Number
Height 192cm
Weight 97Kg
DOB 18/10/1997
Debut Yet to debut

Draft history: 2015 AFL Draft pick 62

Last edited:
http://www.sanfl.com.au/maccas_cup/draft_hub/matt_allen/

Allen is an October kid so here's hoping he puts on a bit of extra height and gets to 195cm, true KPF territory. I like his Highlights vid, seems like he leads well, has a good pair of hands and kicks well too. I reckon he's going to go well for the Royals next year.

Stoked to be Matt's Big Footy sponsor in 2016. Now that I'm back in WA I'll have greater access and intend to go to East Perth games when I can.

Was really bullish on Matt pre the draft at our 3rd pick, when we passed up on him I thought our chance was gone but a 4th pick was used to secure Allen.

Looks to have a good size about him already, leads strong has a long kick on him - accuracy can do with some work but a lot of left footers have that high behind to goal ratio. We will need to trim any excess weight on him during the off season but he is a player that we can develop really well in the WAFL and WAFL reserves. In my opinion he should be developed and primed for when Kennedy retires. Don't look into the 72 kg either, more like 92

So how about so updates.....reports are he's coming together nicely

Shep was talking about him on 6PR this morning. Come back in ripping nick according to Brad.

Hopefully it equates to a full season of senior WAFL footy behind him. There will be an opportunity inside 50 after the retirement of Johnson and the back 6 has lost Mitch Brown but gains Josh Rotham.

Like most under developed key forwards he drifted in and out of senior WAFL games to much last season.

Named on the extended bench this week against Hawthorn, he's unlikely to make the cut but if he does he'll be the 7th debutant this year (8th including club debutant Ah Chee) and the 242nd Eagles player overall. He'll also be the second Glenelg product (behind Jack Redden), the sixth Matt, and just the fifth player to wear the #43 jumper, which has only appeared 48 times (and 39 of those were by Ashton Hams).

As Matt's new sponsor I thought I'd give him a little write-up.

2019 looms as a make-or-break year for Allen, who only received a one-year extension relatively late in the off-season.

He has spent three years on the list without debuting. Given his impressive, fairest and best winning season for the Royals in the WAFL, I'd say that he was unlucky not to debut.

The biggest questions that will determine his fate at the footy club are:
  1. What is his best role/position?
  2. What opportunity is there for him at that position?
In 2018 Allen played all over the field. He spent time in his natural position up forward, kicking 5 goals in an early outing against Peel. He spent time down back as an intercepting tall with reasonable success. Then, late in the season, he transitioned to a midfield role that saw him play his best football yet at the club.

In his last 7 games for the season, Allen averaged 20 touches a game playing in the midfield while rotating forward. This might not sound particularly impressive, but Allen's impact in the middle for East Perth was obvious. His movement in traffic, clean hands and footskills were surprising for a player of his size who has played as a key forward for most of his career.

In his last chance saloon, has Matty Allen finally found his groove?

With established stars Kennedy and Darling entrenched in the 22 and highly touted youngsters in O.Allen and Waterman preferred by the powers that be, a position change makes sense for Allen. The coaching staff seem to have listened, with Allen reportedly training exclusively with the midfield group so far this pre-season.

The issue for Allen is finding a role that will give him opportunity in the seniors. As much as we all love the idea of a 193cm inside mid bull, can we expect a bloke who is yet to debut in three years to muscle into an already packed centre square rotation of Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Sheed, Gaff and Hutchings? Unless we have an injury crisis, I suspect not. He may excel in that role in the WAFL, but I don't think it is likely to find him consistent AFL games and a long term future with us.

Realistically, I think Allen is more likely to find opportunity in an outside role, either as a tall wingman (think Embley) or a hybrid link-up player (think T.Lynch, late Richo). With LeCras' vacant spot up for grabs and Masten looking to be one of the more vulnerable players in the 22, this may be where the opportunity lies for Matty.

Whether he has the running capacity to play a role like that may have a large bearing on whether he is on the list next year. He's reportedly set a new personal best in the 2km time trial, a good first step in what needs to be a huge, transformative pre-season for him.

This guy needs to stay fit and be given a crack.

Allen and Ah chee almost pkaying for the last bench spot as a utility type.

Allen could end up as another J Kennedy Swans variety. Moves elsewhere cheap and kills it.

Great write up Beatle.

Hoping we see some good form over pre season from Matty and that he can push for selection more in 2019.

Still uncertainty as to where he fits but. Forward line is arguably to tall with him there, back 6 is settled, maybe it is as a taller mid or a lead up half forward flank like Adelaide’s Lynch where we see him. There is a spot available with LeCras retiring but he is a different fed to say Jake Waterman in that regard.

He did finish top 5 in the time trial yesterday which is a big effort for a guy his size going up against elite runners like Smith and Gaff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game for Mallen after being held over as an emergency for Round 3 of the AFL (Round 1 of the WAFL).

Strong showing in the midfield, finishing with:
  • 25 disposals (14 kicks, 11 marks)
  • 4 marks
  • 3 tackles
  • 4 inside 50s
Stats aside he appeared to be one of the team's best along with Waterman and Schofield. Incredibly composed and agile in traffic for someone who has only recently moved to the midfield and is genuine KPP size.

The WAFL website had him listed in the bests. The West said of him:
Matthew Allen: Impressive again playing as a tall midfielder as he closes in on an AFL debut. His 25 disposals were at 84 per cent efficiency, second behind only Will Schofield (88).

Unlikely that he'll be in line for selection at AFL level this week, but after that showing he's putting his hand up to be the first midfielder in line should injury strike.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back