Society/Culture Gillette suggests most of its customers are sexist, predatory, bullies. Good idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm simply asking why this has got people so worked up. I'm not particularly for the ad, just fascinated by the over-the-top reaction. No one can give me a straight answer as to why they're so upset.

You can gauge one's emotion from behind a keyboard? Shouldn't you be working for Shield or something saving the world?

I'll discard the flippantry, for the most part most comments on this thread in opposition to the ad are just calling out obvious the obvious tones of misandry. It's your imagination (and you're not alone) and you assume some throwing their empties and yelling profanities at the tv screen by what they type from a keyboard.

I'm sure there are some who are losing their s**t over it, but I'd imagine they'd be very much in very small numbers.

This rant has gone on for long enough, im just sick of this stuff infecting our society.

Great post.

It's about power and the perpetuation of academic & bureaucratic fraud.

No problem, if you only want to discuss things with people that agree with you, then good luck. I generally respond to people to either state or clarify my opinion or to seek their opinion to see what their angle is.

You could have just left without the ridiculous psychoanalysis, but then again, that's what you're all about.

You know that, whatever your view on it, "toxic masculinity" is not a synonym for "masculinity", right?
Excuse me for being slow on the uptake. Sperm is carcinogenic and is linked to cervical and other cancers. Is this what everyone is talking about when they refer to "toxic masculinity" or are they using my prostate as grounds to discriminate against me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maxresdefault.jpg

Saw this commentary from Karen Straughn on the ad and she makes some great points:

Think of it this way. We are supposed to feel bad for the poor, crestfallen woman in the boardroom who is being mansplained. Her boss, apparently, is engaging in mind-reading, deciding for her what her intention REALLY is, and then speaking on her behalf.

We see the exact same thing happening in the hot girl scene. The black guy is reading her mind, deciding for her what her intention REALLY is (to not be hit on by a goddamn male model, ffs?), and then speaking on her behalf.

Look at the other people in the scene. I see long pants on everyone else. I see long sleeves and jackets. Unless she has some kind of medical condition (or is going through premature menopause, with all the hot flashes), she ain't dressed for the freaking weather. We're supposed to assume she chose a skin tight, midriff baring tank top and short shorts that morning, but that she DOESN'T want male attention?

The feminist who made this ad is actually endorsing "mansplaining version 2.0", the version where men actually do know what's in women's heads better than the women themselves, and are duty-bound to mansplain it to other men.

The ad is so paternalistic it's not even funny. The bikini girls at the pool party stand passively looking upset until a man comes and rescues them from the boorish guy and his camera man. Why not give them the finger and walk to some other spot by the pool? Hell, why not go find the host and ASK him to intervene? These ineffectual women have the agency and wherewithal of sex dolls.

The single mom can't even be arsed to dial 911 when a pack of bullies barges into her home. She just sits there crying, hugging her crying bullied son and solves nothing. Hugs don't fix bullying, yo.

And the woman in the board room? What the hell is she doing there? How did someone that milquetoast and pathetic make it to an executive position? I smell a diversity hire.

And the one confident woman--the one in the scene you're talking about--who is wearing what she wants and strutting confidently in public. Even SHE needs to be protected from a social interaction we are to ASSUME would make her upset or uncomfortable.

The entire ad insults women.

You know that, whatever your view on it, "toxic masculinity" is not a synonym for "masculinity", right?
It sure is heading that way.
Seems to be the aim of certain groups to cast all male behaviours as toxic masculinity

Last edited:
Yeah, I certainly won't be buying Gillette razors again. Hiring a misandrist to carry out an anti-male commercial for products mostly aimed at men... What could go wrong!

Given women do most of the shopping generally, lots of men’s bodycare product ads are directed at women as they’ll be the ones actually purchasing things. That OldSpice ad from a while back is the perfect example
Partly. As a married women my partner does ask for certain things but it is true when in the shops I would remember the Lynx ads here in the UK, are these designed for us? I'm not sure but I do like them and maybe they're ingrained in the subconscious. I do think and feel, 'he'll like this' or 'that'll smell nice on him'. But for razors any girl would buy a razor that goes very close... Legs, bikini line and arm pits. Do we buy them only when we can't borrow.

Saw this commentary from Karen Straughn on the ad and she makes some great points:

Think of it this way. We are supposed to feel bad for the poor, crestfallen woman in the boardroom who is being mansplained. Her boss, apparently, is engaging in mind-reading, deciding for her what her intention REALLY is, and then speaking on her behalf.

We see the exact same thing happening in the hot girl scene. The black guy is reading her mind, deciding for her what her intention REALLY is (to not be hit on by a goddamn male model, ffs?), and then speaking on her behalf.

Look at the other people in the scene. I see long pants on everyone else. I see long sleeves and jackets. Unless she has some kind of medical condition (or is going through premature menopause, with all the hot flashes), she ain't dressed for the freaking weather. We're supposed to assume she chose a skin tight, midriff baring tank top and short shorts that morning, but that she DOESN'T want male attention?

The feminist who made this ad is actually endorsing "mansplaining version 2.0", the version where men actually do know what's in women's heads better than the women themselves, and are duty-bound to mansplain it to other men.

The ad is so paternalistic it's not even funny. The bikini girls at the pool party stand passively looking upset until a man comes and rescues them from the boorish guy and his camera man. Why not give them the finger and walk to some other spot by the pool? Hell, why not go find the host and ASK him to intervene? These ineffectual women have the agency and wherewithal of sex dolls.

The single mom can't even be arsed to dial 911 when a pack of bullies barges into her home. She just sits there crying, hugging her crying bullied son and solves nothing. Hugs don't fix bullying, yo.

And the woman in the board room? What the hell is she doing there? How did someone that milquetoast and pathetic make it to an executive position? I smell a diversity hire.

And the one confident woman--the one in the scene you're talking about--who is wearing what she wants and strutting confidently in public. Even SHE needs to be protected from a social interaction we are to ASSUME would make her upset or uncomfortable.

The entire ad insults women.
Aker: Harden up!

Do you think this represents particular types of situations or every situation?

Aker: Harden up!

Do you think this represents particular types of situations or every situation?

Are you asking me or Karen Straughn? If the former, you'll need to explain what you're talking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back