Play Nice The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 15 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely no doubt in the COrey Brewer effect. 2 games, 2 wins

images

I was thinking this the other night. I wouldn't have penalty shots after 3 point attempts unless it was a flagrant foul. 4 points for one play is too many. It would put an end to all those ridiculous flops. How's the Lakers' luck? We finally have a night when Curry shoots poorly against us, and then Klay blows us out of the water. :)

We are so short staffed it's not funny

How do you fix it though? Almost have to ban 3's. Could make the 3 pt line the half way line but that won't make any difference to Curry :p

One thing I completely hate is any sign or any sort of incidental contact at the 3pt line is automatically 3 free throws every single time which is a massive advantage.

Yet when a player drives they are physically assaulted every single time and it is accepted that it should be a no call.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the no call - that is basketball. You go in there you should expect a physical response. I have a problem with a 3pt shooter getting such a huge advantage and so much protection.

Stop rewarding players who jump into the defender on jumpshots initiating contact, Nikola Mirotic is the king of this.

Basically stop rewarding offensive players who initiate contact (unless it's a blatant hack by the defender), actually allow defenders to play physical defense.

What's the concensus on the bottom 5 teams in the league to support right now, just based on being no good, plus no future etc.
My thoughts in no particular order

Pistons
Miami
Wizards
Cavs
Pels

Cavs will get the 1st pick soon thought so will be okay. Pels just because of the inevitable dread of AD leaving. Top 3 teams, just mired in mediocrity with no change in sight.

While in some instances we'd rank high on the 'dangerous to your mental health' scale - not least in the 'potential re-locatees' category - IF we had to trade AD and start over we wouldn't be in an absolutely terrible position, at least right now.

We own all our future firsts (in b4 we trade one for marginal help) and we currently don't have any horrible deals clogging our cap bar Solomon Hill's, which only has 18 months to run anyway.

We do really need to find out AD's intentions before we make calls on Mirotic, Randle, Payton etc though. If we overpay those guys only to have AD leave a few months later, then we will be mired in mediocrity. Not sure I want Dell Demps overseeing a rebuild, if we have a fresh start it should involve management too. Having a GM on a small market team who is adverse to drafting is... not ideal.

While in some instances we'd rank high on the 'dangerous to your mental health' scale - not least in the 'potential re-locatees' category - IF we had to trade AD and start over we wouldn't be in an absolutely terrible position, at least right now.

We own all our future firsts (in b4 we trade one for marginal help) and we currently don't have any horrible deals clogging our cap bar Solomon Hill's, which only has 18 months to run anyway.

We do really need to find out AD's intentions before we make calls on Mirotic, Randle, Payton etc though. If we overpay those guys only to have AD leave a few months later, then we will be mired in mediocrity. Not sure I want Dell Demps overseeing a rebuild, if we have a fresh start it should involve management too. Having a GM on a small market team who is adverse to drafting is... not ideal.
Yeah Pels are probably a bit harsh, Charlotte definitely belong in there.

Hornets very similar to Pistons. One star and and a bunch of misused draft picks.

Yeah Pels are probably a bit harsh, Charlotte definitely belong in there.

Hornets very similar to Pistons. One star and and a bunch of misused draft picks.

Yeah the Pistons and the Hornets have a bunch of those contracts that make it so hard to shift directions - Reggie Jackson, Leuer, Galloway, Batum, Marvin Williams, Biyombo etc etc.

Really hard to plot a different path given those constraints. Very different challenges regarding their respective best players though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you fix it though? Almost have to ban 3's. Could make the 3 pt line the half way line but that won't make any difference to Curry :p

One thing I completely hate is any sign or any sort of incidental contact at the 3pt line is automatically 3 free throws every single time which is a massive advantage.

Yet when a player drives they are physically assaulted every single time and it is accepted that it should be a no call.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the no call - that is basketball. You go in there you should expect a physical response. I have a problem with a 3pt shooter getting such a huge advantage and so much protection.
I think the NBA is going through a strange phase similar to what the AFL has recently experienced. Up until a few years ago, only the elite midfielders of the whole competition could follow the ball all over the ground for 4 quarters. But now its an expectation from everyone bar the full backs and full forwards to run all day, and thats created the congested football that everyone hates. In the AFL's case, its the rise in fitness that has seen the spectacle change for the negative.

