Training The 2019 preseason training REPORTS thread

Remove this Banner Ad

First open training session at Lathlain for the 2019 preseason. Don’t like coming out here tbh but judging by the way construction of the new facilities is going I’m going to have to get used it. Finding a spot to watch in the shade is a problem as is getting an elevated view as nobody is allowed in the old grandstand to sit, so terraced grassed bank it is

Anyways :

• Early signs during warmup kick to kick that most players are out there - certainly JK and TB are both there
• Five minutes after I arrive the entire playing group *s off inside presumably for a team meeting
• New training centre looks an impressive building. Main shell looks close to complete with internal fitout being done now
• Lathlain surface easily the best WAFL ground now. Near AFL standard
• Ooh MILF
• Players back out now after 5-10 minutes and straight to the far side of the oval. Kents
• And now they move to the second oval ffs. At least it’s only warmups so nothing to see in any case
• Barrass and looks like O’Neill stay behind with a trainer doing their own thing
• Ooh they’re coming back. Yippee
• Setting up for a beep test. Count 27 involved with several players watching on. Too far away to make out anyone other than JK’s beard
• Ryan first to drop out. Smith beats hutch as last man standing. Plenty of encouragement from his new teammates. Fair to say he’s earning their respect
• Kick to kick now to finish the warmup. Edwards clean by foot even if it is just low intensity
• Looks like a few stayed behind on the far oval. No idea who or just how many so decide to make the trek around as the main group aren’t doing anything of note yet. Venables standing with a trainer. Barrass, Yeo, Brooksby, Exxon and Ainsworth running
• Players kicking at goal now. Bines can’t hold the ball still as he runs in - wobbling all over the place. Kicks the goal though
• Gov really does look trimmed
• JK with main group. Moving well
• Players split into line groups now. Brander with the forwards today
• Watson’s cut off the blonde mop. Looking more and more like Jetta from a distance
• Nelson and Achee both with the mids
• Jk passing on some words of wisdom to the forwards as they finish the drill. Don’t think we can underestimate how important his presence on the field is directing players. It’s where we’ll miss lecras - that knowledge and understanding
• Good to see Cameron with the main group now
• Oallen McInnes and bines now doing laps as the main group do semi- competitive full field ball movement from stoppages. Edwards also running laps now
• No Hickey I’ve realised. Schofield also a no show
• Willie showing no signs of his “ankle” injury from last week
• Oallen back in main group now. Probably sick of running laps
• Cole been impressive
• “Take him on Petch. Oh nice kick” Encouragement from the head coach for the young speedster to use his pace
• Brooksby with ice on his lower left leg as things start to wrap up
• Some players finishing with one on one marking contests. Oallen marks in front of shepp twice in a row. You could see shepp was determined not to let him get a third. Shepp spoils the next two then Oscar gets clean hands on the best of 5 decider but can’t quite hang on. I’d have paid it but simmo says no mark.
• Hurn working over waterman whilst Darling and Brander went at it. Brander tried hard but once darling got his feet planted couldn’t be shifted
• 10.45 and things coming to a close

He was a very promising footballer, and a lot of people here were really disappointed when he had to retire without playing a game, because many thought he had the attributes that we needed desperately.

I’ve heard that he started playing footy again last year back in Vic but haven’t heard any more to say if he was successful in his return or succumbed to more injuries.

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_i...t=1-3922-48421-474142-25753315&ocompID=474142

Played 14 games for his junior club Keilor over the last two seasons.

• Edwards clean by foot
head-nod-gif-12.gif

Arrived at 830 left at 0910
Open taining kids and adults sitting everywhere on bank
So let’s go train on the other oval.. nice PR Eagles

It was only really the stretching they did on the other oval before returning to the main oval. Rehab guys stayed on the other side and when they split into line groups the forwards worked on the far oval

The beauty of having two ovals is the extra space to work with as there’s two spaces to work with rather than being confined to one oval. From a practical pov the training staff set up the drinks tent between the two ovals so it made sense that they stayed close to that area when stretching

It’s a bit of a pain for those of us watching but better logistically for coaches and training staff

Looks like Josh Smith won the Yo Yo test.

If he has a good JLT and Dominates in the WAFL it is going to be hard to not have him in the side.

At the very least he’s going to keep the mids currently in the best 22 honest. He’ll be important as a mature body for our WAFL side and a ready replacement as injury cover for the seniors

Masten in particular won’t want to drop off as smith can provide the same running power at similar pace and is arguably a stronger body. Disposal perhaps a step below Masten.

He’s a good pickup from the recruiters

So Willie mentioned he wasnt surprised with Camerons time trial results as he looks like a natural runner.

