Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE/Richmond
Collingwood/Hawthorn

CBF rating the rest. Pies for the Prem for me, Eagles and Tigers might have the best forward line but all that matters is the Premiership Cup. Still, * those teams forward lines are dynamite. Wingard at the Hawkers makes that side off the ******* charts.

Are we talking the best forward line on paper or the most functionable forward line? If it’s the former then Richmond win, if it’s the latter then it’s hard to go past the team with the highest scoring average - Melbourne.

Maybe I’m overcomplicating things, but I don’t see how West Coast are number one in either criteria, yet they lead the poll.

On the basis that Kennedy and Darling are the best tall combo in the land til proven otherwise with plenty of runs on the board including the most recent of premierships. Add some great complementing pieces and they are damn good. Richmond a very close second and could potentially go past them.

And no ... pure scoring is not an accurate measure. Not intending to be disrespectful, but some defences are severely weaker than others. Some teams got to play those teams twice. Some teams drew two game against the league' stingiest defences lik Richmond, Sydney, GWS and Hawthorn.

Pretty simple really. More people are of the opinion that Kennedy, Darling, Rioli, Ryan, and Cripps are a better forward line combination than Riewoldt, Lynch, Rioli, Butler & Edwards.
You didn’t answer my question, but this doesn’t surprise me.

On the basis that Kennedy and Darling are the best tall combo in the land til proven otherwise with plenty of runs on the board including the most recent of premierships. Add some great complementing pieces and they are damn good. Richmond a very close second and could potentially go past them.

And no ... pure scoring is not an accurate measure. Not intending to be disrespectful, but some defences are severely weaker than others. Some teams got to play those teams twice. Some teams drew two game against the league' stingiest defences lik Richmond, Sydney, GWS and Hawthorn.
But WCE may have played the same crap defences twice which made their forwards look better? It goes both ways.

But WCE may have played the same crap defences twice which made their forwards look better? It goes both ways.

Won't even bother with this ..... I told you why points scored was not the greatest measure.
Yes WC may have played poor defences twice, but I'll rely on what I saw with my naked eye and through the finals as to why I think WC had the best forward line.
I'm not one - as obviously you and many others are - who go chasing useless Champion Data or other stats to make meaningless comparisons. As I've quoted before: 'Stats are a cheap way for people who know nothing or little about the game to think they know a whole lot.'
For the record, I was booted from the Richmond board (and by a mod who was a certain player's No. 1 cheerleader) and he and another poster (who also whinged about me to the mods) would did each week for some, largely obscure and pointless stat to convince the rest one C. Ellis was a good player. The fact his final game for us was a catastrophe and the fact he was shipped off to GC without fuss tells me he was no god. See .... the naked eye!

Won't even bother with this ..... I told you why points scored was not the greatest measure.
Correct.

It used to be, but it's changed in the last three years. Prior to that in 6 of the previous 7 years the top two scoring team in those years had been a grand finalist with the traditionally low scoring Swans the only anomaly. And in those 7 years often the top scoring team in the H&A won the flag, but the last three years have thrown everything out the window. That said, a high scoring team will typically be one of the better teams.

I have already answered your question multiple times, but you just keep ignoring what doesn't suit your argument. Moving on.
I’m not arguing anything. I had a legitimate question about the thread criteria and your response didn’t adequately address it.

But anyway...

Correct.

It used to be, but it's changed in the last three years. Prior to that in 6 of the previous 7 years the top two scoring team in those years had been a grand finalist with the traditionally low scoring Swans the only anomaly. And in those 7 years often the top scoring team in the H&A won the flag, but the last three years have thrown everything out the window. That said, a high scoring team will typically be one of the better teams.

Melbourne were such a high scoring team in 2018 because they tended to smash bad teams, smashing Freo, The Dogs, The Suns, and The Crows (not a good team in 2018). So they have a big For in their tally. This doesn't equate to having the best forward line, but does equate to them being the flat track bullies of the comp. I would love to see their for and against points against top 8 sides.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne were such a high scoring team in 2018 because they tended to smash bad teams, smashing Freo, The Dogs, The Suns, and The Crows (not a good team in 2018). So they have a big For in their tally. This doesn't equate to having the best forward line, but does equate to them being the flat track bullies of the comp. I would love to see their for and against points against top 8 sides.
What a miserable dolt you are.

Firstly, if you'd "love to see" the numbers do it yourself, ya lazy prick.

Secondly, only two sides scored 100+ points against the Eagles in 2018 and one of them was Melbourne. We also scored the third highest score against Hawthorn for the season and it was in a final.

With your level of intellect I'm expecting some reference to a prelim in your reply.

What a miserable dolt you are.

Firstly, if you'd "love to see" the numbers do it yourself, ya lazy prick.

Secondly, only two sides scored 100+ points against the Eagles in 2018 and one of them was Melbourne. We also scored the third highest score against Hawthorn for the season and it was in a final.

With your level of intellect I'm expecting some reference to a prelim in your reply.

Miserable dolt? calm down idiot, it's a valid observation to note that Demons smashed some bad teams and that would inflate their goal tally. Pretty basic observation that doesn't require you to get all upset and flustered.

And no, im not going to go out and crunch the numbers for the entire year to find out their record against top 8 sides, because its a perfectly acceptable course of action to wonder if anyone knows the figures, and quite frankly, it's not worth my time, especially for you.

And 2 points of evidence (Hawks and Eagle victories) doesn't equate to an entire season, hence my curiosity to see how it stacked up against the other good sides over the entire year. But nice try in using your superior intellect to select a sample size that covers your only 2 victories against top 8 sides for the year.

Jog on rookie.

*Edit
A poster has just recently posted the top 8 side for and against, and turns out, i was right. Go figure.

