Private Schools

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
You’ve come a long way from being the wide eyed young man who came to Melbs to broaden his horizons.

Why do you differentiate yourself as a high school that streams people into building, electrician training and plumbing, oh and open a “sports academy”?

Because you suck at teaching maths, science and English. And have done forever.

Many of my neighbours are builders and sparkies. Great people that make a great living. My son has not interests in the trades and wants to study in the STEM field.
And private schools produce internet moderators!

TJASTA

❄︎□︎⌧︎♓︎♍︎ 👌︎◆︎●︎●︎⍓︎
Sep 3, 2016
Jack Graham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Furies
In my short-term observation, private schools don't make better students. I went to some of the worst and most disadvantage schools in Victoria and got a decent ATAR (somewhere in the 60's I think). Since going to uni, I have been receiving A average and have a good chance to get into my prefer course. On the other hand, one of my classmates later went to one of the private schools in the state and got a much better ATAR compare to me. She dropped out of uni half-way through her first semester. I don't think it's a factor tbh.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
In terms of education and ATARs as in progressing to the next stage of your life I reckon Private Schools are a waste of money.

What is more important is a good learning environment, supportive staff and peers and a cohesive environment where someone can meet their goals. 16-18 young people have a lot going on. Relationship development, finding their place in the world, everyday stuff like learning to drive/pay bills and finding an aptitude for something they enjoy/are good at and can make a living off.

Private schools potentially can add more stress to what is already a very stressful time. Granted students have a right to learn away from any "undesirable influences" but going full English Public system ain't really the answer.

There are some top public schools in WA like Rossmoyne, Perth Modern, Shenton etc but there are some public schools where sending kids there is akin to child abuse.

Sadly though the correlation between s**t schools, s**t suburbs and s**t parents is high. The answer isn't more money but proper engagement between the schools and parents to ensure the parents know how to prepare their kid for success. Starting with providing 3 healthy meals a day, encouraging extra curriculum activities and setting schedules for study.

The only difference between the top schools and the bottom schools is, there are a higher % of caring and skilled parents. That's why I advocate schools engaging with and teaching parents.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
In my short-term observation, private schools don't make better students. I went to some of the worst and most disadvantage schools in Victoria and got a decent ATAR (somewhere in the 60's I think). Since going to uni, I have been receiving A average and have a good chance to get into my prefer course. On the other hand, one of my classmates later went to one of the private schools in the state and got a much better ATAR compare to me. She dropped out of uni half-way through her first semester. I don't think it's a factor tbh.
How do you know that she doesn’t own a multi-million dollar business while you’re training to be someone else’s slave?

TJASTA

❄︎□︎⌧︎♓︎♍︎ 👌︎◆︎●︎●︎⍓︎
Sep 3, 2016
Jack Graham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Furies
How do you know that she doesn’t own a multi-million dollar business while you’re training to be someone else’s slave?
Well since she is working full time at the IGA, I would assume not.

But they do allow students a chance to thrive in a more supportive environment than what's available in a public school, particularly if the local public school options are crap. I also went to a public school, had a very easy time doing the set coursework, ended up with an ATAR in the 90's and struggled in my first two years of university because I'd never been faced with work that I had to study to understand before. I have no doubt that if I was sent to private school with a better curriculum, I would have learned to study well before I finished high school. The standard public school curriculum is very much aimed at the average student, ones who fall above and below the baseline end up falling through the cracks because there aren't enough (or good enough) teachers in the public system to identify these students and get them the help they need.

With all the drama over schools funding recently, got me thinking. I'd be all for the extra money for private schools if it produced better students. But it seems a worldwide trend that private school kids do no better at school compared to public school kids of similar socioeconomic backgrounds and generally perform worse at Universities.
So why do parents and givernments waste money on private schooling?
Because you make better contacts at private schools that benefit you and your kids down the line

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Because you make better contacts at private schools that benefit you and your kids down the line
Is that a real thing that's been studied in Australia, or just one of those myths peddled by private school proponents? I know it genuinely exists in England, but for men only. Although maybe it explains he relative under performance at uni. They know mummy and daddy's rich friends will bail them out at some stage?

Is that a real thing that's been studied in Australia, or just one of those myths peddled by private school proponents? I know it genuinely exists in England, but for men only. Although maybe it explains he relative under performance at uni. They know mummy and daddy's rich friends will bail them out at some stage?

Not a 100% sure tbh.

I went to a catholic school so not really private and not public.