Anyone know how Cameron went?

Still working back from a toe injury.

Appears to me that the toe injury is behind him. Moving freely and was involved for most of the session. Will need to build his tank and spend some time in the gym. Still looks like a 15 year old

Will he be ok for the season or risk of missing games?

There’s a lot of work ahead of Venables before he’s ready to play. Isn’t running yet at all that I’ve seen and was an early departure from training again today. With Cripps still absent and lecras retired 3 of our 5 premiership small-medium forwards are likely to be missing round 1

Pencil in Petruccelle for one spot whilst Oallen, Waterman and Achee would be front runners for the other 2 spots

There’s a lot of work ahead of Venables before he’s ready to play. Isn’t running yet at all that I’ve seen and was an early departure from training again today. With Cripps still absent and lecras retired 3 of our 5 premiership small-medium forwards are likely to be missing round 1

Pencil in Petruccelle for one spot whilst Oallen, Waterman and Achee would be front runners for the other 2 spots
Bummer. Was hoping he would have some continuity.

Hey Guys

Want to go to training on Friday since Thursday is player day of.
I have my twin nieces over from Melbourne for a couple of days and they want to go to training.

Should I head to Lathlain at about 8.30am and hope they are there or will they be at Subi anyone know ?

My 8 year old niece Maddison wants to see NicNat

Last edited:
Plenty of time for Venables to get up for round 1, but the question will be whether we should pick ahead of him someone who has had a full pre-season.:think:

Dont pick players who are not fit. Especially fringe players.

I believe one of the reasons our season was a success was we were forced to use our depth due to injury. That provided multiple benefits in development but also gave injured bodies time off to get fit. We had a fair few key players out for multiple weeks and luckily come finals had most back. And they were fresh and fit.

Keep backing your kids and the depth. Get players back when they are fit and ready, not before.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentioned in the other thread.

Thoughts on Matt Allen as a 2nd ruck?

We looked at Ah chee late last year in the WAFL. Matt is taller and bigger, can play mid or forward. A real utility.

Id like to see him get a game somehow but with 5 fit rucks on our books I would say absolutely 0 chance of that happening. As it should be too- the guy is about 191cm or so?

Hey Guys

Want to go to training on Friday since Thursday is player day of.
I have my twin nieces over from Melbourne for a couple of days and they want to go to training.

Should I head to Lathlain at about 8.30am and hope they are there or will they be at Subi anyone know ?

My 8 year old niece Maddison wants to see NicNat

Best bet is to contact the club to explain your situation and beg them to let you know when and where training is. You’ll probably get donuts but your only other option is to head to Lathlain around 9ish and hope

Training staff set up a good half hour before players arrive usually so if you see any of them there setting up it’s a good sign. If they’re training at subi you’ve no hope of getting in

Also if they’re at Lathlain most likely Naitanui won’t be there as the longer term rehab guys usually stay at subi

Id like to see him get a game somehow but with 5 fit rucks on our books I would say absolutely 0 chance of that happening. As it should be too- the guy is about 191cm or so?

Obviously this would only be considered if we opt to only play one recognised ruck like some clubs have done.

If we continue with the two ruck policy well we do.

Seriously?

Seriously what?

Did we trial Ah chee in the WAFL? Yes.

Has Simo flagged we have consided and may consider playing only one recognised ruck? Yes

Do other clubs actually play one rcognised ruck and a pinch hitter? Yes.

All that is pretty well known. Its not a new tactic it is just one we have yet to employ at the top level.

Obviously this would only be considered if we opt to only play one recognised ruck like some clubs have done.

If we continue with the two ruck policy well we do.
Fair enough. I think given our recruitment this off season, we really dont have any intention of going the single ruck option. We had the perfect opportunity to trial it after Rd 17 last year but elected not to. The ploy also won us a flag through the demolition of both AA ruckmen in the Prelim and GF.

Oh, that reminds me- we won the muthafarggin flag!

Teams are going to revert back to two ruckman seeing as it worked well for us this year.

Agreed. Every year you end up with a load of teams trying to emulate what the premiers did.

This time last year it was all about manic pressure in the forward half, Richmond style.

Now it will be using dual-ruck combinations to break down singular ruck opponents and stretch the opposition defence.

Teams are going to revert back to two ruckman seeing as it worked well for us this year.

Melbourne for instance traded in Preuss from North why they want to use alongside Gawn.

2 ruckmen is a trait that we have. I agree. Problem is we used them as taggers against Grundy and when NN was available, it was because he couldn’t run out the game.

I am not sure that’s a trait to “follow” to win a premiership. It’s not what won us the premiership.

Team defense and a working forward line with a shite midfield is our trait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back