Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't mind the look of the Suns best 22 if they get a really good run with injury-

Jarrod Harbrow, Rory Thompson, Jack Hombsch.
Pearce Hanley, Sam Collins, Corey Ellis.

Jarrod Witts, Will Brodie, Anthony Miles.
David Swallow, Lachie Weller, Touk Miller.

Izak Rankine, Josh Corbett, Jack Martin.
Ben Ainsworth, Peter Wright, Alex Sexton.

Brayden Fiorini, George Horlin-Smith, Jordan Murdoch, Calllum Ah-Chee.

Depth- Jack Lukosius, Sam Day, Sean Lemmens, Aaron Young, Brayden Crossley.

I actually don't mind the look of the Suns best 22 if they get a really good run with injury-

Every team looks good with no injuries. However, they have a history of a huge amount of injuries. They don't have Lynch or May, they basically have a whole lot of players that weren't wanted/needed from previous clubs. I don't think they will get more than 4 wins tbh

Can't see it myself - wonder who they are pencilling in.
Well, it's now been two years since I last tipped Carlton to win a game and I'm yet to be convinced that we might not see a three year streak.

At some level, I figure Carlton will win some games, it's just hard to figure out who's going to be the unlucky saps to lose to them.

Well, it's now been two years since I last tipped Carlton to win a game and I'm yet to be convinced that we might not see a three year streak.

At some level, I figure Carlton will win some games, it's just hard to figure out who's going to be the unlucky saps to lose to them.

The Bombers might find a way.

They often do.

That is a very average best 22. Backline looks especially vulnerable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a very average best 22. Backline looks especially vulnerable.
They seem to have improved their depth but there are no quality players in that side at all. How many middle of the road types do they need? Ellis, Murdoch, Collins, Hombsch, Murcdoch, GHS, Miles, Young etc is surely overkill.

They seem to have improved their depth but there are no quality players in that side at all. How many middle of the road types do they need? Ellis, Murdoch, Collins, Hombsch, Murcdoch, GHS, Miles, Young etc is surely overkill.
Do you count McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and Rayner as quality players?

If so, the the Suns do have some good players. It's just that they're young and still developing, much like our good young quality kids.

IMO that is a solid base to build a team with their young talent, something they need at this point in time.

If so, the the Suns do have some good players. It's just that they're young and still developing, much like our good young quality kids.

Personally I think our players you have listed have transitioned from young and promising to genuine contributors, especially the first three (I think Rayner will be the best of the lot but is still very raw). The Suns players in that best 22 have either shown flashes of promise or been discarded from their previous teams. Only a small handful have shown to be consistent contributors at AFL level at all. For me they will win a very small number of games but will probably have a game or two where they win unexpectedly due to their youngsters having a day out at the same time, similar to us probably two seasons ago.

I agree with Lionheart. The first three have become consistent contributors, something you could only say about Fiorini out of the Suns young players. But when I said quality players, I meant the more experienced Lynch/May sort. I'd be shocked if anyone on their list was even talked about as an AA selection at any point this season. Carlton at least have Cripps in that category.

Basically they need Swallow to go to another level (not sure he's capable any more), Martin to find a consistent role, Wright to put it together, Weller to show he was worth what they paid for him and some of those discards like Murdoch, GHS and Miles to show they're more than battlers. And that's just what it would take to win more than a couple of games.

I agree with Lionheart. The first three have become consistent contributors, something you could only say about Fiorini out of the Suns young players. But when I said quality players, I meant the more experienced Lynch/May sort. I'd be shocked if anyone on their list was even talked about as an AA selection at any point this season. Carlton at least have Cripps in that category.

Basically they need Swallow to go to another level (not sure he's capable any more), Martin to find a consistent role, Wright to put it together, Weller to show he was worth what they paid for him and some of those discards like Murdoch, GHS and Miles to show they're more than battlers. And that's just what it would take to win more than a couple of games.
I remember Martin being talked up as the next big thing, some were comparing him to Gazza early on. Looks so overrated, either that or is just very inconsistent. For his development, it would be better if he wasn't at GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back