FB: Qauynor, Dunn, Maynard
HB: Howe, Langdon, Crisp
C: Treloar, Pendles, Sidebottom
HF: Varcoe, Moore, WHE
FF: Stephenson, Cox, JDG
Foll: Grundy, Adams, Beams
I/C: Sier, Phillips, Mayne, Aish,

22-25 guys: Thomas, Appleby, Greenwood, Goldsack, Roughead
When healthy: Shaz, Elliot. (rotating Quaynor and Varcoe out of the 18).
Guys who I hope take the next step become best 22 guys this years: Murphy, Daicos, maybe Broomhead if healthy. (Callum Brown should be the "next guy" but just stuck behind too many other inside mids).
Guys I who think will play less than 5 more AFL games: Wells, Reid, likely Goldsack and maybe Greenwood. Murray (Pending ASADA - 1-2 years, still has an AFL future, 4 years - probably not)

I'm still convinced that our best lineup has Moore in the fwd line.
And I think we are struggling for a consistent lock down small defender, who also rebounds well. It's a high bar, Maynard could be one with more consistent defensive performances, and Appleby may become that guy with more games, but I would support the club giving IQ a chance straight away (depending on how he looks in preseason).

Last edited:
B: Maynard Moore Langdon
HB: Crisp Reid Howe
C: Sidebottom Pendlebury Treloar
HF: De Goey Mihocek Thomas
F: Hoskin-Elliott Cox Stephenson
R: Grundy Beams Adams
I/C from: Sier Elliott Varcoe Mayne Wells Sier Phillips

Guys who I hope take the next step become best 22 guys this years: Murphy, Daicos, maybe Broomhead if healthy. (Callum Brown should be the "next guy" but just stuck behind too many other inside mids).
Guys I who think will play less than 5 more AFL games: Wells, Reid, likely Goldsack and maybe Greenwood. Murray (Pending ASADA - 1-2 years, still has an AFL future, 4 years - probably not)

And I think we are struggling for a consistent lock down small defender, who also rebounds well. It's a high bar, Maynard could be one with more consistent defensive performances, and Appleby may become that guy with more games, but I would support the club giving IQ a chance straight away (depending on how he looks in preseason).
What more does Josh Thomas even need to do to become best 22 in your eyes?

38 goals 9th in best and fairest still not good enough for you?

What more does Josh Thomas even need to do to become best 22 in your eyes?

38 goals 9th in best and fairest still not good enough for you?

You could easily argue he replaces any of Mayne, Varcoe and Aish. No-one else on the last would drop below Thomas in my mind (other than Quaynor, obviously, but thats a completely different position)

But personally, I would take Varcoe and Mayne ahead of JT because they both provide elite effort both sides of the ball. Aish for me is based on a hunch. I just feel like he has the skills and ability to be a great decision maker and disposer of the footy through the midfield, but that he still seems to be getting used to the pace of AFL games, which may be due to not playing more than 15 games since his first year at Brisbane, and that he may be on the doorstep of a breakout season. I could easily be wrong though, and maybe he's destined to just be a "good VFL, decent AFL" type of guy.

Thomas had a great 2019, and deserves all the plaudits that come his way, and I'm glad he got 9th in the Copeland. He was probably our main crumbing threat all year, who seemed to pop up out of nowhere in a contest. But I feel like he (probably along with Stephenson) benefited greatly from our style of play and dominance elsewhere, and I wouldn't bet on him to have the same type of output in 2019. (It's the same reason I haven't listed Mihocek anywhere near my 22 going into 2019).

But if you want to replace him for any of those 3 guys (or Quaynor) - go ahead, I wouldn't argue strongly against it.

Last edited:
You could easily argue he replaces any of Mayne, Varcoe and Aish. No-one else on the last would drop below Thomas in my mind (other than Quaynor, obviously, but thats a completely different position)

But personally, I would take Varcoe and Mayne ahead of JT because they both provide elite effort both sides of the ball. Aish for me is based on a hunch. I just feel like he has the skills and ability to be a great decision maker and disposer of the footy through the midfield, but that he still seems to be getting used to the pace of AFL games, which may be due to not playing more than 15 games since his first year at Brisbane, and that he may be on the doorstep of a breakout season. I could easily be wrong though, and maybe he's destined to just be a "good VFL, decent AFL" type of guy.

Thomas had a great 2019, and deserves all the plaudits that come his way, and I'm glad he got 9th in the Copeland. He was probably our main crumbing threat all year, who seemed to pop up out of nowhere in a contest. But I feel like he (probably along with Stephenson) benefited greatly from our style of play and dominance elsewhere, and I wouldn't bet on him to have the same type of output in 2019. (It's the same reason I haven't listed Mihocek anywhere near my 22 going into 2019).

