Socceroos 2019 AFC ASIAN CUP-Socceroos Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the press are saying that one of Luongo or Irvine needs to drop out to accommodate Milligan with Sainsbury returning in defence. Why can't Milligan drop to the bench?
Are either of Luongo or Irvine defensive enough? Probably not. Would leave us very exposed considering it seems like the full backs are being told to push high.

Are either of Luongo or Irvine defensive enough? Probably not. Would leave us very exposed considering it seems like the full backs are being told to push high.

One of them could hang back. They are both so much better on the ball than Milligan. We aren't playing a Japan/S Korea/Iran level team.

I would like to think that Milligan retires from the NT after the Asian Cup as he won't be around for Qatar 2022 obviously.

I see the press are saying that one of Luongo or Irvine needs to drop out to accommodate Milligan with Sainsbury returning in defence. Why can't Milligan drop to the bench?

I agree with this. Milligan inspires 0 confidence when we need to score, it almost feels like were a man down in attack. I reckon bring him on to help protect a lead but that's about it.

Simple fact is, if Milligan wasn't captain he wouldn't be starting
No, he would be because Arnie loves him. That's also why he's captain.

If you're comparing Milligan to Luongo, you don't understand the role that Milligan is playing for the team.

Best XI in my opinion for Uzbekistan

___________ Ryan __________
Behich Sainsbury Degenek Grant
_____ Luongo Irvine _________
__________ Rogic ___________
__ Ikonomidis Giannou Mabil ___

Vukovic
Langerak
Gersbach
Jurman
Milligan
Risdon
Maclaren
Jeggo
Amini
Nabbout
Leckie
Kruse

without injuries:

___________ Ryan __________
Behich Sainsbury Degenek Grant
______ Luongo Irvine ________
__________ Rogic ___________
__ Ikonomidis Nabbout Leckie __

Mabil massive weapon off the bench

One of them could hang back. They are both so much better on the ball than Milligan. We aren't playing a Japan/S Korea/Iran level team.

I would like to think that Milligan retires from the NT after the Asian Cup as he won't be around for Qatar 2022 obviously.

Luongo good on the ball... what's the measuring stick? He really isn't.
Would prefer Milligan all day, every day. At least he is actually really good at what he's meant to be good at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet hes still better than Milligan
Is he though? I'm not a fan of Luongo as you can tell - he's very to be playing at Championship level and to be honest that's the only reason he's in the national team. His performances have been average for a while. I wouldn't pick him but would concede Milligan might not be the answer but he is defensively arguably the best player we have.

really? you haven't seen enough of Milligan for the national team, in World Cups, winning titles in the a-league to know what he excels at?
I wouldnt use "winning titles in the a league" as an example of being a great NT player.

really? you haven't seen enough of Milligan for the national team, in World Cups, winning titles in the a-league to know what he excels at?

He is serviceable, yes, but I wouldn't say really good. He just happens to be one of the better of a s**t bunch.

I wouldnt use "winning titles in the a league" as an example of being a great NT player.
Wasn't my point though. The point was about knowing what he does well. We have players in the national team set-up who play in inferior leagues to the a-league or have in the past so it's not the be all and end all and to be honest some of our better performing players recently have come from the a-league. We have in the past have had an obsession with picking players just because they're playing in Europe, even if in substandard leagues. It looks like we are sort of going beyond that now which is great. Or perhaps the bigger problem is we have focussed in the past of picking players who are in Europe but barely playing just because they are in Europe.

Wasn't my point though. The point was about knowing what he does well. We have players in the national team set-up who play in inferior leagues to the a-league or have in the past so it's not the be all and end all and to be honest some of our better performing players recently have come from the a-league. We have in the past have had an obsession with picking players just because they're playing in Europe, even if in substandard leagues. It looks like we are sort of going beyond that now which is great. Or perhaps the bigger problem is we have focussed in the past of picking players who are in Europe but barely playing just because they are in Europe.
Not quite sure that's right. The A League is worse than every European league our players play in currently.

Some of our better players have come from the A League ?? Well sure but none of them have played here in recent times. That's like saying our best goalkeeper was a product of Marconi..... might have played there a bit but that's not where they improved.

And no Milligan isnt one of our best performed players

Nervous as hell tonight. I think we should win but if we play like we did against Jordan we will probably lose. We're on a good bracket, honestly we should be making the semi final against South Korea at the very least from here.
Agree. But we needed to lose to Jordan to jolt us into action.
A lot more switched on and non complacent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back