Saints, Dogs, Dockers, Lions. Who finishes highest in 2019?

Saints, Dogs, Dockers, Lions. Who finishes highest in 2019?

• Saints

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • Dogs

Votes: 49 28.8%
  • Freo

Votes: 47 27.6%
  • Lions

Votes: 55 32.4%

• Total voters
Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Dockers it is!

41e0d1c13f52ac031320109153ede52a.jpg

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
I heard the Fremantles will finish higher. Nothing like a good sex scandal to straighten you up and win the flag the following year.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Voted Freo cause bias, but I think that Bulldogs are a sneak chance to make the 8.

St.Kilda just look s**t but the addition of Parker, Hind etc could help

Brisbane are the obvious ones but losing Beams was a big deal and seeing how Lyons can function outside of the "oh im the only good player in Gold Coast" environment will work will be interesting. Neale will star for them and Adams and McCarthy will do jack s**t.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Putting aside any question marks over Lyon's coaching, Freo will go highest. But I don't think any of those sides will make finals.

More games on the width at Optus (with a home crowd that will grow if their results are more consistent), maturation of some youngsters & good output from Hogan and Lobb should see them finish just outside the 8.

Smart, repeat leads and contested marks can straighten up i50s very quickly; forward structure is a huge focus for them in 2018.

Brisbane may need another season into a young spine; they're not quite there. Who knows what the Dogs will pull out. Saints don't fill me with optimism, especially their coach. Their list has strengths but they probably lack the talls.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Voted Freo cause bias, but I think that Bulldogs are a sneak chance to make the 8.

St.Kilda just look s**t but the addition of Parker, Hind etc could help

Brisbane are the obvious ones but losing Beams was a big deal and seeing how Lyons can function outside of the "oh im the only good player in Gold Coast" environment will work will be interesting. Neale will star for them and Adams and McCarthy will do jack s**t.

Lyons functioned pretty well at Adelaide previously. If Adams and McCarthy stay fit, they are probably both best 22.

The development of our youngsters will determine what level we play at next season.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Lions always do well in these polls, and every year they're bottom 4.

Any year now.
The surprising thing to me is the confidence of some people in the Bulldogs. They did play better twards of the end of last year after a disgraceful start. It has to be troubling that only happened when the season was gone though.

For supposedly a young group on the rise you turned over a lot of players this year as well.

I see people saying things like "the Bulldogs will get their mojo back" and I laugh. It's not the team of 2016 anymore, and the notion you can go back two years is clearly absurd.

You may improve, no-one knows how the season will go, but I'm not seeing rational argument that makes me think so.

The lions are coming from a long way back and for that reason I'm thinking Freo next year.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I think if all went right for each of the teams then Dogs would probably have the highest potential. They could even be one of those sneaky teams that jump straight into top 4. That said I don't think its particularly likely and probably have them more around 10th.

I've been a fan of Brisbane's rebuild but its one year too early in my opinion and I think they'll finish outside of the 8 due to consistency issues.

Dockers are OK but I struggle to see a massive improvement.

Saints will either be super crap again or will partially rebound towards their 2017 form. I suspect they'll improve a bit but still won't be anything special.

Overall Dogs > Brisbane > Dockers > Saints with my prediction being all 4 teams to not make the 8 and Saints probable bottom 4.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Lions always do well in these polls, and every year they're bottom 4.

Any year now.

That's because we are a popular second team for so many people I reckon - we've been rubbish for so long, I'd hazard it was a bone of sympathy :p

But.....if we can keep our best 22-25 fit and healthy again AND there's improvement in the team overall, I think we can push ahead of the other 3 teams listed in the poll. Lots of encouragement in our pre-season thus far though, players starting training early as a group and returning in good shape for the official start to the pre-season are indicative of a general trend of positivity.

The surprising thing to me is the confidence of some people in the Bulldogs. They did play better twards of the end of last year after a disgraceful start. It has to be troubling that only happened when the season was gone though.

For supposedly a young group on the rise you turned over a lot of players this year as well.

I see people saying things like "the Bulldogs will get their mojo back" and I laugh. It's not the team of 2016 anymore, and the notion you can go back two years is clearly absurd.

You may improve, no-one knows how the season will go, but I'm not seeing rational argument that makes me think so.

The lions are coming from a long way back and for that reason I'm thinking Freo next year.

no you are right, it’s not 2016 anymore.

But we’ve still got quality players who have played well in finals and great young kids. If most stay fit we are best placed out of this group to challenge the better teams.

It might be a different team but the bones of it are still players who have got the job done before, hence the confidence.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's because we are a popular second team for so many people I reckon - we've been rubbish for so long, I'd hazard it was a bone of sympathy :p

But.....if we can keep our best 22-25 fit and healthy again AND there's improvement in the team overall, I think we can push ahead of the other 3 teams listed in the poll. Lots of encouragement in our pre-season thus far though, players starting training early as a group and returning in good shape for the official start to the pre-season are indicative of a general trend of positivity.

LOL, if The Dogs and Freo go any worse than their 2018 injury lists, they will be getting top ups from their cheer squads!

Brisbane may move up next year, but it will be to 14th, max!

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Freo is a strange one .. from the outside looking at who they got to the club you could argue that they are due for a massive lift but as we have seen time and time again good players coming home to Freo have a tendancy to become shadows of the players they were at their old clubs .. also how Lyon develops his game plan around to factor in a player like Hogan (provided he gets on the field) is still to be seen ... realistically if Lyon cant make it work with this list next year you have to question if he will ever be able to make it work again at freo ...

