A Section VAFA Premier 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Even before that , the school has a ground in Port Melbourne , the same as Peninsula and others.

aps old boys clubs cant really play at schools ovals because of saturday sport. see just in a grade

old xavs : toorak
skob : th king
collegians : harry trott
OB : brighton beach
OM : vafa hq
Carey : get to use the schools sporting fields

Hopefully now the golf course is gone a couple of grounds can be built just on the other side of the aqua duct for Elsternwick fooy & cricket clubs & even OM's

Last edited:
aps old boys clubs cant really play at schools ovals because of saturday sport. see just in a grade

Hopefully now the golf course is gone a couple of grounds can be built just on the other side of the aqua duct for Elsternwick fooy & cricket clubs & even OM's

Spoke to the elsternwick secretary who has been dealing with the council regarding their oval redevelopment (if you call it that) and under no circumstance will the golf course be made into sporting fields. It will be parkland/ green space for the good of the community!!????

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The have ovals at Domain rd and Port, work around the school footy, Peninsula do.

Spoke to the elsternwick secretary who has been dealing with the council regarding their oval redevelopment (if you call it that) and under no circumstance will the golf course be made into sporting fields. It will be parkland/ green space for the good of the community!!????

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dog walkers ! and tree huggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Romero (SKOBAFL) son of Jose Romero is someone I will be keeping a keen eye on this season. After a injury ravaged season where he still managed to play in the young guns game, I expect the speedy small forward to really excel in a forward line that is led by Ex AFL champion Jarrad Waite.
Michael Romero was a good player in his junior years but when he turned 17 his advancement stopped. He lost his speed, his influence on the game just wasn't there. From all accounts he is a really nice young man so I hope he does well.

Michael Romero was a good player in his junior years but when he turned 17 his advancement stopped. He lost his speed, his influence on the game just wasn't there. From all accounts he is a really nice young man so I hope he does well.
Not sure about that, he’s running in the Stawell Gift this Easter. Had a heap of injuries in 2018, will bounce back in 2019.

Not sure about that, he’s running in the Stawell Gift this Easter. Had a heap of injuries in 2018, will bounce back in 2019.
He was quick but lost his speed, he would be 20 now so He may have settled. The last time I saw him play was for the Cannons before his old man took him out.

Predicted ladder for this year lads and ladettes?(Surely no lady would post here? Lol).
I’ll put it out there:

St Kevin’s
Collegians
Uni Blues
Old Brighton

Old Xaverians
Old Trinity
De La Salle
St Bernard’s
Old Melburnians
Old Carey

Nice work Doug. Would swap Xavs and Brighton but otherwise your top 4 looks spot on. As much it pains me to say I think my mob are looking like a bottom 2 side. What was a mid-table team in 2018 has been impacted by retirements and players leaving for coin. Will need some luck and a few blokes to step up. Unfortunately if we find ourselves in B grade it will be a long way back.

Nice work Doug. Would swap Xavs and Brighton but otherwise your top 4 looks spot on. As much it pains me to say I think my mob are looking like a bottom 2 side. What was a mid-table team in 2018 has been impacted by retirements and players leaving for coin. Will need some luck and a few blokes to step up. Unfortunately if we find ourselves in B grade it will be a long way back.
Think back to 2016. A grade Premiers in 2015, we lost a heap of top end talent, had a huge struggle in 2016, went back to B grade and two years later a younger side (with quality senior players coming back obviously) enjoyed a B grade premiership. Has done wonders for the club and been really enjoyable. Quality clubs bounce back and yours (de la?) would be very strong in B grade. If it does come to that. That is where the relegation and promotion system of VAFA footy is excellent. So I would not be as pessimistic as your comment might imply. Two flags in four seasons at Bernards means the place is fun to be around and despite one of those years being a genuine tough gig, the club has maintained a great environment and been lucky enough to taste some success. De La could do the same on a 3 year timeframe.

