Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a player sponsor in 2018.
My player was a best 22 and player that was sent out onto the field to play whilst injured in 2018.

Need more info... Have only managed to narrow this down to 22 players :straining:

Jezza played half his late career injured. Hard to keep them off the field in fact. Its what they live for.
Dominator as well. Gary Ablett cleaned him up one day and he had ongoing knee issues for the rest of his career.

And yes, the majority of membership purchases are transactional. Not purely, but inherently. Sure, many will say they buy a membership to support the club, but how many members do you think would renew if the membership package valued each entry ticket at 10-20% above the ordinary purchase price? Chuck a "club kitty tax" on the memberships and watch the numbers plummet.
They're called interstate memberships.

Good on you for sponsoring a player.
But why the riddles and whats the point your trying to make?
just had a look at its posting style and flavour - read the last 20 efforts (all I could manage) interesting exercise..............

They're called interstate memberships.

Silly me - of course the majority of our memberships are interstate!

Got plenty of respect for those who are prepared to fork out for a membership knowing full well they aren't going to be attending games.

Also have plenty of respect for those who sponsor players. Though I do wonder if all those people would continue to do so if they didn't also get their event passes, photo, guernsey, recognition etc. etc. I'm not downplaying the support these people offer the club, but they are getting something exclusive for their money. Ergo - inherently transactional.

Once again though - we're straying a long way from the point.

Why on earth should paying club members - who get tickets, merchandise etc. for their money - also be within their rights to demand the club give them access to official organisational review documents? Unreasonable in the extreme.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shallow analysis. Looking at onfield success only.

Points to consider (after Malthouse):

- lack of quality experience on field due to mismanagement from years ago means we have a talented list that is way too young to produce consistent football. Which leads to lack of onfield success.

- we now have list management team

- list management team has a clear plan and is sticking to it

- new CEO (Cain Liddle)

- new head of football (Brad Lloyd)

- new coach (Brendan Bolton)

- new fitness guy (Andrew Russell)

- AFLW team launched

- extra $ being spent on football department taking us up into the top quartile compared to being dead last in this department

- have cleared the deckchairs. Have very few players on this list who don't have scope to grow/talent.

- s**t blokes have been jettisoned

What you need to realise is that all of these things take time to start to show results.

Our fitness isn't going to be up with the best in the league for a couple of years. It can't improve that much in a preseason. Likewise extra spending on football department will take time start to make a difference, but when it does it will improve the whole list.

Even the coach needs time to make mistakes and learn from them. Almost every recently successful coach (Bomber, Clarkson, Dimmable, Buckley) was close to getting the sack before their respective clubs backed them in.

The last few years have been spent demolishing the old derelict building, clearing the lot and laying foundations. Of course we are still getting wet when it rains. But the foundations are solid now and we can build a mansion on it rather than a just a bungalow.

So yeah, we are turning it around. You just can't see it if you only look at the results. Yet.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll respond to this because you try to raise some valid points, and I agree it seems everything the club off the field is going in the right direction... BUT we haven't actually turned a corner until the on-field results actually come good.

All the points you raise are superfluous to the cold hard facts that last year without Docherty, having one of the youngest teams and Bolton getting tied up in knots with his gameplan we finished with 2 wins. This year without Docherty again, with an even younger team and Bolton still in charge supporters are expecting to finish well ahead of the 2 wins.

We are banking on massive gains from "learnings" - the fact that Bolton even tried such a convoluted gameplan with such a young team, doesn't bode well.

I'll respond to this because you try to raise some valid points, and I agree it seems everything the club off the field is going in the right direction... BUT we haven't actually turned a corner until the on-field results actually come good.

All the points you raise are superfluous to the cold hard facts that last year without Docherty, having one of the youngest teams and Bolton getting tied up in knots with his gameplan we finished with 2 wins. This year without Docherty again, with an even younger team and Bolton still in charge supporters are expecting to finish well ahead of the 2 wins.

We are banking on massive gains from "learnings" - the fact that Bolton even tried such a convoluted gameplan with such a young team, doesn't bode well.
We are banking on an improved work ethic fitness base and better body types/ injury prevention mainly I would’ve thought.

Plus if we don’t improve this year that means there are many high round draft picks on this roster that have failed, which is highly unlikely given what they’ve shown in their first 2 and 3 years at the club.

Generally I wouldve thought it’s far more complex than just banking on ‘learnings’. Over simplified analysis doesn’t donthe supporter base or club justice.

Edit: if a batsman is struggling, scoring no runs and he works on something in his technique or mental state really hard that will help him, then a few games later (not immediately) he comes good. When did he turn the corner? When he started working harder and changed his process. Not when the results came. The result is just proof to everyone else what the batsman and his coach already knew.

Not a crack at you, but a crack at this sentiment...

Where oh where does it seem like the club have turned a corner? It is anything but... we are staring down the barrel of another bottom placed finish (best player injured - younger team again next year - 10+ changes again) without the reward of the top pick (we better hope Stocker smashes it so we don't look even more ridiculous). I love this club, but in light of the recent Bolton rumour and everything else that is happening - there is no signs this club has "turned a corner". If anything, we will have a new coach early next year.
I've said this before.

Who gives a flying * what other people think???

This time of year is the time for optimistic exuberance.

Hope springs eternal. Every season can be the one. Each match may be that moment it all starts to come good.
Each quarter it can change in the next. That's the way I think. The past is gone. All that matters is what happens next and all one can ever ask is they try their best as a club. We arent the club. We are supporters of it.
Now some may think being a supporter means jumping on board after that line in sand moment happens but finding fault in everything until then. But in truth all it does is make things more miserable needlessly.
Well I think thats not going to help the team one bit. Dont give me reality now. Plenty of time for that once the games begin.
I say the team needs the loud optimistic chorus especially when its hard. Anyone can cheer later on after the hard work is done.
If you were a player and you happen to read here about the gloom and doom how would you feel? May as well give up? Close the doors?

Last edited:

With regards to the bolded, answer this: are the younger players we've brought in better in 2019 than the players they've either directly replaced or the players they've taken the list position from?

Younger, I'll give you, but pretty much across the board the players we've gotten in this off season can hardly be worse than O'Shea, Lamb, Rowe (as much as he's an absolute legend) Mullett, Shaw, Graham etc.

For what it's worth, just comparing the BF consensus teams from last season and next:

2018 average age 23 & 4 months, 67 games
2x 200+ games players
3x 100-199
4x 50-99
4x 23-49
9x 0-22

2019 average age 23 & 11 months, 74 games
2x 200+
4x 100-199
3x 50-99
7x 23-49
6x 0-22

Even with the list changes our 22 appears technically both older and more experienced. Predominantly it's a moving towards more kids in who've played more than a full season's worth, so in their 2nd or 3rd year (sometimes 4th). Next year will be really interesting as that group migrates up into the 50+ games tier and we're carrying less 0-22 gamers.

I've always wondered if joining the mile high club whilst flying solo constitutes a highjacking. :think:
tenor.gif

I've always wondered if joining the mile high club whilst flying solo constitutes a highjacking. :think:
what's happened to the innocent young novice who sprang from nowhere to take out poty? was that so long ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back