But if you want to replace him for any of those 3 guys (or Quaynor) - go ahead, I wouldn't argue strongly against it.
Look I still can't get over the fact that you had Aish ahead of Thomas in our best 22 lol

Round 1

will Elliott be ready?
will Dunn be ready?

They seem the two of most round 1 intrigue.
Suspect Dunn might be close but not quite ready.

Lots of depth in our squad.

Don't think that Langdon is a natural key position defender.
Look I don’t mind Langdon playing that 2nd KPD against some teams with a KPF lineup, think Langdon’s Versatility will be quite valuable to us.

But it is exactly for this reason why I think Langdon should start on the bench and replace whoever needs a rest, as Langdon can matchup fine against most types of players.

My best 22:

Assuming Dunn and sharenberg are unavailable.

FB: Brayden Maynard ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Isaac Quaynor
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jeremy Howe
C: Steele Sidebottom ~ Taylor Adams ~ Scott Pendlebury
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliot ~ Mason Cox ~ Travis Varcoe
FF: Josh Thomas ~ Jordan De Goey ~ Jaidyn Stephenson
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Adam Treloar ~ Dayne Beams
Int: Tom Langdon ~ Brayden Sier ~ Tom Phillips ~ Chris Mayne

Langdon rotates with back 6.
Sier rotates with Adams, Beams and Treloar.
Phillips rotates with sidebottom and Pendlebury.
Mayne rotates with the front 6.

Elliot doesn’t make best 22 because we have enough fire power up forward and need a role player to support others.

Mihocek doesn’t make best 22 because with the new 6-6-6 rule the forward line could become very crowded and with so many of our forwards relying on marking they could well interfere with each other. We have 2 marking focal point with this lineup: Cox and De Goey, give them the space they need to play their natural game.

Mayne, Varcoe, Stephenson are all high pressure players which is great.

You really mustn't rate Mihocek

No and no. Neither have joined full training yet and both will need VFL games to get form and fitness back
As Louis Jourdan’s Kamal Khan said to Maud Adams’ Octopussy:

A no from you, usually has very little chance of becoming a yes...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if Quaynor comes in, i think it will be either mayne or thomas that come out - low chance of this happening. Unlikely Mihocek isnt in the team, he's form was very solid last year.

My best 22:

Assuming Dunn and sharenberg are unavailable.

FB: Brayden Maynard ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Isaac Quaynor
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jeremy Howe
C: Steele Sidebottom ~ Taylor Adams ~ Scott Pendlebury
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliot ~ Mason Cox ~ Travis Varcoe
FF: Josh Thomas ~ Jordan De Goey ~ Jaidyn Stephenson
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Adam Treloar ~ Dayne Beams
Int: Tom Langdon ~ Brayden Sier ~ Tom Phillips ~ Chris Mayne

Langdon rotates with back 6.
Sier rotates with Adams, Beams and Treloar.
Phillips rotates with sidebottom and Pendlebury.
Mayne rotates with the front 6.

Elliot doesn’t make best 22 because we have enough fire power up forward and need a role player to support others.

Mihocek doesn’t make best 22 because with the new 6-6-6 rule the forward line could become very crowded and with so many of our forwards relying on marking they could well interfere with each other. We have 2 marking focal point with this lineup: Cox and De Goey, give them the space they need to play their natural game.

Mayne, Varcoe, Stephenson are all high pressure players which is great.

What are the odds of this game being a sell out ?

I might flight down from Canberra - cheaper to book flights now - but will there be a public release?

Mihocek was something of a revelation last season.

Must admit I did not see that coming.

He played like he belonged.

We are going to be quite strong (and good) if Mihocek is not getting games.

Nice problem to have :)

Mihocek was something of a revelation last season.

Must admit I did not see that coming.

He played like he belonged.

We are going to be quite strong (and good) if Mihocek is not getting games.

Nice problem to have :)
Honestly he 100% deserves a game at most clubs. However i just think every forward line needs a balance between role/pressure players and star goal kicking forwards. It's more that I think Cox at CHF and De Goey at FF is the most idyllic setup than anything. Roughhead is there to rotate through FB and ruck. However, if Roughhead doesn't even line-up round 1, perhaps Mihocek would be useful in holding down CHF while Cox goes into the rucks.

You really mustn't rate Mihocek

I rate him as a good, decent, player - but not as highly as his 2018 goals tally might suggest. And I touched on it a little in a followup post about Thomas.

Our overall structures and set up worked very well for most of last year, and although there's a large element of Chicken-vs-Egg, it meant that certain players looked better in positions than you would otherwisr expect (eg. Langdon and Howe as KPD's), and our goal tallys may look inflated by the amount of "over the top" goals from us overrunning teams back into our fwd 50.

Mihocek has now basically garaunteed himself an ongoing AFL career. But in an ideal world, I just don't see him close to our healthy 22.

But - every squad needs players like this, and given how injury prone our KPP's are, he is more than adequate depth who will get plenty of games in that role (and continue to do a more than decent job at it).

