Song Contest Part XIII, Host: JoshWoodenSpoon, Theme: Woodblocks/Cowbells, Noms Due: Mon 8:45pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my votes are gone so you can't blame me.

#songcontestresults

2nd William Wonka

Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler)

25 votes, 0 billies

Not his best work — roo2macca

Not bad, but a bit too bland for my liking. — raskolnikov

Headachy repetitive beat to go with the annoying la da da bit. The interesting video and bearable vocals saved it from my billy shortlist — MWPP

Respect the legend and see why he is so renowned but just doesn't do it for me. Not sure I agree with the "flaw" here either. — Loonerty

Released in the year I was born, it's about a million percent more timeless than me. Soul funk baby, love it. Big chance if he's playing this is The Jesus entry. — Elton Johns Wig

OK song, but it's no 'Heard It Through The Grapevine' — Plugger35

So laid back I fell asleep and forgot to give it a vote — GreyCrow

Probably the best track here.. Points deducted for high exposure. Incredible percussion & sax, superb vocal delivery. Thematically resonant — JoshWoodenSpoon

Smooth. And subtle ... from the key changes to the horns and keys, all driven by that sexy ass bass line. — Ulahoopski

Smooooth. Music to f**k to, barring the last minute. Fortunately it only takes me four and a half. — DroopStDanny

When an old song gets claimed by limp-dick hipsters as their own while they enjoy their Fairtrade organic soy tumeric latte and smashed avo. — Smeg Head

#songcontestresults

1st Back One Out

Big Star - September Gurls

30 votes, 0 billies

My main gripe with this is how girls is spelled. Otherwise, quintessential jangle pop. — roo2macca

Not horrible, but not really my thing either. — raskolnikov

Power pop which would be fun to karaoke to. The dated guitar just added to the vibe . — MWPP

Eh. — Loonerty

A lot of bands 15-20 years later sounded just like this in the 'alt' times. Ripping tune — Elton Johns Wig

Wasn't too bad but a bit on the dull side — Plugger35

I forgot I listened to it. — GreyCrow

Just a happy sound — Drunkgoliath

Great light wistful pop with a fine tune — JoshWoodenSpoon

Filler votes in a pretty weak list. Big Star have better stuff but I'm just happy to see them get nommed. — Ulahoopski

Sweet song, lovely melody, and has a Middle 8; something that is sadly missing in modern music. My only criticism is they spelt 'Girls' incorrectly. — DroopStDanny

is it possible for something to be outrageously bland? — William Wonka

Who knew that a herd of Reindeer recorded a song with their bells as a backing track all the way back in the seventies. The more you know. — Smeg Head

^^herd of reindeer? WTF!?! — Back One Out

5. Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive. _ SM 4th
4. Big Star - September Gurls. _ Back One Out 1st
3. MGMT - Kids. _ SarahSmiles 6th
2. Adriano Celentano - Prisblablablablabla. _ Smeg Head 3rd
1. Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World. _ Elton Johns Wig 7th

Billy: Smashing Pumpkins - Drown. _ Chappyuk 9th

5 - Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
4 - Eb Davis - What You Gonna Do?
3 - Big Star - September Gurls
2 - Smashing Pumpkins - Drown
1 - MGMT - Kids

Billy - Imagination - In The Heat of the Night.

The Fray were very, very lucky. In no way is The Fray a lazy billy, deserves scorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back2Back One Out

5. Stayin' Alive (A classic Bee Gees disco track even with the high pitched shrieking)
4. Kids (A massive whore but a good one, could have done with a better video though)
3. The Man Who Sold The World (Not the best song on Unplugged but still a good cover)
2. Drown (Being a Pumpkins fan I had to give this votes, not their best effort though)
1. The Other Guy (Not as good as the Shorrock era LRB stuff but not a bad song all the same)

Billy - I Wanna Be Everybody (Typical lame Millennial style rock)

Eb Davis - Nice. One of the few things I liked about this playlist. 5 votes.

Smashing Pumpkins - Didn't mind this. 4 votes.

