, apparently over 100k Indians here in WA now!

Pretty terrible decision
If they rock up in big numbers and buy tickets at the gate watch VenuesLive back down and open up the top tier. They aren't going to turn them away.

If they are stupid enough to do that it will be a PR disaster.

Surely they aren’t closing it off for the members as well. Especially seeing some of the reserved seats for the members are on the top tier
Dumbarses. They would have been better off closing the whole eastern side of the ground if they want to save money. Cutting off the entire top tier is idiocy - it misses the whole point of moving the game to the new stadium.
Or equally close off the sections of the third tier behind what is normally the goal posts on either side, especially seeing I can’t imagine they are great seats.

Ok the cynic in me has had another though.

If they know the big Indian crowds buy tickets at the gate and not online, you then say it will be restricted access and sell the most expensive tickets first and create an artificial supply shortage to drive demqnd so that people who want to prebuy tickets, have to buy the most expensive.

How many seats do the WACA members get and I assume that their entrance fee is part of their membership cost?. If it's 15,000 of 30,000 in the lower tiers, it helps to lock in selling the balance of the more expensive lower tiered seats.

If the Indian supporaters rock up in big numbers then they would be mad not to open up the cheaper top tier.

Same sort of marginal pricing stuff as airlines do. Lock in a certain amount of high paying business and full economy fares before offering the cheapies to fill up the plane.

Ok the cynic in me has had another though.

If they know the big Indian crowds buy tickets at the gate and not online, you then say it will be restricted access and sell the most expensive tickets first and create an artificial supply shortage to drive demqnd so that people who want to prebuy tickets, have to buy the most expensive.

How many seats do the WACA members get and I assume that their entrance fee is part of their membership cost?. If it's 15,000 of 30,000 in the lower tiers, it helps to lock in selling the balance of the more expensive lower tiered seats.

If the Indian supporaters rock up in big numbers then they would be mad not to open up the cheaper top tier.

Same sort of marginal pricing stuff as airlines do. Lock in a certain amount of high paying business and full economy fares before offering the cheapies to fill up the plane.

I doubt that's their thinking, as the cheap seats are the ones at the Eastern end (i.e the ones in the sun for the most time), not the ones in the top tier. You can still buy cheap seats, they're just a lot worse than they would otherwise be.

Gee a day-night test would have gone off though. I guess they would never have done it due to the Indians being scared of the dark and East Coast TV, but given there's a billion Indians who live 2.5 hours behind Perth that would have appreciated it.

Had a quick look at the Ticketek website this evening, there's plenty of unsold seats in the shade at the city end of the ground. They are $65 each, the cheap seats in the sun are $30.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...manent-day-night-test-ca-20181206-p50kq1.html

As the Australian men's team strives to rebuild its reputation, Roberts also raised fears about next week's Test in Perth, conceding ticket sales had not been tracking well despite this being the debut Test at the new Perth stadium where capacity is 60,000.

The Western Australian Cricket Association has predicted 40,000 fans will attend day one of next week's Test - with the third tier to be closed to the public in a bid to provide a greater vibe - but Roberts appears to have cast doubt on that.

CA has worked feverishly to promote the Test beginning next Friday.

Pre-sales are typically a strong indication of what the final attendance will be because there are generally low walk-up sales in Perth.

What has CA stumped is the lack of overall support - so far - from the strong Indian contingent living in Perth.

I'm predicting less than 30,000 for day 1.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...manent-day-night-test-ca-20181206-p50kq1.html

As the Australian men's team strives to rebuild its reputation, Roberts also raised fears about next week's Test in Perth, conceding ticket sales had not been tracking well despite this being the debut Test at the new Perth stadium where capacity is 60,000.

The Western Australian Cricket Association has predicted 40,000 fans will attend day one of next week's Test - with the third tier to be closed to the public in a bid to provide a greater vibe - but Roberts appears to have cast doubt on that.

CA has worked feverishly to promote the Test beginning next Friday.

Pre-sales are typically a strong indication of what the final attendance will be because there are generally low walk-up sales in Perth.

What has CA stumped is the lack of overall support - so far - from the strong Indian contingent living in Perth.

I'm predicting less than 30,000 for day 1.

23,802 for day 1 in Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

38 forecast for Friday.

"I got a great idea....let's block off most of the shaded seats in the stadium"

******* idiots.
Zero logic. If it's a cost saving measure, leave it open but don't open the toilets or bars. Patrons won't mind going down a level to access facilities in exchange for a spot in the shade
If it's so the ground that doesn't look empty on TV we'll that's just dumb too. Most patrons will just hang out out the back and even more seats will be empty

True crowds acceptance should be judged on Saturday and Sunday crowds when the game is still in a balance.

Melbourne and Sydney crowds benefit from being played when many if not most Australian's who like test cricket are on their Christmas holidays, so weekday crowd numbers will look good.

Sure a day night test benefits from people coming in after work, but that isn't going to happen for every test or all the tests outside of Melbourne and Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back