Last edited:
Thomas way ahead of Aish or Mayne. Even Varcoe. Neither are big goal kickers, Thomas is.

Well Thomas had a Good Season but I felt he was Poor in Finals and Aish and Mayne had better Finals Campaigns

No and no. Neither have joined full training yet and both will need VFL games to get form and fitness back

I’ll take that bet. If both get through the pre-season and play at least 6 quarters of footy in the build up they’ll be in. No way will they have them playing in the pre-season only to be left out to build fitness in VFL practice matches...

Why would they need vfl matches when we are still in preseason, no one has any real form yet

I'm putting this together more with Rd 1 in mind, but this was quite a challenging task.

FB: Maynard, B.; Moore, D.; Crisp, J.
HB: Langdon, T.; Goldsack, T.; Howe, J.
C: Sidebottom, S.; Adams, T.; Pendlebury, S.
HF: Hoskin-Elliot, W.; De Goey, J.; Travis Varcoe
FF: Thomas, J.; Cox, M; Stephenson, J.
R: Grundy, B.; Treloar, A.; Beams, D.
Int: Sier, B.; Phillips, T.; Mayne, C.; Quaynor, I.

Immediately, I feel foolish for not having Mihocek in the side, particularly when I'm proposing we blood a new player on opening night. However I just felt that one of our best qualities up forward last year was being unpredictable and dynamic. I think JDG occupying the modern interpretation of the CHF role, as both a target and a playmaker feels like a neater fit with what we are trying to achieve as opposed to what Mihocek provides. I'm also opting to start with Goldy at CHB because I felt like his presence galvanized the back 6 when the whips were cracking and we might need his presence in the early weeks of the season (Geelong, Richmond, West Coast).

I think eventually guys like Murphy, Aish, Greenwood, Brown and Daicos will push for places early in the side. Roughead is also a chance to play early depending on needs. I worry that the game has gone past guys like Wells and Elliott... their level of skill might make us a better looking side on paper, but its been a long time since either of those lads stayed healthy enough to string a few games together and I wonder how they'll fit back in.

I'm putting this together more with Rd 1 in mind, but this was quite a challenging task.

FB: Maynard, B.; Moore, D.; Crisp, J.
HB: Langdon, T.; Goldsack, T.; Howe, J.
C: Sidebottom, S.; Adams, T.; Pendlebury, S.
HF: Hoskin-Elliot, W.; De Goey, J.; Travis Varcoe
FF: Thomas, J.; Cox, M; Stephenson, J.
R: Grundy, B.; Treloar, A.; Beams, D.
Int: Sier, B.; Phillips, T.; Mayne, C.; Quaynor, I.

Immediately, I feel foolish for not having Mihocek in the side, particularly when I'm proposing we blood a new player on opening night. However I just felt that one of our best qualities up forward last year was being unpredictable and dynamic. I think JDG occupying the modern interpretation of the CHF role, as both a target and a playmaker feels like a neater fit with what we are trying to achieve as opposed to what Mihocek provides. I'm also opting to start with Goldy at CHB because I felt like his presence galvanized the back 6 when the whips were cracking and we might need his presence in the early weeks of the season (Geelong, Richmond, West Coast).

I think eventually guys like Murphy, Aish, Greenwood, Brown and Daicos will push for places early in the side. Roughead is also a chance to play early depending on needs. I worry that the game has gone past guys like Wells and Elliott... their level of skill might make us a better looking side on paper, but its been a long time since either of those lads stayed healthy enough to string a few games together and I wonder how they'll fit back in.
Interesting thoughts.

I’d only really comment on Goldsack at the key defensive position that you have.
To me, if Goldsack is there, then we’ve been struck by too many injuries.
Just can’t see him ahead of a fully functional, Reid and Roughead would be considered for a key back with Moore before a makeshift player.

Interesting thoughts.

Interesting thoughts.

I’d only really comment on Goldsack at the key defensive position that you have.
Just can’t see him ahead of a fully functional, Reid and Roughead would be considered for a key back with Moore before a makeshift player.

Interesting thoughts.

I'd have Goldsack ahead of Reid and Roughead. Reid lacks the foot speed he once had needs in defence. Unless that was ongoing niggles slowing him down and he's now fit. Goldsack still has his pace at least. Roughead was never that good in defence. I'm crossing my fingers Dunn is back as be's ahead of the lot.

Interesting thoughts.

Interesting thoughts.

My worry with Reid is how he fits within the team defense that we have built. Does he have the speed to get to the contest? Does he have the ability to put pressure on the ball carrier? Or does the equation change a little bit with the new netball rules for centre bounces.. it could give Reid a little longer with the potential for more static, one on one contests in the back third.

I hope we haven't seen the last of Reid, but I really wonder if he fits into the best version of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back