But in my experiences, young adults from a wealthy family have pretty good jobs or at least jobs in highly sought after businesses, surely it can't be a coincidence. Especially when some don't even seem that intelligent

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

You sound like my father-in-law, it's all about the academic results for him, it's not for me. They're important but they're not the be all and end all.

TJASTA

❄︎□︎⌧︎♓︎♍︎ 👌︎◆︎●︎●︎⍓︎
Sep 3, 2016
Jack Graham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Furies
You sound like my father-in-law, it's all about the academic results for him, it's not for me. They're important but they're not the be all and end all.
That's very true, but the main argument that I hear for private schools is they "produce better students" where they don't necessarily.

I think private schools produce excellent students that achieve later in life. Public schools also produce excellent students who achieve later in life.

The thing that shits me about this debate are people (who i know) who s**t in private schools as they went public. They have no experience in private and just ride the stereotypes. Roll out the "i went to public, there's nothing wrong with me". But then are putting their kids into catholic school. If there's nothing wrong with public, why not send them there?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
If you want to raise a normal, well adjusted kid and give them every opportunity to succeed on their own merits then move to a good area and send them to a top public school. If you want the above but are prepared to instill entitlement and water down own merits to the value of badge prestige then send them to a top private school. If you want them to be indoctrinated, possibly touched up and given an education on par with what you can get in the public system then send them to a Catholic school. If you want to throw them in the deep end and run with the 'good kids will be good anywhere' thing while risking meth addiction and a life of crime then send them to a public school in a s**t area.

Aug 31, 2012
Pining for the fjords
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
******* stupid game
Many reasons such as:
- The belief that they handle discipline a lot better than public schooling.

That one, at least, is true. I nearly laughed out load the time little Miss NB complained about getting a detention for not doing her homework. If she'd been at the local high school, she'd probably have been offered counseling.

Private schools also sack dud teachers and get in better ones. The spud who couldn't control her Year Nine English class barely lasted a term before being given the boot. She's probably now teaching at Crystal Meth High dodging spitballs.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Private schools also sack dud teachers and get in better ones. The spud who couldn't control her Year Nine English class barely lasted a term before being given the boot. She's probably now teaching at Crystal Meth High dodging spitballs.

Attracting the best teachers with better remuneration isn't a big issue, and if you're paying $25k a year per kid you'd hope that the school is on top of who they are employing.

The problem with the public system is how you manage the concentration of 'spud' teachers. Just like people want to work at good private schools in nice areas, they want the same in the public schools. If all the good teachers go to the better schools in the nice areas then you end up with the worst ones filling the jobs no one wants at the s**t schools with the s**t kids and the cycle repeats.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol. Imagine if you took the entire staff of Scotch College and swapped them with the entire staff at Pakenham Secondary College. The Scotch teachers would have a breakdown and quit after a week. I'd say a public school teacher would have many more tricks in their bag to control a class.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
My wife went to private school and I went to public school. I never considered there to be any difference until I met all her school friends when I was about 25. The majority of them run their own businesses all thanks to their families money. Was the first time I considered there to be a legitimate, measurable difference between our upbringings. Not between her and I necessarily. She certainly went on more family holidays overseas, but aside from that we have similar intellect, views on the world etc that didn't appear to suggest a big difference in how we were educated.
Those 'friends' however, fit a very private school stereotype. Was asked if I wanted cocaine at my first dinner party with them. Have heard subsequent stories of private buses for social functions so they could all partake in it. An air of arrogance that I had never encountered with anyone from my public school. Also a heightened sense of entitlement. From that group of about 8, only 2 still talk to my wife and it's been pretty shitty to watch that group slowly remove her (and us) over the years without a real basis for it. The arrogance really stands out from this.
Of course this isn't to suggest all private school educated people are capable of being annoying, entitled little lunatics. My wife certainly isn't. But this whole group really painted a rather sad and exclusive picture for me of the worst of wealth. At the end of the day, manners cost zero. Same with honesty. Those are two qualities these people can't seen to afford.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol. Imagine if you took the entire staff of Scotch College and swapped them with the entire staff at Pakenham Secondary College. The Scotch teachers would have a breakdown and quit after a week. I'd say a public school teacher would have many more tricks in their bag to control a class.

They may not need those tricks to control the class in the private sector. The private schools tend to actually have consequences for s**t behaviour.

They get expelled and the public schools have to accept them.

I'm confident I could physically dominate anyone who went to a private school. Generally much more weak and feminine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back