Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Went for a kick of the footy a couple of days ago with my neice and the dogs and Jack was there with his sprint coaches and his puppy schnauzer. It was a stinking hot day and he went through a punishing running session. We were there kicking for an hour and a half and he was there before us and finished around the same time. You can almost guarantee he hasn't let anything go to his head after a great first season.

His puppy ended up joining our dogs chasing the footy around and Jack came over after and said thanks for looking after his dog while he was training. Lovely guy and is already pumped for next season. Reckons Tom Lynch is a ripper bloke. I asked him about Sidney Stack. He said he was going really well but the holiday period when he goes back to WA will probably be the big challenge for him.

Got a pic with him and the dogs. Told him the story about getting my puppy the same day as the Tigers winning the flag. He loved it. Or humoured me at least!
My millennial neice pointed out later that his puppy has its own Instagram account with a lazy 1K+ followers (Smudge_the_Schnauzer for you millenials out there).

Kids these days.... :)

Went for a kick of the footy a couple of days ago with my neice and the dogs and Jack was there with his sprint coaches and his puppy schnauzer. It was a stinking hot day and he went through a punishing running session. We were there kicking for an hour and a half and he was there before us and finished around the same time. You can almost guarantee he hasn't let anything go to his head after a great first season.

His puppy ended up joining our dogs chasing the footy around and Jack came over after and said thanks for looking after his dog while he was training. Lovely guy and is already pumped for next season. Reckons Tom Lynch is a ripper bloke. I asked him about Sidney Stack. He said he was going really well but the holiday period when he goes back to WA will probably be the big challenge for him.

Got a pic with him and the dogs. Told him the story about getting my puppy the same day as the Tigers winning the flag. He loved it. Or humoured me at least!
My millennial neice pointed out later that his puppy has its own Instagram account with a lazy 1K+ followers (Smudge_the_Schnauzer for you millenials out there).

Your dog doesnt have an insta ???

Really

See if you'd only posted this tomorrow you'd be an early contender for POTY ;)

Gonna be damm crowded up there with Lynch, Reiwoldt, plus Dusty and Lambert, Cotch, Sheds, Rioli, Butts, George...
Starting fwd line would include Caddy but not include Dusty, Lambo or Cotch. Those players just rotate through. But a midfield with Higgins, Prestia (fit), Graham (fit) an improved Dusty & Cotch (after their flat 2018 seasons). Plus Lambert. Just leaves Conca's spot up for grabs. I'd love it if a couple of players could step up and replace Grigg & KMac. (& Ellis) I mean Higgins has shown that you can work your way into a top AFL team. Work and skills. I look fwd to the off seasons of Balta, RCD, Ross, Bolton, Weller Naish and the rest. (I am a fan of C Moore..I thought he did OK in the seniors)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Projecting 3 years foward to 2021 what type of player do you guys see Jack Higgins most likely turn out like ?
For me i see him most like Dayne Zorko

Dayne Zorko is a great comparison or even Toby Greene wouldn’t be a terrible comparison either

Just needs to work on his set shots a little

Dayne Zorko is a great comparison or even Toby Greene wouldn’t be a terrible comparison either

Just needs to work on his set shots a little
I have seen the Toby Greene comparison before but i cant see the resemblance in their playing style
Green to me has more aerial ability and plays taller than his 182cm where higgins from what i have seen is more ground level player

I have seen the Toby Greene comparison before but i cant see the resemblance in their playing style
Green to me has more aerial ability and plays taller than his 182cm where higgins from what i have seen is more ground level player

Yeah not in terms of Greene’s work in the air but the times when Greene played midfield roles before he got played more permanently in the forward line his ability to find the ball consistantly and have great decision making in traffic

Higgins is very strong in the air for a small
I have not seen the type of leap from higgins as Greene showed , Not saying that greene is a high leaper but more the way he uses his body whild taking over head marks in a pack and running at the pack.

Higgins stays on the ground and usually tries to either out position his opponent or run across the front of his player

I have not seen the type of leap from higgins as Greene showed , Not saying that greene is a high leaper but more the way he uses his body whild taking over head marks in a pack and running at the pack.

Higgins stays on the ground and usually tries to either out position his opponent or run across the front of his player

Higgins contested marks stats are very good; for a small, first year player

only behind Jack, Nankervis, Rance, Martin, Caddy, Astbury, Moore, Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad & George (who is also good in air for a small)

Higgins contested marks stats are very good; for a small, first year player

only behind Jack, Nankervis, Rance, Martin, Caddy, Astbury, Moore, Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad & George (who is also good in air for a small)
Not mentioning his contested marking but more his aerial marking,Dont think i have seen jack take a running jump from behind

Yeah but both can do high kicks over their heads...

Not mentioning his contested marking but more his aerial marking,Dont think i have seen jack take a running jump from behind

Yeah I agree

He tends to use his body and positioning to protect the drop zone of the ball to gain an advantage pretty similar to what dusty does in 1 on 1 contests now that I think about it

compared to others who prefer to lead into the drop zone or come from behind and take a grab over his opponent

Projecting 3 years foward to 2021 what type of player do you guys see Jack Higgins most likely turn out like ?
For me i see him most like Dayne Zorko

I'm sticking with my original thoughts and say he will be like a Dane Swan. He will just develop a huge tank & get to lots of contests....but I think he'll have more X-factor than Swannie....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back