P.S Nice prelim.
*stifles laughter.

Last edited:
Tom McDonald is certainly the most underrated tall fwd in the game.

They're lucky he's blossomed as it meant getting rid of Hogan was not as big a loss.
Plenty of upside to the Dees fwds as well.

But not sure they'll be as effective as Rich/WC throughout 2019.

Tom McDonald is certainly the most underrated tall fwd in the game.

They're lucky he's blossomed as it meant getting rid of Hogan was not as big a loss.
Plenty of upside to the Dees fwds as well.

But not sure they'll be as effective as Rich/WC throughout 2019.
Who knows, but I'd point this out to you.

Viney will be like a new recruit if he plays nearly every match. And Lever and May would be handy additions in defence.

I could also list the names of all our players who've played between 50-100 games, who we could reasonably expect improvement from, but I'm sure you can look that up yourself.

Who knows, but I'd point this out to you.

Viney will be like a new recruit if he plays nearly every match. And Lever and May would be handy additions in defence.

I could also list the names of all our players who've played between 50-100 games, who we could reasonably expect improvement from, but I'm sure you can look that up yourself.

What's Lever and May got to do with their Forward line?
McDonald was playing forward all of 2018.

Viney might assist ball getting into their fwd line, but not sure he's the best lace out kick.

Okay since Coaster2012 did not have time, i did have time to compile it.

Home and away season only - 2018

Melbourne against top 8
Two wins
Six losses

Melbourne 13.16 (94) def. by Geelong 14.13 (97)
Hawthorn 18.7 (115) def. Melbourne 6.12 (48)
Melbourne 8.8 (56) def. by Richmond 15.12 (102)
Melbourne 14.7 (91) def. by Collingwood 20.13 (133)
Geelong 16.4 (100) def. Melbourne 14.14 (98)
Melbourne 10.18 (78) def. by Sydney 13.9 (87)
West Coast 14.7 (91) def. by Melbourne 16.12 (108)
Melbourne 15.12 (102) def. Greater Western Sydney 8.9 (57)

Points for average: 84
Points against average: 97

Okay since Coaster2012 did not have time, i did have time to compile it.

Home and away season only - 2018

Melbourne against top 8
Two wins
Six losses

Melbourne 13.16 (94) def. by Geelong 14.13 (97)
Hawthorn 18.7 (115) def. Melbourne 6.12 (48)
Melbourne 8.8 (56) def. by Richmond 15.12 (102)
Melbourne 14.7 (91) def. by Collingwood 20.13 (133)
Geelong 16.4 (100) def. Melbourne 14.14 (98)
Melbourne 10.18 (78) def. by Sydney 13.9 (87)
West Coast 14.7 (91) def. by Melbourne 16.12 (108)
Melbourne 15.12 (102) def. Greater Western Sydney 8.9 (57)

Points for average: 84
Points against average: 97

Good job.

And my suspicions have been realized. When they go up against a good defense, their forward line doesn't hold up. Meaning their inflated goal tally has come from the demolition of bad sides.

Last edited:
Good job.

And my suspicions have been realized. When they go up against a good defense, their forward line doesn't hold up. Meaning their inflated goal tally has come from the demolition of bad sides.

It's all well and good to look at the goal tally but it doesn't tell the whole story.

vs Geelong - 29 scoring shots
vs Collingwood - 21 scoring shots
vs Geelong - 28 scoring shots
vs Sydney - 28 scoring shots
vs West Coast - 28 scoring shots
vs GWS - 27 scoring shots

Being wasteful in front of goal was the issue.

The lazy bastard thinks scoring is totally reliant on the quality of the forward-line.

And also thinks how a team is playing in round 4 will be the same in round 22.

Thick as a brick.

Good job.

Not interested in getting in to more of this dees fans v you crap show but I think an average score of 84 is holding up. How many games against other top 8 teams are lost with a score of 84/how many finals are lost by scoring 84. 6 goals 12 in the wet against the Hawks and then well held by the best defensive side in the comp against the Tigers on Anzac Eve the outliers, every other score above 78.

Anyway, still behind West Coast, maybe Essendon and Collingwood and depending on how Lynch fits then Richmond. Somewhere in the 5-10 pack.

Melbourne's midfield are their strongest line and when they get beat (eg. the prelim) and when the weakest line in the backline falls to water that's when the forward line struggles. Hence why the club got May to strengthen the backline and made some midfield changes/reinforcements.

The lazy bastard thinks scoring is totally reliant on the quality of the forward-line.

And also thinks how a team is playing in round 4 will be the same in round 22.

Thick as a brick.

Considering this thread is about who has the best forward line, not who kicks the most goals, then judging only the front 6 is perfectly okay since its the entire point of the thread.

It's all well and good to look at the goal tally but it doesn't tell the whole story.

vs Geelong - 29 scoring shots
vs Collingwood - 21 scoring shots
vs Geelong - 28 scoring shots
vs Sydney - 28 scoring shots
vs West Coast - 28 scoring shots
vs GWS - 27 scoring shots

Being wasteful in front of goal was the issue.

Im bored so..

Melbourne 29 (94) vs Geelong 27 (97) +2
Hawthorn 25 (115) vs Melbourne 18 (48) -7
Melbourne 16 (56) vs Richmond 27 (102) -11
Melbourne 21 (91) vs Collingwood 33 (133) -12
Geelong 20 (100) vs Melbourne 28 (98) +8
Melbourne 28 (78) vs Sydney 22 (87) +6
West Coast 21 (91) vs Melbourne 28 (108) +7
Melbourne 27 (102) vs Greater Western Sydney 17 (57) +10

total differential of +3 scoring shots, wouldnt say there is anything major to read into the number of scoring shots melb have vs what other teams in the 8 had

Back