Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Third time rehab is a charm???

Quite possibly a reason why he hasn't come back in great shape. It must be pretty tough spending year after year in the rehab room away from your team mates, friends and family. It must be a lonely place. I'm sure it's not how he envisaged his career and heading home at the end of the season maybe he needs a total break to get his head right?

Just speculating but not everyone has the drive and commitment or mental strength of a Cripps or Doch. I really hope Pickett can come back and get a clean run at it - he has a set of skills we really need and could do with some good luck on the injury front.

Definitely on his last chance now though.

I couldn’t care less about the AFLPA mandates. He’s paid very healthily to play a sport and if he doesn’t stick by team rules he’s gone. I do not see Pickett getting a gig at Carlton in 2020. Nor will he be playing afl at any other club. He’s done. If he turns it around I’ll be happy to eat my words. He’s only really got himself to blame for all his injuries. Being under prepared in a professional space is bound to put undue pressure on parts of the body and risk injury exposure. Wasted talent. There’s plenty that’s come and gone and he won’t be the last.

Re: Pickett I don’t know what’s happened before but I’m sure Pickett was told it was his last chance when he came back unfit last time. That’s why he was separated from the main group.

Injury is disappointing but I’m sure he will need to keep improving his fitness while in rehab or he will be gone at years end

IMO that’s the way it should be from now on regardless. They way he returned shouldn’t be tolerated.
Yep!!! The days of getting a game just for turning up are hopefully long gone.
It's great to have some depth so our boys work their arse off at training etc..

Re: Pickett I don’t know what’s happened before but I’m sure Pickett was told it was his last chance when he came back unfit last time. That’s why he was separated from the main group.

Injury is disappointing but I’m sure he will need to keep improving his fitness while in rehab or he will be gone at years end

IMO that’s the way it should be from now on regardless. They way he returned shouldn’t be tolerated.
Jaksch
Whiley
Sumner
Tutt
Smedts
Palmer

and many many more

some didnt even try and some with other aspirations,some tried and got injured....some lacked ability

we lead the competition by miles in C grade turnovers was the resultant......

this is where it has been at

Remember-nothing good leaves,we hit draft hard,train harder.....and we take in a couple elites the next year

Kelly [GWS]elite run and spread....we pay we get

Jaksch
Whiley
Sumner
Tutt
Smedts
Palmer

and many many more

some didnt even try and some with other aspirations,some tried and got injured....some lacked ability

we lead the competition by miles in C grade turnovers was the resultant......

this is where it has been at

Remember-nothing good leaves,we hit draft hard,train harder.....and we take in a couple elites the next year

Kelly [GWS]elite run and spread....we pay we get

The only one now that seems to struggle is Pickett. I don’t know of any other player on the list that is.

Attitude of group is excellent

It is natural to be disappointed in a player not being available - thats the grief part - the anger part is what I am reading too much...

must remember that is not Pickett's fault he got injured again.

As for the condition or lack of he came back in - it says to me that either he doesn't care
OR
more likely
maybe it isnt as easy for him to maintain a discipline away from the Club - and that could be for all sorts of reasons.

Have a another look at t Pickett being carted off from training in one of those golf carts and his look of anguish straight at Bolton. ONe of the saddest expressions I have ever seen photographed - great shot.

Not all players have the same back home circumstances that might be perfect for player discipline.If Pckett cant come back and show something in the second half of the year a lot of people will calling for him to go - I'm not one of them. Different people develop at different times - he has too much talent to ignore and not go all the way to try and get him to use and he has mongrel on the field lots of it.

It is natural to be disappointed in a player not being available - thats the grief part - the anger part is what I am reading too much...

As for the condition or lack of he came back in - it says to me that either he doesn't care
OR
more likely
maybe it isnt as easy for him to maintain a discipline away from the Club - and that could be for all sorts of reasons.

Have a another look at t Pickett being carted off from training in one of those golf carts and his look of anguish straight at Bolton. ONe of the saddest expressions I have ever seen photographed - great shot.

Not all players have the same back home circumstances that might be perfect for player discipline.If Pckett cant come back and show something in the second half of the year a lot of people will calling for him to go - I'm not one of them. Different people develop at different times - he has too much talent to ignore and not go all the way to try and get him to use and he has mongrel on the field lots of it.

I'll go for that.

Professional athletes are asked to display unnatural maturity, and poise and mental strength. Who here had those qualities under 25?

Pay packet has nothing to do with it. Some never have it, some get it later on.

We look at Cripps and Dow and Walsh. These guys are utter freaks. And two of them have not made it yet.

Pickett will either grow up early or not. By early I mean before the age we all could not be trusted to even turn up to work on Monday after a big weekend.

Sad part is, IMO he’s the most talented player on the list except Charlie. I still remember his game against the Hawks in late 2017. If fit, he can do just about anything. Although not fair, talent like his does get an extra go. Please JP please, give it your best. I still believe but you’re making it hard.

Professional athletes are asked to display unnatural maturity, and poise and mental strength. Who here had those qualities under 25?

Pay packet has nothing to do with it. Some never have it, some get it later on.

We look at Cripps and Dow and Walsh. These guys are utter freaks. And two of them have not made it yet.

Pickett will either grow up early or not. By early I mean before the age we all could not be trusted to even turn up to work on Monday after a big weekend.

To be an elite athlete, it takes genetics, talent, discipline and hunger.

It's rare to have the full set. But lacking just one can be enough to see you not make the cut.

