Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you mean the guy who rates Sidebottom, Sloane, Beams, Shuey, Breast, Nic Nat, Lynch, Davis, Walters and Hannebery above Hurley? Not to mention Stephen Hill and Liam Picken. Which of the top 10 is he genuinely above besides Hammers who has suffered from injury issues the last few seasons?
Best debate on the 08 thread but Hurley has had a couple of outstanding years where apart from Rance was premier key back. He is top 5 for me.

Wow... first of all the Tom Lynch of the ‘08 draft is the Adelaide Tom Lynch, which obviously sums up your knowledge of this draft. Or do you honestly rate Adelaide Lynch higher than Hurley?

I would rate Hurley well above all you listed bar Sidebottom, Sloane, Beams and Naitanui with which I would put him somewhere in the middle of that bunch. I don’t think that is Essendon bias, I’m pretty sure most would agree he is top 5 of that draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure about Naitanui but all of Breust Shuey and Hannebury have had far more impact to their respective clubs than Hurley has. No-way would people choose Hurley over Breust or Hannebury in their prime and Shuey has been very consistent over the years. By the time they retire if Hannebury remains to underperform and Hurley sustains his form maybe Hurley overtakes Hannebury but that's it.

Although, not top 5 I certainly agree but outside top 10 is quite a stretch.

Not sure about Naitanui but all of Breust Shuey and Hannebury have had far more impact to their respective clubs than Hurley has. No-way would people choose Hurley over Breust or Hannebury in their prime and Shuey has been very consistent over the years. By the time they retire if Hannebury remains to underperform and Hurley sustains his form maybe Hurley overtakes Hannebury but that's it.

Far more impact...

He’s been AA in a bottom four side and a top 8 side, put him in a successful team and he’d probably have killed it too. Can’t say the same for the others who have struggled when their teams haven’t been top four.

Do you mean the guy who rates Sidebottom, Sloane, Beams, Shuey, Breast, Nic Nat, Lynch, Davis, Walters and Hannebery above Hurley? Not to mention Stephen Hill and Liam Picken. Which of the top 10 is he genuinely above besides Hammers who has suffered from injury issues the last few seasons?

C'mon Picken? How can you be so biased?

You have Cordy top 5 in this draft. An argument could me made that he's not even a top 5 KPD in this draft. He's not clearly better than any of

Andrews, Marchbank, Moore, Lever, Howard or Melican.

You have Cordy top 5 in this draft. An argument could me made that he's not even a top 5 KPD in this draft. He's not clearly better than any of

I think people are entitled to back their team and players and they should. It's when you go to great lengths to deny it that it's silly. One of the justifications for Cordy is he played in the 2016 flag side FFS.

To get the thread back on track, here's my draft order:
  1. Jordan De Goey
  2. Harris Andrews
  3. Isaac Heeney
  4. Angus Brayshaw
  5. Zaine Cordy
  6. Touk Miller
  7. Kane Lambert
  8. Toby McLean
  9. Jake Lever
  10. Lachie Weller
  11. Liam Duggan
  12. Connor Blakely
  13. Christian Petracca
  14. Mitch McGovern
  15. Caleb Daniel
  16. Ed Langdon
  17. Paul Ahern
  18. Billy Gowers
  19. Dan Butler
  20. Braydon Preuss
Duggan and others ahead of Petracca ? Preuss in the top 20 ? Cordy top 5 let alone top 20 ? No Marchbank ? No Steele ? No Maynard ? No Neal-Bullen ? No Short ? No McKenna ?

This is a horrible list.

I'd remove those in bold. Btw, I like Ahern, but his body of work is not yet top 20.

Last edited:

Oscar McDonald has been better than Cordy too.

I think you’re severely undervaluing KPPs. Hurley is a top 5 KD in the league, that is worth a top 5 pick in any draft. Also Naitanui injury free would be #1 in this draft, no question. Up there with Dean Cox as one of the best match winning rucks of the last 20 years.

Would have been interesting if Melbourne drafted him instead of Watts what they would have done with he and Gawn.

I think you’re severely undervaluing KPPs. Hurley is a top 5 KD in the league, that is worth a top 5 pick in any draft. Also Naitanui injury free would be #1 in this draft, no question. Up there with Dean Cox as one of the best match winning rucks of the last 20 years.

Would have been interesting if Melbourne drafted him instead of Watts what they would have done with he and Gawn.
Firstly, if we drafted Naitanui we probably wouldn't have drafted Gawn the following year.

