Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Happy that Smith used this tactic.

Clearly wanted to be a bulldog and seems very happy with the choice

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I’m not deciding anything for anyone. These kids are signing up for a national draft in a national competition. If they’re not willing to move states in a competition that states that as a very possible outcome, then maybe playing a national level sport isn’t for them. State and local level teams can always use good young players on their lists too and there’s no risk of having to leave home then.
Players opinions change anyway. Ollie Wines desperately wanted to get to Melbourne and by all accounts 'looked shocked' on the flight home when he was drafted to Port, he ends up signing multiple extensions with Port and is their VC.

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How about, and I know this is crazy, you all don't know what the issues surrounding Smith's mental health are, and you shouldn't judge his decision/actions with such limited knowledge. He is still entitled to play at the elite level even if he isn't willing to play in another state.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
If he medically can't go interstate, does this extend to travelling interstate week to week for games, or just living there? I don't know a lot about mental health, but assuming this is legitimate, wouldn't simply flying interstate for a week cause stress?

He went in the 2 week trip to America with the academy. Didn’t seem to suffer any ill effects then..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Bailey Smith triggering you people already and season hasn't even started.

Exciting times ahead

Bailey Smith triggering you people already and season hasn't even started.

Exciting times ahead

Don't * up his development. We want him in top shape when he requests a trade to Hawthorn at some point.

If he medically can't go interstate, does this extend to travelling interstate week to week for games, or just living there? I don't know a lot about mental health, but assuming this is legitimate, wouldn't simply flying interstate for a week cause stress?
Yes you're 100% correct. Flying interstate, staying for 2 days and then flying home half a dozen times a year = living interstate. Therefore both cause the exact same stress levels. Brilliant logic.

Don't **** up his development. We want him in top shape when he requests a trade to Hawthorn at some point.
In recent years we've had more ex-Hawks come to us than ex-Dogs going to hawthorn.

In recent years we've had more ex-Hawks come to us than ex-Dogs going to hawthorn.
Problem is you are picking up Hawks past their used by date, we'll be picking up your best young player :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith, the "ultimate professional" of the draft, who counts his caloric intake down to the single digits and trained himself into achilles issues, never touched a drop of alcohol or other drugs, and does this because he is desperate to play AFL, yet refuses to be drafted by almost half the league?

There are three main explanations that come to mind:

1) He has fabricated this story to justify not wanting to be drafted interstate...... This is disappointing, since it trivialises mental health issues, as well as raises concerns over just how committed someone is, when they'd 'do anything' to achieve their dream, except merely move a few hundred km's from home - American kids do this for College whilst accruing massive debts, yet he won't do it whilst getting paid handsomely. Intriguing.

2) This is a genuinely major(-ish) mental health issue...... Obviously not ideal to be drafting a player with a significant health problem; a major mental health concern could be considered on par with multiple atraumatic ACL's or ongoing hamstring issues, given that it's a chronic illness (as opposed to a once off bone break or traumatic ACL which should be contained as isolated incidents). Furthermore, such an extreme and obsessive personality is not ideal when mixed with mental health issues and the type of environment that AFL players find themselves in (plenty of expendable income, offers of certain indulgences that don't come as easily to the average person, etc). We've already seen the prime example of this type of player; 'such is life'. (NB - not claiming that he will turn out like Ben, but there are plenty of players who are on the same train but just haven't derailed).

3) This is a genuine mental health issue, but only minor...... Either disappointing that he is knowingly over-exaggerating such an issue (like point 1) or concerning that a minor mental health issue could make him unable to move away from Melbourne whilst other players with similar (or even worse) issues happily manage a career interstate; raises serious questions over his resilience which is arguably one of the most important traits in a footballer, considering how they often battle with form or injury issues.

None of these outcomes are overly great. I was initially hoping that St Kilda would explore taking him over Max King but, with talk like this, I can't say I'm disappointed that they didn't go down this path.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
giphy.gif

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reportedly? Where is this reported?

At least he reportedly went through some effort. Players like Wingard just told clubs he didn’t want to go.

Way to also trivialise his reported mental health. Reportedly.
Unfortunately mental health issues at the AFL level are often assumed to be pisstakes since the Swans and Buddy tried it on.

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's also a good marketing tool for membership as most people in the western suburbs suffer from mental health.
You really need to pull your head in. Would love you to say something like that to a family member of the mentally ills face instead of behind a computer screen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back