Think back to 2016. A grade Premiers in 2015, we lost a heap of top end talent, had a huge struggle in 2016, went back to B grade and two years later a younger side (with quality senior players coming back obviously) enjoyed a B grade premiership. Has done wonders for the club and been really enjoyable. Quality clubs bounce back and yours (de la?) would be very strong in B grade. If it does come to that. That is where the relegation and promotion system of VAFA footy is excellent. So I would not be as pessimistic as your comment might imply. Two flags in four seasons at Bernards means the place is fun to be around and despite one of those years being a genuine tough gig, the club has maintained a great environment and been lucky enough to taste some success. De La could do the same on a 3 year timeframe.

There are legitimate reasons for my pessimism. Relied on good U19s program for years but the gap between 19s and Premier seniors is now like a chasm with fewer able to make the step. Means you now have to ‘go to market’ and we just don’t have the clout to match it with SKOBs, Colls, Uni Blues, Xavs etc in trying to attract the elite talent.

DLS a very small school by comparison to most (and actually a lot smaller than other ACC school-based clubs in lower grades). To make matters worse some of the better talent gets picked off around years 9 and 10. Not a big follower of school sport but understand that the school has done very well lately in athletics, swimming etc but poorly in senior football. Also wedged between the EFL and SFL territory and sadly are seeing more departing for $, particularly top end players into EFL Div. 1.

Don’t get me wrong, DLS will never just roll over and while Jake Williams, Tom Humphrey, Ant Forato etc are still running around they will be tough to beat but the reality is that if we drop to B grade it will be a hard road back.

So how do you think you will go this year Bagman? Still a lot of conjecture about Chad Jones playing or not playing. Won a flag (or 2) with him. Got relegated without him so obviously very reliant. Whisper is he is perhaps more unlikely than likely but that is only what I have heard from afar.

There are legitimate reasons for my pessimism. Relied on good U19s program for years but the gap between 19s and Premier seniors is now like a chasm with fewer able to make the step. Means you now have to ‘go to market’ and we just don’t have the clout to match it with SKOBs, Colls, Uni Blues, Xavs etc in trying to attract the elite talent.

DLS a very small school by comparison to most (and actually a lot smaller than other ACC school-based clubs in lower grades). To make matters worse some of the better talent gets picked off around years 9 and 10. Not a big follower of school sport but understand that the school has done very well lately in athletics, swimming etc but poorly in senior football. Also wedged between the EFL and SFL territory and sadly are seeing more departing for $, particularly top end players into EFL Div. 1.

Don’t get me wrong, DLS will never just roll over and while Jake Williams, Tom Humphrey, Ant Forato etc are still running around they will be tough to beat but the reality is that if we drop to B grade it will be a hard road back.

So how do you think you will go this year Bagman? Still a lot of conjecture about Chad Jones playing or not playing. Won a flag (or 2) with him. Got relegated without him so obviously very reliant. Whisper is he is perhaps more unlikely than likely but that is only what I have heard from afar.
No idea about Chad Jones JJ. Quite simply, if he plays he probably kicks 30-50 goals and we stay up and are very competitive. If he doesn’t play, we struggle. We lack 1 or 2 genuine key posts at both ends versus the better A grade sides. Our mids and small forwards and backs are quality and we have depth in that area. So I am optimistic. If Chad Jones plays, he will be player 21 of our 22 premiership players locked in. Only lost one - to an overseas work opportunity. And we have 4 or 5 genuine first XVIII recruits so we will be stronger than last season - as long as Jones plays!! Fingers crossed.

When any team drops "a grade" you soon find out who your friends are. Do a "double drop" and your pretty much an orphan..........
No fun dropping and being a hero in the lower grade..........

Brendan Close leaving is a hammer blow, what’s the attraction of Blackburn? Liam Murphy has gone there too Jimmyjack What a bugger.

Brendan Close leaving is a hammer blow, what’s the attraction of Blackburn? Liam Murphy has gone there too Jimmyjack What a bugger.

Simple – money cash, coin, the filthy lucre.. ……whatever you want to call it. Remember they snagged Xavier Murphy a few years back plus some others over time.

Anyone who suggests that they seriously police the salary cap in the EFL is taking the P1%%

Not the only club to be pillaged by the EFL but the recent impact has been significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back