Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers Axeman and other watchers. When match simulations start I will be interested to know how BB, Cegs and Pitt are used. What I really want to know is if either of BB or Cegs are rotated through the forward line so that one of them will always be up forward.

Headed out to Waverley this morning. Conditions were warm and sunny with a light cool breeze. Most of the players were out on the ground when I arrived.

Today’s sessions was a lot of different drills and simulations interspersed with short but sharp hard running sessions.

The first drill that caught my eye was Sam Mitchell on the boundary line throwing in to Ceglar with Howe, Morrison & Cousins competing for the clearance. This would seem to be the candidates for replacing Tom in the middle. Harry may not have the size of the other two but his footy brain and evasiveness shone through. Cousins was very impressive with his body work and ability to get to the ball first.

A bit further along the boundary Chris Newman was doing the same drill but to the more conventional mid group of Shiels, J’OM, Smith & Worpel with Big Boy doing the tap work.

Observations from various match style drills and simulations including one played on a square AFL X style ground with two 5 minute halves:

Jarman Impey was dominating both with the ball and with his tackling and defensive pressure. He is the standout on the track so far for me and will be a force in 2019. In one piece of play he was one on with Bruest with an incoming long kick. He managed to out manoeuvre Bruest and get to the ball first, then evaded the tackle, dished off the hand ball, got up and ran to receive, dished off again, kept running, received again, then took the shot. It was sublime play from Jars.

Will Golds has me excited. He is super clean with pickups at full pace and nails his kicks which are generally low and fast. He is a great height and with some extra kg’s he could be a real weapon.

Jaegar was going full tilt at everything and as usual was all class. At one stage he was taken away from the main group by S Mitchell for some one on one tutelage that appeared to revolve around improving his kicking at different angles, off the outside of the boot etc. Sam was making him do it again and again until he got it right. Mitch is very blunt but very constructive in his teaching. Jaegar did all of the drills plus additional hard running between drills. Feels like they are ramping up his loads to really test him out.

Harry Jones is beginning to stand out more during drills. Took a great run down the wing with a bounce before delivering perfectly to the forward line. Took a nice contested grab as well.

Cousins was having a big impact all over the ground and is very prominent in all of the drills and match sims. Looking like a massive year for him.

Similarly, Worpel is in amongst everything and looks to be loving it. His kicking and decision making were excellent today.

Scrimshaw is looking more and more comfortable each session and will end up a bargain. Still can’t believe how much of a Birchall clone he is.

Chad = pure class. Still have to pinch myself that he is playing for the Hawks. He looks so laidback and almost like he isn’t trying but is so skillful. He just makes hard things look easy.

Sicily is another one that makes hard things look easy and always delivers.

Poppy was on fire today and has stood out at all sessions so far. I think we can expect a big year from him.

Isaac Smith very vocal with instructions to younger players.

I liked the efforts of C Glass today. Using his pace well off half back and delivering with accuracy to the forwards.

Was great to see Birch kicking the ball into the tall forwards for contested marking practise.

Pitto in rehab, running laps, lots and lots of laps.

Hardwick back with the main group.

Scully out there doing some running and handball drills.

I’ll add anything else that I remember. Should have another report on Friday.

Headed out to Waverley this morning.

The six words I look forward to the most on Bigfooty.
Thank you Axeman

Like everyone, love the reports from Axe (thanks mate). Read them every pre-season and get excited. However, it really is a funny thing isn't it - because everyone is always doing so well and anyone that is standing out/winning contests are doing so against other Hawthorn listed players (who must therefore be losing those same contests). Don't get me wrong I love the positivity but obviously so hard to actually get a read on anything given it is just training and everyone appears to be doing so well all the time.

Like everyone, love the reports from Axe (thanks mate). Read them every pre-season and get excited. However, it really is a funny thing isn't it - because everyone is always doing so well and anyone that is standing out/winning contests are doing so against other Hawthorn listed players (who must therefore be losing those same contests). Don't get me wrong I love the positivity but obviously so hard to actually get a read on anything given it is just training and everyone appears to be doing so well all the time.
If a forward kicks 10 in a practice match he's a star, if he kicks none the back man is a star. Neither will ever be a spud.

However Axeman is pretty good at identifying things that aren't opposition dependent. Who is injured, who is fast, who is skilful, who is showing leadership etc...

If a forward kicks 10 in a practice match he's a star, if he kicks none the back man is a star. Neither will ever be a spud.

However Axeman is pretty good at identifying things that aren't opposition dependent. Who is injured, who is fast, who is skilful, who is showing leadership etc...

Thanks kazzooka.
For the players that are not regulars in the senior side or haven't debuted yet, it's about seeing their progression since last preseason. Cousins, Jones and Lewis are prime examples. All were somewhat inconspicuous last year but are really making their presence felt this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks kazzooka.
For the players that are not regulars in the senior side or haven't debuted yet, it's about seeing their progression since last preseason. Cousins, Jones and Lewis are prime examples. Both were somewhat inconspicuous last year but are really making their presence felt this year.

Report too short. A four sentence post next to your avatar at this time of year is like a meth addict finding a bunch of empty pipes scattered on the ground. Cruel and unusual punishment.

Cheers Axeman and other watchers. When match simulations start I will be interested to know how BB, Cegs and Pitt are used. What I really want to know is if either of BB or Cegs are rotated through the forward line so that one of them will always be up forward.

I don't see it working any other way, unless Rough and Schoey have a flying pre-season.

It’s like Tim O’Brien doesn’t even exist!

PAHpwHecIyi0eyqxqWQr9C0qjC3rE-AFVKlNP4rRpe9GQOPXRXe0ojt9B72dus9e_F7nOtuZX6uYo4aSg9aKT7usMRTF_SBJSchf=w503-h200-nc

Jono ORourke and Lovell used to dominate practice match simulation 🤔

James Cousins is the one for me. Had some good VFL form last year and with Titch gone it's a huge opportunity for him. There's a contested monster in him just waiting to be released.

There seems a lot of focus on Cousins. Personally, I’m aboard the Howe train. Hoping he is now refreshed after the mental trials of last season and is ready to dominate. A big frame, great competitiveness and goes when it’s his turn. Hopefully he can add a few more tweaks to the game under Sam and go up a level.

There seems a lot of focus on Cousins. Personally, I’m aboard the Howe train. Hoping he is now refreshed after the mental trials of last season and is ready to dominate. A big frame, great competitiveness and goes when it’s his turn. Hopefully he can add a few more tweaks to the game under Sam and go up a level.
Me too. The most likely to go bang in mitchell’s Absence.

looks like tarzan plays like jane!
he should model his game on jpk has the frame and attributes to be a contested beast needs a rocket and some inner belief.

looks like tarzan plays like jane!
he should model his game on jpk has the frame and attributes to be a contested beast needs a rocket and some inner belief.

Jane is one tough chick - without her Tarzan is ****ed

I've been a Howe doubter from some of his snail pace rebound 50's when playing defence early on, he just looked like he didn't have to the awareness or speed of mind.

However he was more promising as a mid. there was a play last year I think against Sydney or Geelong where he took a defensive mark going back with the flight and pushed hard forward and ended up marking and goaling at the other end.

Howe reminds me a little of Lewis. Not as hard, but still does those unnoticed team things very well and consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back