Adriano Celento - Average but in this playlist average is good. 3 votes

The Fray - Don't tell ND that I actually like this song. 2 votes

Of Montreal - Was actually ok. Something a bit different. 1 vote

Dub FX - WTF was that? Billy

5 Big Star - September Gurls Back One Out 1st well done on the win and impeccable hosting . #theme? . Also you’re welcome ;)
4 Adriano Celantano- Prisencolinensinainciusol Smeg Head 3rd Well done
3 Little River Band - The Other Guy raskolnikov 17th
2 John Farnham- Help Drunkgoliath 12th
1 Bee Gees - Stayin’ Alive SM 4th
BM Run The Jewels - Close Your Eyes roo2macca 5th

1.The River Band - catchy, upbeat and uplifting , and I was singing along . I rarely vote for winners /the podiums but I’m wondering if this round will be an exception.
2.Aqualung - almost shortlisted but it dragged on and the muffled/megaphone effect just got to me in the end . Neither list
3.Nirvana - not usually a Nirvana fan but I liked the guitar and most of the vocals
4.Smashing Pumpkins - was dragging on /did nothing for me , but the horrible distortion hurt my ears and ensured that it was billylisted
5.Run The Jewels - I wish I could close my ears . The instrumentals hurt my ears , disliked the lyrics /vocals and overall , absolute rubbish
6.Dub Fx - I liked the reference to classical Indian music , but that was all I liked about it unfortunately . The loop was annoying , but the lyrics were too. I’ll get the billy but this will get a few .
7.Eb Davis - Pleasant easy listening and what a voice /vocals , but yes it dragged on
8.Adriano Celantano- I found myself bobbing along and “singing” (putting in my own words in place of the gibberish) in my head . It was better than all right
9. Big Star - September Gurls - Power pop which would be fun to karaoke to , and the dated guitar just added to the vibe .
10. weezer - The Greatest Man That Ever Lived - I liked the chorus parts , but not the individual slightly off-tune vocals , and the song just got worse and worse as it progressed into something resembling amateur karaoke .
11. Marvin Gaya - Headachy repetitive beat to go with the annoying la da da bit . The interesting video and bearable vocals saved it from the billy list
12. The Fray - as I said , sorry I phoned this in /didn’t check the spreadsheet as I normally would . Love this song due to the lyrics , despite the vocals /overdone video and it makes me cry . Will cop the billy .
13. Imagination - didn’t mind the supposedly tame piano solo , but this song’s repetitive beat /instrumentals made it feel longer than 4 mins . Nothing very bad about it , but didn’t feel like listening again .
14. of Montreal - the video was entertaining enough , but couldn’t get over the buzzing or repetitive lyrics .
15. Moe stood out to me in the video , but nothing else did in a purely musical sense . Firmly neither list as it did nothing to me , but was also inoffensive so didn’t make my billylist either .
16. Bee Gees - a classic but downvoted in view of the soft reason why it’s bad , and the fact that I’m sick of it due to it being overplayed . This could podium or even win despite the whore factor given the weak and short playlist .
17. R.E.M - the intro began to put me into REM sleep , but then that horrible noise . The vocals /lyrics were so lovely when they finally started but were ruined by the noise which I couldn’t block out . This is the song I was most torn about - worth a 5 without that horrible headachy noise , but dragged on a little too long and it was truly billyworthy due to that noise ugh . In the end , I settled for a shortlist but no votes .
18. MGMT - powerful video and narrative and I think the kids screaming just adds to it as opposed to it making the song worse Downvoted due to it podiuming in the past and it being both overplayed and overrated (so it’s not the sort of past podium that I want to see win).
19. John Farnham - Help - on paper , right up my alley , but in reality , a song I have always liked rather than loved as his voice slightly grates me at stages of this particular song . I shortlisted it but didn’t give it votes the last time it was nommed .

Yeah, pretty happy with seeing a jangly power pop tune from the early 70s winning the round
Thought I'd post my 1st placing in triplicate.

(F**kin' laptop, piece of s**t. Must've picked up a virus from listening to all those whores.)

My votes:

5. Jethro Tull - Aqualung
4. Smashing Pumpkins - Drown
3. Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues
2. Run the Jewels - Close Your Eyes
1. BeeGees - Stayin' Alive

BM: The Fray - How to Save a Life - sorry MWPP

Eb Davis - Nice. One of the few things I liked about this playlist. 5 votes.

Smashing Pumpkins - Didn't mind this. 4 votes.

Adriano Celento - Average but in this playlist average is good. 3 votes

The Fray - Don't tell ND that I actually like this song. 2 votes

Of Montreal - Was actually ok. Something a bit different. 1 vote

Dub FX - WTF was that? Billy

2 votes is too much... wouldn’t have got a vote from me.

Very close to nomming this, great upbeat song which I absolutely love until he turns into Satan momentarily at 1:26

Heh, I actually tried nomming this, but it had already won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back