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo is a strange one .. from the outside looking at who they got to the club you could argue that they are due for a massive lift but as we have seen time and time again good players coming home to Freo have a tendancy to become shadows of the players they were at their old clubs .. also how Lyon develops his game plan around to factor in a player like Hogan (provided he gets on the field) is still to be seen ... realistically if Lyon cant make it work with this list next year you have to question if he will ever be able to make it work again at freo ...

Props for finding a new line of thought, but seriously, LOL...

'Time and time again', this for a club that couldnt get any genuine stars to return home. How things have changed.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Props for finding a new line of thought, but seriously, LOL...

'Time and time again', this for a club that couldnt get any genuine stars to return home. How things have changed.
Brad Hill - shadow of the player he was at Hawthorn
Des Hedland - nothing on what he was at Brisbane
Peter Bell - much much better when he was at the Roo's
Harley Bennell - need i say more
Heath Black - after his stint back in Melbourne coming back to freo
Adam McPhee - never reached the hights he did when at essendon
Josh Carr - was little more than a thug in Freo
Scott Gumbleton - you could argue he was a spud at Essendon but he was even more sud like at freo
Hambling - key figure in the Dogs flag but not got anywhere near that at freo
McCarthy - one break out year with GWS and has not looked close to doing it again

not returning home but players to come to freo and become spuds :
Trent Croad
Chris Tarrant
Dean Solomon
Danyle Pearce
Colin Sylvia....

its prob too early to make a call on Wilson and Matera but their first season didnt set the world on fire

the facts are right there ..
in fact the only players i can think of that started at another club and became better while at freo was Luke Mcpharlan and Troy Cook... correct me if im wrong ..

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Scott Gumbleton - you could argue he was a spud at Essendon but he was even more sud like at freo
McCarthy - one break out year with GWS and has not looked close to doing it again

Trent Croad
Chris Tarrant
Dean Solomon
Danyle Pearce
Colin Sylvia....

its prob too early to make a call on Wilson and Matera but their first season didnt set the world on fire

in fact the only players i can think of that started at another club and became better while at freo was Luke Mcpharlan and Troy Cook... correct me if im wrong ..
Boy, what an embarrassing post. Maybe stick to the saints board with that sort of one-sided delusion. Half those players are from a past era, a bunch weren't much chop at their original team and you assessment of Brad Hill and Hamling are a joke. :$

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle

Trent Croad
Chris Tarrant
Dean Solomon
Danyle Pearce
Colin Sylvia....

* me, I thought you were going to bring up Troy Polak and Chris Groom.

I'm shocked you passed us on Luke Mcpharlin and Troy Cook, so I'm glad we weren't total failure...

Brad Hill won a BnF in his only full season at Freo. Gumbleton... riiight.
Hamling, get a grip.
You clearly know * all about Tarrant and his time at Freo and also where he was at at the time of the trade.
Solomon, did you expect him to get better. Says more about you than Freo.
Pearce got worse, yes after he got better!
Croad was a sooky campaigner before he even arrived at Freo. He never wanted to be here and never put in any effort to help.

Embarrassing!

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Boy, what an embarrassing post. Maybe stick to the saints board with that sort of one-sided delusion. Half those players are from a past era, a bunch weren't much chop at their original team and you assessment of Brad Hill and Hamling are a joke. :$
so you are honestly saying Brad hill is a better player last year then he was at hawthorn .... i mean be honest ..
as for Hamling he was on track to be one of the best backmen in the comp at the dogs in their flag year but he has not come close to that as yet at freo ...

the point remains your club doesnt have a great record of turning another clubs player into a better player for you ... ill put the question to you who are the players who have come to Freo and been better than they were at their previous club ? i can only think of McPharlin and Cook ... but please enlighten me

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
**** me, I thought you were going to bring up Troy Polak and Chris Groom.

I'm shocked you passed us on Luke Mcpharlin and Troy Cook, so I'm glad we weren't total failure...

Brad Hill won a BnF in his only full season at Freo. Gumbleton... riiight.
Hamling, get a grip.
You clearly know **** all about Tarrant and his time at Freo and also where he was at at the time of the trade.
Solomon, did you expect him to get better. Says more about you than Freo.
Pearce got worse, yes after he got better!
Croad was a sooky campaigner before he even arrived at Freo. He never wanted to be here and never put in any effort to help.

Embarrassing!
ok ok ill give you Hill ... but honestly i reckon most people on B/f would say he was more damaging and better player at Hawthorn (obviously the players around him helps but thats kinda the point) ..
you bring up Tarrant's situation while at Freo as an excuse and fair enough but the point remains he was never the player in purple as he was in black and white
Solomon - its not my expectaion of him to get better i really didnt care if he was a spud or not but the point is still valid he was (with age the excuse) half the player he was at Essendon ....
so my original observation remains correct , Freo have not had a great record at getting players to be better playing for them as they did from the clubs they originally came from ...
so that is the reason im not sold that the new guys Freo got this off season are going to be enough especially with Ross Lyons coaching style ... the gameplan takes a hell of a lot of comitment and concentration and ultimatly burns players out over time i dunno how that will work with guys like Hogan and Lobb

Back