It's not fair, but thats how it is. Successful AFL footballers rarely lack drive. And it's getting harder every year to survive on talent alone.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is it then?

Kids like Harley Balic had a lack of want, which was evident in his junior years, then finally raised the white flag and pulled out.

As with any organisation, while rules and regulations are crucial, you can't expect every individual to shine within a blanket environment. Add an indigenous upbringing and it creates even more complexities, especially around discipline and structure, as this is generally unnatural to them. Guys like Shane Yarran (RIP), Chris Yarran, Harley Bennell, Dayle Garlett all with talent to burn yet, that lack of discipline was their downfall.

Pickett is none of the above, he is a clean skin, yet like every player on a list needs a program that is tailored for them, whether that be physically and or mentally. No doubt it is up to him to continue to show an appropriate desire, yet it is also up to the club to ensure that they determine what works best for him.

I have my doubts, but I hope the penny drops for everyone

Kids like Harley Balic had a lack of want, which was evident in his junior years, then finally raised the white flag and pulled out.

As with any organisation, while rules and regulations are crucial, you can't expect every individual to shine within a blanket environment. Add an indigenous upbringing and it creates even more complexities, especially around discipline and structure, as this is generally unnatural to them. Guys like Shane Yarran (RIP), Chris Yarran, Harley Bennell, Dayle Garlett all with talent to burn yet, that lack of discipline was their downfall.

Pickett is none of the above, he is a clean skin, yet like every player on a list needs a program that is tailored for them, whether that be physically and or mentally. No doubt it is up to him to continue to show an appropriate desire, yet it is also up to the club to ensure that they determine what works best for him.

Fair points but still boils down to a lack of desire IMO.

If you want it enough you’ll do it. No matter what the issues.

I rate him highly but he now needs to show he wants it enough

Talent means nothing if you don't have the other attributes to get the best out of yourself.

Injuries aside. Why he would come back out of shape when he knows we are another year deeper into the rebuild. More talent has been added again and competition for spots is going to be harder?

As Arrrow pointed out there will be other complexities around why it appears he can't stay disciplined over the break, but at the end of the day there needs to be a degree of individual responsibility.

I am sure he would have been given a tailored program. If he really had a burning desire he would have stuck to it.

AFL footballers are professionals and paid extremely well.
It’s unacceptable for any player to present out of shape, minimum level fitness is a basic requirement all commit to no exception.

Pay has nothing to do with attitude. Players are entitled to a break.
Pickett obviously isn’t driven to be a good footballer and the culture doesn’t exist where he doesn’t feel like he is letting anyone down by letting himself go.

Easy solution is fat camp like lance used to do or we delist him based on attitude.

I w

I would get him to have a chat to Shaun Burgoyne , someone who had their injury demons and managed to survive on pretty much pure talent until he met Andrew Russell. Now he is possibly AR's biggest success story. It couldnt hurt, but it might just give him the belief of what Russels program can do. It seems like JP could do with some encouragement right now

If Pckett cant come back and show something in the second half of the year a lot of people will calling for him to go - I'm not one of them.

I don’t want to see Pickett cut. In theory, he’s everything our team needs. Get someone in to talk with him (Burgoyne was a good suggestion). Sit down with him and his partner and lay it on the line about needing to prove that he can meet the standards to get another contract. Give him a tonne of support and clear benchmarks. Pair him with Doc whenever possible during rehab. If he meets the standards, extend.

Quite possibly a reason why he hasn't come back in great shape. It must be pretty tough spending year after year in the rehab room away from your team mates, friends and family. It must be a lonely place. I'm sure it's not how he envisaged his career and heading home at the end of the season maybe he needs a total break to get his head right?

Just speculating but not everyone has the drive and commitment or mental strength of a Cripps or Doch. I really hope Pickett can come back and get a clean run at it - he has a set of skills we really need and could do with some good luck on the injury front.

Definitely on his last chance now though.

He'd have had more company in the rehab program in 2018 than the fit players had on the training track. Don't think we can use loneliness as an excuse...

He'd have had more company in the rehab program in 2018 than the fit players had on the training track. Don't think we can use loneliness as an excuse...

If you google AFL rehab lonely you will find ample evidence to the contrary.

It's pretty clear that at this time Pickett lacks self discipline (at the level required for elite sport). That's not necessarily fatal. Some people thrive on imposed discipline and can not reach peak without a whip hand driving them on.

And some don't reach the required level either way. The jury is still out in this case, but you'd think they are getting close to a decision if new evidence doesn't arise.

\

It's pretty clear that at this time Pickett lacks self discipline (at the level required for elite sport). That's not necessarily fatal. Some people thrive on imposed discipline and can not reach peak without a whip hand driving them on.

Of course. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is and had to be recognised in people/players.

If Pickett has the talent and worth pursuing with, we may simply have to have a tougher eye on him.
If he's a total 'rebel. let him go, but I don't think he is.

Seems like a nice enough guy that just requires extra attention,

It's good to see that we have all maintained the , judge, jury and executioner rules which apply to our players.

As JAB has quoted, it is not his fault he got injured remembering most of his injuries were impact, knee, wrist, foot, not so much. Doc came back in ripping condition but still got injured, it happens.

If he was running out of breath in the two's because of his lack of conditioning, I'd be calling for his head too, but impact injuries are unavoidable if you decide to go for the ball.

I understand we are all frustrated as we can see what talent he has and we want to see him out on the field displaying his talents, but spare thought for him, injuries in sport are a pretty lonely place to be no matter how many people you have a round you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back