Past #31: Braydon Preuss - traded to Melbourne FC with #62 - NMFC received Dom Tyson - thx Preussy

Remove this Banner Ad

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
For all of Wood's supposed flaws, he still kicked multiple goals in more than half his games this year, and was only held goalless once. I think he's always going to be an enigmatic player but he's certainly one opposition teams need to put time into.
Agreed.

I feel too that there's going to be a 2-3 year period (if he can stay fit) where it all clicks into gear for him. It might not be until he's 27/28/29, but I reckon it'll come and he'll be unstoppable for a period of about 50 games or so.

Nov 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
Agreed.

I feel too that there's going to be a 2-3 year period (if he can stay fit) where it all clicks into gear for him. It might not be until he's 27/28/29, but I reckon it'll come and he'll be unstoppable for a period of about 50 games or so.

That's what i thought of Koschitzke.

That period lasted 4 weeks.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
'I want to play beside Maxy': Preuss says he's no back-up
Ben Guthrie
Nov 19, 2018 9:26AM

maygawn191118.jpg
BRAYDON Preuss didn't make the move to Melbourne just to be Max Gawn's understudy and believes there is room for the Demons to play both big men.

Preuss, 23, was traded from North Melbourne in exchange for midfielder Dom Tyson and pick No.62 in the upcoming NAB AFL Draft after seeking more opportunities to play at the highest level.

Joining a side that has the best ruckman in the AFL left some commentators questioning the move, but for Preuss the factors in making the decision were clear cut.

"I want to play beside Maxy. Everyone thinks I want to play as his back up, but I want to play beside him," Preuss said as he joined his new teammates for their first session of the pre-season on Monday morning.

"I feel like I can develop it (ruck craft) a lot more than it is now. Training against and with the best you seem to get better [and that's what I hope to do].

"At North we tried it in a few (pre-season) games last year and I thought it worked OK, so hopefully we can make it work here."

Preuss played eight games for North Melbourne in 2017 but could not force his way into the side last season as Todd Goldstein was preferred as the No.1 ruckman.

Gawn was part of the Demons' presentation to Preuss – a rugby convert – as they looked to recruit him in the off-season, and the former Roo is confident they can develop a good rapport.

"We got along pretty well," Preuss said.

"He was all for playing the two big men and I think he's 27, so he's old as.

"I wanted his thoughts on it because he was the most important voice to hear, and he was all for it."

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
'I want to play beside Maxy': Preuss says he's no back-up
Ben Guthrie
Nov 19, 2018 9:26AM

maygawn191118.jpg
BRAYDON Preuss didn't make the move to Melbourne just to be Max Gawn's understudy and believes there is room for the Demons to play both big men.

Preuss, 23, was traded from North Melbourne in exchange for midfielder Dom Tyson and pick No.62 in the upcoming NAB AFL Draft after seeking more opportunities to play at the highest level.

Joining a side that has the best ruckman in the AFL left some commentators questioning the move, but for Preuss the factors in making the decision were clear cut.

"I want to play beside Maxy. Everyone thinks I want to play as his back up, but I want to play beside him," Preuss said as he joined his new teammates for their first session of the pre-season on Monday morning.

"I feel like I can develop it (ruck craft) a lot more than it is now. Training against and with the best you seem to get better [and that's what I hope to do].

"At North we tried it in a few (pre-season) games last year and I thought it worked OK, so hopefully we can make it work here."

Preuss played eight games for North Melbourne in 2017 but could not force his way into the side last season as Todd Goldstein was preferred as the No.1 ruckman.

Gawn was part of the Demons' presentation to Preuss – a rugby convert – as they looked to recruit him in the off-season, and the former Roo is confident they can develop a good rapport.

"We got along pretty well," Preuss said.

"He was all for playing the two big men and I think he's 27, so he's old as.

"I wanted his thoughts on it because he was the most important voice to hear, and he was all for it."

What a unit. Hope we knew what we were doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Still baffles me a bit this one.

Very happy to have him of course, but I don’t get it (unless we have offered him more $$).

How many first choice mids would you have to have been down before Tyson would've been used as an inside mid for you guys?

Assumption is he was 4th or 5th in line so you essentially cashed in proven depth for a project player?

Fwiw I think Preuss can be a 1st ruck and one very suited to finals. However as we're all saying, didn't think that was a pressing need for your club in particular.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Still baffles me a bit this one.

Very happy to have him of course, but I don’t get it (unless we have offered him more $$).

Doesn't make much sense to me either. It's not as if Melbourne don't have enough grunt.

Your club has most likely guaranteed him AFL game time.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
How many first choice mids would you have to have been down before Tyson would've been used as an inside mid for you guys?

Assumption is he was 4th or 5th in line so you essentially cashed in proven depth for a project player?

Fwiw I think Preuss can be a 1st ruck and one very suited to finals. However as we're all saying, didn't think that was a pressing need for your club in particular.

I think I’m more confused about Preuss’ decision than Melbourne’s.

Tyson is a good player but we’ve got too many inside mids and we were asking him to play outside when he Ian clearly an extractor. We actually didn’t have another ruckman on our list outside of Gawn, so getting Preuss in makes sense.

Why Preuss chose Melbourne as opposed to a club where he might make himself first ruck is the bit which confuses me. Surely we can’t ‘guarantee’ that we’ll run with 2 rucks all year?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I think I’m more confused about Preuss’ decision than Melbourne’s.

Tyson is a good player but we’ve got too many inside mids and we were asking him to play outside when he Ian clearly an extractor. We actually didn’t have another ruckman on our list outside of Gawn, so getting Preuss in makes sense.

Why Preuss chose Melbourne as opposed to a club where he might make himself first ruck is the bit which confuses me. Surely we can’t ‘guarantee’ that we’ll run with 2 rucks all year?

Am guessing Gawn is actually volunteering to share gametime and the coaches are (at least superficially) echoing this approach.

As you suggest there are no guarantees so Gawn must've simply given a more loving embrace than Goldstein or anyone else was offering (professionally).

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'll back in the footy dept. to know what they're doing.

Still needs to prove he can build up a tank, or he will ultimately get blown away by the AFL power running ruckman.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I used to watch a few pre season sessions each year, and the few years prior to Gawns break out he was just cutting lap after lap - barely saw him in the drills.

Hopefully for us Preuss learns from that and his tank improves.

Tyson is probably a better fit for your list so hopefully this is a win-win trade.

Preuss is certainly looking good so far though.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tyson is the sort of mid that could win a Norm Smith. Preuss is a future AA ruck. A lot to play out in this one. We took a risk, but you don't win in this game playing it safe.

Back