Ferguson (deserves the title shot)
Poirer (maybe, would be a rematch)
Iaquinta (probably the most logical)
Kevin Lee (just lost to Iaquinta)
Barboza (probably not)
Gatheje (probably not)
Pettis
Cerrone

If he’s gonna fight anyone ranked lower than iaquinta it’s gotta be a draw fight which makes it Pettis or Cerrone (Cerrone is the bigger draw and easier sell).

Based on that it’s gotta be Poirer, Iaquinta or Cerrone.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
I don’t think he would, Cowboy is an entertainer almost before he is a fighter. I think he would stand and trade and if somehow Conor fell over or got knocked down he might take the opportunity

I read an interview he did a while back (which I can no longer find) when he seemingly missed out on the fight where he said he would have definitely wrestled with Conor.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not convinced Khabib will be allowed to fight anywhere in USA soon. Hence suspect McGregor v Ferguson makes more sense for both fighters and UFC business. McGregor is likely to fight sooner.
Fair points.

I expect Khabib to get either 9 or 12 months, because he said that’s likely. That is backdated from October 6 though. Should be able to fight end of the year, possible for MSG in Nov.

Ferguson should wait for that.

McGregor can fight someone else.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I read an interview he did a while back (which I can no longer find) when he seemingly missed out on the fight where he said he would have definitely wrestled with Conor.

I doubt he sticks to that once he’s in the cage and Conor has talked s**t for 8 weeks in he build up but I take your point

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I doubt he sticks to that once he’s in the cage and Conor has talked s**t for 8 weeks in he build up but I take your point

Exactly.
Cerrone saying he wants to fight for the title before he retires. He will fight whatever tactic gives him the best chance at winning this fight. Standing and throwing definitely isn’t the smartest option against McGregor.

Back