Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all

Had a quick browse through her but can't find much discussion around Rankine, Lukosius and McLennan.
Is there anything to report on them?

I was very keen on McLennan last year and had him in my top ten.
We all know about the other two, but I can see McLennan surprising those that didn't watch him closely. You've got a good one there.

Hi all

Had a quick browse through her but can't find much discussion around Rankine, Lukosius and McLennan.
Is there anything to report on them?

I was very keen on McLennan last year and had him in my top ten.
We all know about the other two, but I can see McLennan surprising those that didn't watch him closely. You've got a good one there.
We haven't had much news either to be honest. Rankine made an impression on our NZ camp & Jez is living with Lauchie Weller and settling in nicely.
The draftee we have heard the most out of has been King - but I had actually forgotten we drafted Lukosius altogether

We haven't had much news either to be honest. Rankine made an impression on our NZ camp & Jez is living with Lauchie Weller and settling in nicely.
The draftee we have heard the most out of has been King - but I had actually forgotten we drafted Lukosius altogether

Thanks for the reply, but you forgot about Lukosius? You can't forget about Lukosius. :)

Guy runs with such ease and creates separation on opponents with ease. He won't cover for a Lynch from the get-go, but will create another element to the forward line in the future. Loved watching him through the champs last year.

Thanks for the reply, but you forgot about Lukosius? You can't forget about Lukosius. :)

Guy runs with such ease and creates separation on opponents with ease. He won't cover for a Lynch from the get-go, but will create another element to the forward line in the future. Loved watching him through the champs last year.
Now that you have reminded me I'm actually really stoked to see him play. There are so many new players making an impact in the preseason and ready to debut for the Suns this year - I guess I just lost Luko in the crowd of new names/faces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but there's a damn good reason for not forgetting those directions....lol! Dion might remember OK but the other 2 don't want to know, I would suspect.....

I would have thought Weller would have been the player that would be all over this with him coming to the club as a 17 year old, Do you remember why he was delisted from the suns ?

Geez mate, you're asking a lot from a bloke my age who can't remember what I had for brekky yesterday...

Even with Lachie here now, I don't think Mav was a chance to get an offer with one of those "supplementary picks" that we received from the AFL...

So maybe I shouldn't comment on the reasons as I'm not 100% sure, but someone else might chip in when they see this post.

I'm off to have another glass of red and wait for my wife to come home from work....nice chat. Cheers

I guess could have been like most guys, he struggled to break into the midfield. Bit odd to delist a 17 year old, but I suppose they had different priorities back then.

He was 21yr 7mths when de-listed.....

He made his debut against Western Bulldogs in round 3 of the 2011 season.[1] Weller also featured in the Gold Coast's first ever win over Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on 23 April 2011.[2]
Weller was delisted by the Suns on 2 September 2013 after playing just four games in the 2013 AFL season.

He was 21yr 7mths when de-listed.....

He made his debut against Western Bulldogs in round 3 of the 2011 season.[1] Weller also featured in the Gold Coast's first ever win over Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on 23 April 2011.[2]
Weller was delisted by the Suns on 2 September 2013 after playing just four games in the 2013 AFL season.

Cheers. Yeah, managing only a couple games in your last season in contract doesn't usually bode well, especially if TPTB think there are others ahead of you in the same role.
Forgive my ignorance, I'm kinda new to taking an interest in the suns, so I didn't realize.

Cheers. Yeah, managing only a couple games in your last season in contract doesn't usually bode well, especially if TPTB think there are others ahead of you in the same role.
Forgive my ignorance, I'm kinda new to taking an interest in the suns, so I didn't realize.

No probs Jen. I had to google the info myself.....I've also got a sneaking suspicion he was a bit of a FIGJAM as well, which didn't help his cause...

Does anyone see Will Powell playing significant senior footy this season? Does anyone know which group he has been training with so far this preseason?

(edit) I just checked, he played 7 AFL games last year... How on earth did that happen?

Does anyone see Will Powell playing significant senior footy this season? Does anyone know which group he has been training with so far this preseason?

(edit) I just checked, he played 7 AFL games last year... How on earth did that happen?
He does not train with midfield so has to be forward group. It looks like he worked hard on his body, also finished top 5 in 2 km trial. It would not surprise me if he gets regular games. I watched all his games. I like how he works hard, never gives up and for sure has some talent.

It looks like has had a very good pre-season and that experience last year would have been great for his development and preparation for year 2, so he will only get better.

His game time will depend on what happens to Martin and Ainsworth you would think. If those 2 are moving predominantly into the midfield/wing then there a forward spot open for him to win. Will probably be a few more pre-seasons before he really grows and hits his strides as was expected when we drafted. Should get games though. The talents there.

Powell was gifted games his form didn't really warrant in 2018, but his enthusiasm is infectious. Goober is similar on both counts. Every year we're told players will have to earn their spots. Let's see what unfolds this year, but I love watching those guys that just seem so grateful to be part of my club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back