Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

BSOS seems to have gigantic feet. I just wonder if he's going to end up being very special.

Thanks very much for the reports guys and please, keep them coming.

Watched Setterfield for a fair portion of the training. Others players calling him "Kouta". Joined in a fair chunk of the drills, before doing agility work then called in to crumb off the ruck tap-work (see above). Moving really well. Reckon he will be a massive in when he debuts later on. Not just yet.....
He was taking speccies easily in some one-on-one by more grey shirts.

Setterfield will be a gun. No doubt

Can’t wait to see him fully fit

Solid training session today and a step or two up from last week.
Also good to see mids vs mids, ruck contests, full ground drills, albeit playing only one half of the ground, with around 15 or so players.
Focus on ball movement and bringing the ball into the middle before the last kick into the forward line, suggests a possible more attacking game forthcoming.
I'll again only raise the standout things to me and maybe a few points of difference:

Very pleased to see McKay contest well in the ruck.
Used his body favourably, held his ground and given he was pitted up against our primary talls (No TDK involvement, who left the ground early), he did more than enough to show we may have a valuable second ruck on our hands and not simply a filler. No fooling around either. Looked (was made to look) very serious.

Kennedy impressed again. This is not the same Kennedy we saw last year.
Amazing how a little (?) injury can make one look second rate. Lateral movement, strength and power in the first step looked good.
Kennedy has to come into my starting 22 and have to take Setterfield out...for now.

Walsh. I know...Walsh, Walsh, Walsh, but seriously, he's hard to ignore.
What I liked to see most though was after a tackle that brought Casboult down, he was clearly in pain. Corky?
Limped around a little, walked around the edge of the other players and prepared himself for the next tackle, in which he brought Casboult down again.
The rest has been said and we'll simply have to wait and see what he's like in the real stuff.

Phillips. Always looks good through pre-seasons and then finds it hard to get onto the park in the season proper. It's a pity.
His ground work was of a very high standard today and picked up the ball off the deck, better than some of our smalls and mids.
Contested well in the ruck duels and ran harder and faster than his group of four.

JSilvagni & Polson presented very well today and were heavily involved in most things.
Not everything was of the highest standard, except for the efforts. Jack also trained with the mids. Interesting.

Talk about Silvagnis, Ben is intriguing to me.
His training standard is very good. Marks well, contests well, kicks well enough.
Looked better than last week to me. Is that how things are going to open up? Have we hidden him to our advantage? He's a funny one.

Anyone not putting ECurnow, Murphy or Thomas in their starting 22 is doing it wrong.
Ed was a beast today (isn't he always?), Murphy used very well and looks 5 years younger and Thomas....well, he's Thomas.

Dow was unfortunately quite sloppy today though. Maybe just an off day.
Finbar. We have a long way to go, but no problem there.

Williamson did come off early and looked a bit upright walking off. Can't assume anything but it didn't look great.

Goddard and Setterfield got involved in the main drills at times.
McGovern just some kick to kick with a trainer.
Marchbank must have run a mini marathon today. Looks in great shape.
Lang just couldn't keep up with Caleb. Tried but got lost and eventually moved on.
Plowman has changed body shape and looks in ripping condition.
Charlie being Charlie.....which is a good thing.
Anything on Stocker Harks?

Anything on Stocker Harks?
Settling in quite well by the looks of it. Laser kicking and the other boys know it, leading with confidence as Stocker hits them up.
3 things about Stocker at training I noticed....
(1) Spending a fair bit of time with Ed, which is a good sign for him learning midfield craft. I remember this was after a drill had finished and Stocker made a vee line for Ed to talk, before cantering to the middle for a drink. P1018287.JPG
(2) Spent the last part of today's session on goal-kicking. Real smooth action and rarely missed from 40m, then I realised he was kicking them on his RIGHT. Pretty sure Stocker is a LEFTIE. Good indication that he wants to nail goals when the opportunity presents.

and

(3) He made plenty of fans happy by staying back for photos and autographs, when others had packed it in and headed inside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settling in quite well by the looks of it. Laser kicking and the other boys know it, leading with confidence as Stocker hits them up.
3 things about Stocker at training I noticed....
(1) Spending a fair bit of time with Ed, which is a good sign for him learning midfield craft. I remember this was after a drill had finished and Stocker made a vee line for Ed to talk, before cantering to the middle for a drink.View attachment 606841
(2) Spent the last part of today's session on goal-kicking. Real smooth action and rarely missed from 40m, then I realised he was kicking them on his RIGHT. Pretty sure Stocker is a LEFTIE. Good indication that he wants to nail goals when the opportunity presents.

and

(3) He made plenty of fans happy by staying back for photos and autographs, when others had packed it in and headed inside.
Nah he is a right foot kick but very good with his left.

