• Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 26, 2013
Western Transylvania
AFL Club
West Coast
I get pissed off at losing the 400ml that I dispose of after all the testing combined! That's an entire beer I'm wasting! My brain somehow equates spending $200 on the Tilt a worthwhile investment to not chuck out that 400ml. :$

Also the advantages of the anytime testing, restricting the oxygen exposure and removing the posiibility of contamination are also attractive. :p

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Are you pulling a sample via the fermenter tap and using a hydrometer? Or just spinning a hydrometer in the fermenter?

I'm just trying to ascertain why the concern about o2 exposure. For me in that regard, it's the dry hop method I'm worried about. My stainless fermenter has a hole in the lid for air lock that I think would be useful to add hops via funnel..
I usually just scoop it from the top of the fermenter using a ladle or a turkey baster

I tend not to pull from the tap because it’s usually all just yeast and trub so I never know whether to trust the reading. Plus it’ll result in the same amount of oxidation surely.

After tonight’s homebrew club I think I have decided to definitely get a kegmenter or some other fermenter that I can pressurise. Need to throw out my old plastic fermenters as I think they might be a little infected

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So I finally checked the gravity of my two split batch saisons yesterday

The Dupont strain batch had no sign of the stalling issues that many people complain of, and finished up at around 1.005-1,006

The Belle Saison batch...well it was at a ridiculous 1.001!! It may have even been 1.000.

Both smelled great, the Dupont probably nicer - less boozy notes and more clean.

I chilled the two samples for a taste but then forgot which was which! They were both good but I suspect the Dupont will be the tastier of the two. One was a fair bit more phenolic.

4E6CC683-9C43-4482-8B84-F085D340F744.jpeg

Not going to bother cold crashing these funky bois, just need to get round to bottling

Last edited:

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Been crook as * over the last week so only just bottled my saisons over the weekend.

I have a bunch of milled grain that I bought in bulk a couple of months ago - the plan was to vacuum seal it all into bags but half of them keep opening (because of the flour dust I think).

Feeling bad about having this pre-milled grain sitting around and me not brewing but I just haven’t had the energy. Legit thought I had Ross River virus or something.

Anywho, I think my next batch will be a kettle sour Berliner or something. I just hope I haven’t destroyed the malt by oxidising it too much

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Amazing!

Please paint wickets on the front.

We were throwing the idea around on Xmas day because we planned to wheel it down to the park for a game but it was too hot. I think it'll probably cop something like this at some point, perhaps in crude fashion as it's getting plenty of use.

Had it at a family members birthday last weekend and a bucks this weekend.

Been crook as **** over the last week so only just bottled my saisons over the weekend.

I have a bunch of milled grain that I bought in bulk a couple of months ago - the plan was to vacuum seal it all into bags but half of them keep opening (because of the flour dust I think).

Feeling bad about having this pre-milled grain sitting around and me not brewing but I just haven’t had the energy. Legit thought I had Ross River virus or something.

Anywho, I think my next batch will be a kettle sour Berliner or something. I just hope I haven’t destroyed the malt by oxidising it too much

Bugger mate, hope you are on the improve. Grain can't really turn bad can it? I only read of guys being concerned when they get bugs in there haha

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep crushed grain will. best to use as soon as possible after milling.
With un-milled grain, pump it full of CO2 and close up the bag with a zip tie to fumigate the weavils.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep crushed grain will. best to use as soon as possible after milling.
With un-milled grain, pump it full of CO2 and close up the bag with a zip tie to fumigate the weavils.
Yeah I reckon I may have wasted a bunch of money in an effort to try save some. All good, better to just buy some new grain than waste a batch.

It’s probably only about 5-6 kg worth

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Cracked the first bottle of the Belle half of my recent split-batch saison.

Tastes ******* DeLISH

Can’t wait for the Dupont half to carb up, because I already know it tastes better

B7CEEA36-13D9-43CE-9850-DFA9D25D65D8.jpeg

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Going to give a kettle soured Berliner a crack soon I think.

Seems pretty easy.

You’ve done one before hey DanWCE ?

Sure have. I used lactic 88% to drop the pH to ~4.5 and then innolucated the wort with lacto and kept checking it using unreliable pH strips until it hit mid 3s. This was all in my urn to keep it warm (plugged into my fridge temp controller).

Once I achieved the target pH I boiled it up, chilled, added some sacch and fermented as normal. Chilled and aged on fruit.

I also purged the urn with co2, can't for the life of me remember how I did it though.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Sure have. I used lactic 88% to drop the pH to ~4.5 and then innolucated the wort with lacto and kept checking it using unreliable pH strips until it hit mid 3s. This was all in my urn to keep it warm (plugged into my fridge temp controller).

Once I achieved the target pH I boiled it up, chilled, added some sacch and fermented as normal. Chilled and aged on fruit.

I also purged the urn with co2, can't for the life of me remember how I did it though.
Yeah sweet. Sounds like my intended process except I don’t have any CO2. Was thinking of just laying down some glad wrap or something on top of the wort to keep out the oxygen.

Did you use IBS tablets? Or buy white labs lacto? What yeast did you use?

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah sweet. Sounds like my intended process except I don’t have any CO2. Was thinking of just laying down some glad wrap or something on top of the wort to keep out the oxygen.

Did you use IBS tablets? Or buy white labs lacto? What yeast did you use?

I did the glad wrap but somehow purged it as well. I think you'll be fine without doing it. If I was going to do it now I'd probably use my little bike tyre co2 cannister just to bubble it through there.

Unsure of what lacto culture but it was a liquid sachet. No starter (was a bit slow).

I used S05 without any dramas. Some guys have been having issues with S05 here lately. Nottingham is a workhorse replacement so that could be a good substitute.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I did the glad wrap but somehow purged it as well. I think you'll be fine without doing it. If I was going to do it now I'd probably use my little bike tyre co2 cannister just to bubble it through there.

Unsure of what lacto culture but it was a liquid sachet. No starter (was a bit slow).

I used S05 without any dramas. Some guys have been having issues with S05 here lately. Nottingham is a workhorse replacement so that could be a good substitute.
Yeah I’ve heard. My last s05 pale turned out s**t.

I decided I’ll use lallemand’s dry lacto ‘Sour Pitch’ ($19 for 5 batches) and then use London Ale III after.

Going to use this passionfruit extract too, just not sure when in the process. Thinking at bottling but just need to suss out how much sugar it contains

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I’ve heard. My last s05 pale turned out s**t.

I decided I’ll use lallemand’s dry lacto ‘Sour Pitch’ ($19 for 5 batches) and then use London Ale III after.

Going to use this passionfruit extract too, just not sure when in the process. Thinking at bottling but just need to suss out how much sugar it contains

Mm that'll be tricky. Got a big pot to pasteurise your own stubbies?

Back