WBBL|04 Season 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not running the single on the dropped catch has cost the renegades
Molineux wouldn’t have been on strike at the beginning of the final over. It was a smart move and an amazing piece of fielding on the final ball cost the Renegades.

The Sydney Sixers WBBL team made the WBBL final? Could have seen that coming before a ball was bowled in the tournament. All feels a little predictable and it would have been nice to them miss out.

Well I wasn't able to react on here in real-time but reading back through it all now, you guys did a fine job of summing up the afternoon's excitement and decisive factors (and the bonus level of eeriness too).

Mixed emotions for me because the Gades in a grand final without 3-4 of their best players would suck, so I was initially just hoping for them to not get blown away today. Those finishes will always amplify the disappointment when a team gives it their all and just lack a little polish at crucial moments.

Few days and pages back I noted how Danni Wyatt's excellent fielding on the boundary probably sealed the finals spot for the Renegades, so of course Erin Burns equals (if not betters) it with her own effort and effectively knocks Melbourne out. Such is cricket.

The Sydney Sixers WBBL team made the WBBL final? Could have seen that coming before a ball was bowled in the tournament. All feels a little predictable and it would have been nice to them miss out.
But at the same time, take what you can get. I know I'd have jumped at a Sixers vs not Thunder/Scorchers final if it was offered at the beginning of the season, and that's without even knowing the topsy-turvy fashion in which it would eventuate. Brisbane are more than a handful so if we see the best of both teams on Saturday then I'll be satisfied.

Surprised to see Drummoyne used for the final, kinda blows away any theories I had about the semifinal venue choice. But I do like the Australia Day scheduling.

On a related note, does anybody have an opinion about the season structure of WBBL05? Here’s what we know:
  • 2019-20 tournament taking place from October to November (maybe early December) and finishing before the men’s season starts
  • CA interested in ticketed events, already trialled for some Sydney games this season as well as finals
  • '18/'19 Australian women’s cricket summer began on AFL Grand Final night with T20I at North Sydney
  • 23 of 59 matches broadcast live on TV for WBBL04
  • Direct quote from Kim McConnie at this year’s launch: "T20 has been built to be short and sharp - our feedback suggests double-headers are too long for viewers"
  • W/BBL making use of both metropolitan and regional venues
  • Brisbane Heat had just three standalone home games this season, two at Mackay (Saturday night drew a single-header record crowd of 5,650 while the next afternoon drew 2,563) and one at Cairns (another Saturday night which 4,673 people turned up for)
  • Term 3 school holidays go from Sep 28 to Oct 13, except VIC and QLD are a week early
  • All AFLW games, starting with 38 in 2019, to be broadcast live on TV for the next four years
Hopefully CA take a less-is-more approach, scale it back to 7 matches for each team and just focus on playing them nonconcurrently at timeslots that will maximise attendance and viewership (get them all on television too, I reckon). 4 games every weekend would do me just fine. But to ensure a better chance of avoiding clashes with other cricket, such as women’s internationals and men’s home tests, they could pack it a bit tighter like this:
WBBL05fixture_zpswg0l25zd.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back