In the NBA the coaches are all playing the numbers game

The NBA is undergoing an unprecedented rise in performance that the administrators of the sport and creators of the game could never have expected. And this rise in performance is actually to the detriment of the spectacle for fans unfortunately. The AFL the last few years has the same problem albeit a different aspect of performance. It used to be that only a few elite runners from each team could follow the ball for 4 quarters over the whole ground. Shane Crawford, Ben Cousins, Robert Harvey were uncommon among their peers when it came to running hard all day. But now instead of a handful of players on the ground having this ability, its everyone bar maybe the full backline and full forward line. The rise in elite running has contributed to the ugly congested football.

For the NBA, in the past it was Reggie Miller, Ray Allen and maybe 1 guy on each team that could regularly drain 3 pointers. Now everyone including the 7 footers are practicing 3's with the expectation to knock down them down. Coaches for obvious reasons would rather their team shoot 10 shots from 3pt range at 40% than 10 shots inside the arc at 50%. So this 3pt bonanza will only get more prolific unfortunately. Its an increase in performance but it hurts the sport as a spectacle.

The AFL and NBA have a problem on their hands because the solution to improving the spectacle is not easy, and many solutions involve big rule changes that will upset die hard fans. The best solution in my mind for getting the NBA back to more traditional plays in the post with much less 3 pointers is to move the line back. It would mean once again only the best of the best such as Curry and Harden etc would attempt those shots, and the extra spacing would allow the bigs to work a bit without help defence meaning an easy kick-out and 3pt splash.

The AFL and NBA have a problem on their hands because the solution to improving the spectacle is not easy, and many solutions involve big rule changes that will upset die hard fans. The best solution in my mind for getting the NBA back to more traditional plays in the post with much less 3 pointers is to move the line back. It would mean once again only the best of the best such as Curry and Harden etc would attempt those shots, and the extra spacing would allow the bigs to work a bit without help defence meaning an easy kick-out and 3pt splash.

Still not going to be able to stop a corner 3, which is the most effective shot in the game right now IIRC.

Maybe we need to employ cricket rules.

2 bouncers an over. 3rd = no ball.

5 x 3 pointers per player per match. 6 = turnover :p

I think the NBA is going through a strange phase similar to what the AFL has recently experienced. Up until a few years ago, only the elite midfielders of the whole competition could follow the ball all over the ground for 4 quarters. But now its an expectation from everyone bar the full backs and full forwards to run all day, and thats created the congested football that everyone hates. In the AFL's case, its the rise in fitness that has seen the spectacle change for the negative.

In the NBA the coaches are all playing the numbers game

The NBA is undergoing an unprecedented rise in performance that the administrators of the sport and creators of the game could never have expected. And this rise in performance is actually to the detriment of the spectacle for fans unfortunately. The AFL the last few years has the same problem albeit a different aspect of performance. It used to be that only a few elite runners from each team could follow the ball for 4 quarters over the whole ground. Shane Crawford, Ben Cousins, Robert Harvey were uncommon among their peers when it came to running hard all day. But now instead of a handful of players on the ground having this ability, its everyone bar maybe the full backline and full forward line. The rise in elite running has contributed to the ugly congested football.

For the NBA, in the past it was Reggie Miller, Ray Allen and maybe 1 guy on each team that could regularly drain 3 pointers. Now everyone including the 7 footers are practicing 3's with the expectation to knock down them down. Coaches for obvious reasons would rather their team shoot 10 shots from 3pt range at 40% than 10 shots inside the arc at 50%. So this 3pt bonanza will only get more prolific unfortunately. Its an increase in performance but it hurts the sport as a spectacle.

What if it was only 2 free throws for a foul on a 3pt attempt.

So if the shooter drains it - they still get a free throw for a 4pt play.

But if the defence closes out quick enough it is only 2 free shots even if they chop them in half.

At least that creates a chance for the defenders and means players might only attempt open 3’s.

What if it was only 2 free throws for a foul on a 3pt attempt.

So if the shooter drains it - they still get a free throw for a 4pt play.

But if the defence closes out quick enough it is only 2 free shots even if they chop them in half.

At least that creates a chance for the defenders and means players might only attempt open 3’s.

Makes end game situations really easy to defend if a team is up by 3.

And people complaining about the game realize that it's popularity is at an all time high?

I prefer to see more defense, but people like offense. Most people think 80s is the peak of basketball, and that's because teams scored. At that point defense wasn't great, and as teams improved at that end, we ended up with the 90s/00s where defense took over and popularity dropped off (after MJ left).

People like to see teams score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back