Stocker is a right footer but very good on both sides. Hits targets under pressure as good as any

Stocker still looks a little chunky to me, although he did look a little finer today than last week. is that even possible? :)
Unfortunately the good stuff was due to really get going and the rain spoiled the party.
Barker spent more time talking than acting and Bolton stepped in, to ...whatever he needed to do.

I always enjoy watching the stoppages but that didn't play out too long today, unfortunately.
All the usual group involved along with SPS, Cuningham and JSilvagni. Looked to me as though stocker was just about to get involved.....then rain. Pity.

BSOS still adjusting to AFL expectations (and a slippery ball). Just wanted to highlight LeBois, front and centre in this marking/crumbing drill...
P1018338.JPG

For anyone watching, he is right home when the ball drops from a forwards hands and he can see some daylight between the sticks.
sosos mentioned his pressure acts earlier in the training, but we got to see the crumbing ability that has extended LeBois's Carlton career into 2019.

As for Owies, whenever I saw him today he seemed to be in defense/tackling mode (designated defender). Works hard even though he is generally against someone taller/bigger. Really liked the fact he was getting extra disposal work, particularly his handballing, one-on-one.
P1018327.JPG
Thinks that all the decent photos of any worth.

A few observations to add to those from other track-watchers (though as I was minding a 9-month old it was tough to take much in):

- JSOS also spent some time down back in the full ground transition drills, along with Garlett. They seemed to be the designated exit kickers.

- BSOS looks a likely sort. Doubts have been on application, not talent. I saw both today. Lovely kick, safe hands, and in the defensive drills he was aggressive and made repeat efforts to pressure and tackle the ball carrier.

- Patty Kerr on the other hand, looked very flat-footed. Happy to corral rather than pressure, and allowed some easy handballs.

- Willo looked off the boil to me. Not surprising given his lack of continuity. Missed some simple targets by foot and was a little fumbly. Even if "fit", may need some time in the 2s to start the year.

- Agree with everything said about Walsh, he's ready. Biggest standout to me was his training intensity. Fumbled a couple of times that I saw but was quick to make amends.

- Loved watching Setters get some hangtime on the wing. No concerns with his knee, will just be a question of whether he can build the tank enough.

- Marchy and TDK covered a lot of ground. Heard TDK chatting with one of the trainers about his distance covered and how he felt, trainer was very happy with the numbers and reckoned TDK still seemed pretty fresh.

- Can't shake this feeling about Fasolo. Sharp and ripped. Joined the running group later in the session, but reckon he'll be in the frame for round one for sure.

- Owies is in great knick. Disposal needs plenty of work. Handballs and short kicking especially.

- Polson moving well, but saw a few instances of him handballing to a player under more pressure than he was. At one point he handballed it 2m to Murph who had a bloke literally bodying up on him.

- Lebois looked OK to me. But then, training form has never been his issue.

- Think Schuey must have spent most of his time on the other side of the ground. Saw him early in some simple handballing drills but then he disappeared.

- Finbar, while skinny, looks to have some wiry strength about him. Did some work at both ends of the ground, not sure the club has him pigeon-holed into a particular role just yet.

- Weiters looking strong. Maybe a little prone to taking the tackler on though in a few drills.

- Charles is in for a big year. Early drill had players receiving a handball while being pressured by a trainer. Most players in the group closest to me tried to push off the trainer. Charlie just threw him away and took the ball.

- Samo did some nice work by foot. Lovely weighting on his kicks. Fisher seemed a little off the pace today though, and I reckon his kicking may have lacked a little penetration compared to what I've come to expect from him.

- Cunners looks a treat. Cripps is a monster. Ed is one of our most valuable assets at training. Murphy was everywhere but I didn't hear him much compared to others. Thomas and Bugg playing with real intent. Harry spent a lot of time with the rucks and looked OK. Casboult was there.

Was an interesting session to watch. Heaps going on. Will hopefully get to another later in February.