And secondly, we were a terribly run football club, so I doubt Naitanui would have stayed.

Firstly, if we drafted Naitanui we probably wouldn't have drafted Gawn the following year.

And secondly, we were a terribly run football club, so I doubt Naitanui would have stayed.

True, either way it’s an interesting sliding doors moment. Things could have been very different. Either way you seem to be on track now!

You can't genuinely think any of those guys bar Andrews is above Cordy? Just shows how little of the dogs you watch but ok

Duggan and others ahead of Petracca ? Preuss in the top 20 ? Cordy top 5 let alone top 20 ? No Marchbank ? No Steele ? No Maynard ? No Neal-Bullen ? No Short ? No McKenna ?

This is a horrible list.

I'd remove those in bold. Btw, I like Ahern, but his body of work is not yet top 20.
Petracca is all hype right now, with very little body of work to base it on. Of the ones you listed, maybe Short and McKenna could be higher, but big no to the others. As I explained in a previous post, this is partially based on potential, which is why Cordy is top 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca is all hype right now, with very little body of work to base it on. Of the ones you listed, maybe Short and McKenna could be higher, but big no to the others. As I explained in a previous post, this is partially based on potential, which is why Cordy is top 5
You must have based the rest on dreams and ketamine because that's the only way you could rank a bog average defender like Cordy ahead of Petracca, or an actually good defender like Lever.

You're clearly not a poster whose views should be taken seriously.

You can't genuinely think any of those guys bar Andrews is above Cordy? Just shows how little of the dogs you watch but ok

The fact that you think Cordy is above blokes like Lever and Howard shows how little you watch outside Dogs games. Dougal Howard led the league for 230 one percenters last year, the 4th most ever in a season.

Melbourne gave up 2 1sts rounders for Lever. Cordys trade value sits somewhere around an early 2nd.

Whilst there's an element to truth to this when assessing him versus the entire comp, not the case to his draft class and I'm not exactly a Petracca fanboy.

He still averages 20 with a goal a game, he's also top 15 in the league for goal assists.

If it's partially based on potential, how can you seriously have Duggan, Lambert (A guy who is 27 years old) and Weller above him? Petracca is already averaging better numbers than nearly all of them and his scope for potential is obviously much greater as well.

Pretty much everything you've written in the last few pages is completely hypocritical.

Whilst there's an element to truth to this when assessing him versus the entire comp, not the case to his draft class and I'm not exactly a Petracca fanboy.

He still averages 20 with a goal a game, he's also top 15 in the league for goal assists.

If it's partially based on potential, how can you seriously have Duggan, Lambert (A guy who is 27 years old) and Weller above him? Petracca is already averaging better numbers than nearly all of them and his scope for potential is obviously much greater as well.

Pretty much everything you've written in the last few pages is completely hypocritical.
I rate Duggan and Weller higher than Petracca, it was as simple as that. And Lambert made the All Australian squad this year, and was easily one of Richmond's best and least recognized players for 2018, so for him I put him there on performance.

Honestly, probably would have been better if I made two lists - 1 for actual output, and 1 for speculating. Instead I combined them and have people going nuts at me for daring to have a different opinion

Honestly, probably would have been better if I made two lists - 1 for actual output, and 1 for speculating. Instead I combined them and have people going nuts at me for daring to have a different opinion

I’m all for having an opinion but you’ve gotta cop some flak if your list is that far off the mark

I rate Duggan and Weller higher than Petracca, it was as simple as that. And Lambert made the All Australian squad this year, and was easily one of Richmond's best and least recognized players for 2018, so for him I put him there on performance.

On what basis? The vibe, marbo etc....?

Because it can't be anything with a statistical basis.

On what basis? The vibe, marbo etc....?

Because it can't be anything with a statistical basis.
If we are only going on statistical output in their early days, Sam Powell-Pepper will be the best of the 2016 draft, and should be easily top 3 in all re-drafts, because he had a better first year. Except in reality, all of Witherden, Logue, Venables, Marshall, English, Hayward, Darcy, Ratugolea, Young, Rioli, Graham, Ryan and Waterman could end up better players, but just take longer to hit their stride.

Some players take longer to peak, and others provide value outside of the usual "kick ball to team mate and through the big sticks". Duggan is rated as a potential future captain at West Coast, while Weller has proven to be very quick and agile which is a trait I rate extremely high in the modern game (probably higher than most would). I understand why some might rate Petracca higher, but I don't mainly for the reasons I listed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back