A few observations to add to those from other track-watchers (though as I was minding a 9-month old it was tough to take much in):

- JSOS also spent some time down back in the full ground transition drills, along with Garlett. They seemed to be the designated exit kickers.

- BSOS looks a likely sort. Doubts have been on application, not talent. I saw both today. Lovely kick, safe hands, and in the defensive drills he was aggressive and made repeat efforts to pressure and tackle the ball carrier.

- Patty Kerr on the other hand, looked very flat-footed. Happy to corral rather than pressure, and allowed some easy handballs.

- Willo looked off the boil to me. Not surprising given his lack of continuity. Missed some simple targets by foot and was a little fumbly. Even if "fit", may need some time in the 2s to start the year.

- Agree with everything said about Walsh, he's ready. Biggest standout to me was his training intensity. Fumbled a couple of times that I saw but was quick to make amends.

- Loved watching Setters get some hangtime on the wing. No concerns with his knee, will just be a question of whether he can build the tank enough.

- Marchy and TDK covered a lot of ground. Heard TDK chatting with one of the trainers about his distance covered and how he felt, trainer was very happy with the numbers and reckoned TDK still seemed pretty fresh.

- Can't shake this feeling about Fasolo. Sharp and ripped. Joined the running group later in the session, but reckon he'll be in the frame for round one for sure.

- Owies is in great knick. Disposal needs plenty of work. Handballs and short kicking especially.

- Polson moving well, but saw a few instances of him handballing to a player under more pressure than he was. At one point he handballed it 2m to Murph who had a bloke literally bodying up on him.

- Lebois looked OK to me. But then, training form has never been his issue.

- Think Schuey must have spent most of his time on the other side of the ground. Saw him early in some simple handballing drills but then he disappeared.

- Finbar, while skinny, looks to have some wiry strength about him. Did some work at both ends of the ground, not sure the club has him pigeon-holed into a particular role just yet.

- Weiters looking strong. Maybe a little prone to taking the tackler on though in a few drills.

- Charles is in for a big year. Early drill had players receiving a handball while being pressured by a trainer. Most players in the group closest to me tried to push off the trainer. Charlie just threw him away and took the ball.

- Samo did some nice work by foot. Lovely weighting on his kicks. Fisher seemed a little off the pace today though, and I reckon his kicking may have lacked a little penetration compared to what I've come to expect from him.

- Cunners looks a treat. Cripps is a monster. Ed is one of our most valuable assets at training. Murphy was everywhere but I didn't hear him much compared to others. Thomas and Bugg playing with real intent. Harry spent a lot of time with the rucks and looked OK. Casboult was there.

Was an interesting session to watch. Heaps going on. Will hopefully get to another later in February.
What a cracking report!! All the while entertaining a 9-month old!! Next time Blue Balls I'll give you my camera as well. What can't you do????
Impressive effort, and with the rain interuptions.....Might get you miked up next time for a running commentary and video footage of the training.

Stocker still looks a little chunky to me, although he did look a little finer today than last week. is that even possible? :)
Unfortunately the good stuff was due to really get going and the rain spoiled the party.
Barker spent more time talking than acting and Bolton stepped in, to ...whatever he needed to do.

I always enjoy watching the stoppages but that didn't play out too long today, unfortunately.
All the usual group involved along with SPS, Cuningham and JSilvagni. Looked to me as though stocker was just about to get involved.....then rain. Pity.

Was definitely told to trim down and has been working hard. Apparently he has no fear and won’t give up.

Bits I have seen is he is good inside and creates. Great skills. Club is vey happy with him

I don’t think it will be long before we see him permanently in Navy Blue.

PS biggest issue with Cripps Kennedy Setterfield Walsh Dow & Stocker in the middle they may hurt each other

What a cracking report!! All the while entertaining a 9-month old!! Next time Blue Balls I'll give you my camera as well. What can't you do????
Impressive effort, and with the rain interuptions.....Might get you miked up next time for a running commentary and video footage of the training.

Happy to take the camera, but it might get slobbered on.

Had to leave a little early to get Miss home for lunch and a nap. One of those sessions where I caught a lot of little moments, but undoubtedly missed heaps as well.

Stocker does not look like a first year player at all, very mature body, you would think that when he does mature he's going to be a big powerful guy. His speed and kicking will certainly encourage the match committee to play him you would think. I guess for a guy like him it's going to come down to a lot about how well he can run out games. No doubt he will play games, it's just a matter of how many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back