Your three favourite opposition teams

What are your Top 3 opposition teams (discuss reasons)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney - Always respected them as a team and how they've got so much of that their players/ group which on paper wouldn't be as good as others.

Geelong - Family influence.

North - Had a mate play for them so there's a vested interest. Champion team and champion players when I first started getting footy as well.

A real litmus test is who one supports in a GF when your team is not participating.

The 2018 GF presented a real challenge. As a Bloods fan, I possess the traditional antipathy to both WC and the Pies. Being an ancient, I have a host of reasons for barracking against the Pies and that finally tipped the balance.

I rooted for the Hawks in every recent flag. Don't mind the Hawks.

Brisbane Lions - Fitzroy were always my second team.

Adelaide Crows - Birds of a feather flock together.

Melbourne - Friends of mine support them, and they haven't won in years.

I also like Hawthorn and the Bulldogs.

Carlton - barracked for the Blues pre-Freo, but I'm a South Freo fan through & through. Big Cripps & C Curnow fan.

Essendon - ties to the club via EDFL & one of the coaches from long ago. Big Daniher & Francis fan.

Melbourne - ties to the MCC. Big Oliver & Jetta fan.

People explaining the preference for Freo over West Coast by our usual position at the foot of the ladder & theirs near the top haven't taken into account the few years we were the better side, yet most neutral fans (at least those I knew when living in WA), still preferred Freo over West Coast. I'd be surprised if there were many WA based "neutral" fans who preferred WC over Freo, but I'm open to being shot down here.

Carlton - barracked for the Blues pre-Freo, but I'm a South Freo fan through & through. Big Cripps & C Curnow fan.

Essendon - ties to the club via EDFL & one of the coaches from long ago. Big Daniher & Francis fan.

Melbourne - ties to the MCC. Big Oliver & Jetta fan.

People explaining the preference for Freo over West Coast by our usual position at the foot of the ladder & theirs near the top haven't taken into account the few years we were the better side, yet most neutral fans (at least those I knew when living in WA), still preferred Freo over West Coast. I'd be surprised if there were many WA based "neutral" fans who preferred WC over Freo, but I'm open to being shot down here.

This would be mainly due to the blanket coverage and general testicle licking that West Coast get in Perth. People who don't follow West Coast find it nauseating.

This would be mainly due to the blanket coverage and general testicle licking that West Coast get in Perth. People who don't follow West Coast find it nauseating.

Sounds like the sort of media fawning the Broncos and Cowboys get in Brisbane

Sydney - Always respected them as a team and how they've got so much of that their players/ group which on paper wouldn't be as good as others.

Geelong - Family influence.

North - Had a mate play for them so there's a vested interest. Champion team and champion players when I first started getting footy as well.
Who's your mate?

Its the same here in South Australia.

The Crows get comfortably more coverage/players popping up on ads etc.

I only find it annoying when either team is doing well because then every ****er comes out of nowhere saying theyve followed them since day one.

Im sure its the same in WA and Vic too

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South Melbourne/Swans - half of the extended family are devout followers of the team that used to play at the Lakeside, including some who donned the red and white. Dad's cousin John Heriot made their team of the century.

I had that awful realisation in 1996 that I'd need to reassess my allegiances to footy...I was sitting in a bar watching the 1996 QF against Sydney, knowing when they lost that "that's it, no more Hawks"...the merger at that time was a "foregone conclusion"...so thank you, Don Scott...

Could I join the Melbourne Hawks? I already barrack for South Launceston and the SA Eagles, both of whom were merged teams. I'd just moved to Qld, so maybe the Bears who were about to become the Lions...? Weirdly, the Eagles were in the mix too, although future me recoils at the notion. Nothing appeals to me at all about the other interstaters. And old VFL sides? No chance, hate all of the f###ers, c###s the lot of 'em...

My 3 nominees: Hodge joining Brisbane is a huge swinging factor, but then again, Brisbane is the only team in hindsight I'd be happy with him joining. I should hate GWS as a Tasmanian who's eternally pissed off that the mighty dark green is ignored in favour of an area as favourable and useful to footy as Mars is to life, but go figure - I don't. And I was a Gold Coaster for a bit 20 years ago and mates from there support them...plus they seem reasonably harmless...a bit of side barracking shouldn't bite me in the arse...?

At the moment it's
1. Freo
2. Gold Coast
3. Brisbane

It changes from time to time. Richmond used to be in there as where the dogs, although the dogs would take 4th for me

1. Western Bulldogs, ever since the mid 2000s they’ve always played with a run and gun attacking flare. Surprisingly we’ve two of the worst umpires games against us have been Doggies matches over the last 10-12 years, which should breed animosity but too many likable types (West, Grant, Bontempelli, Murphy, Gilbee, Eagleton, Hunter, Johnson, Hahn, Stringer*, Macrae, Cooney, Cross)
2. Richmond, perennial under performers with a loyal fan base getting a moment in the sun is nice to see.
3. Collingwood, Probably the most like Essendon out there, respect over Anzac Day. Was still happy for them to lose the grand final though, can’t have them catching our 16 flags!

Brisbane probably fourth with a few classic wins having me celebrating like one of their fans. (Miracle on grass and Polkinghorne torpe to sink the Eagles)

After my original post, I've started to collect hats, but I could not bring myself to purchasing an opposition hat for the AFL. If I had to choose who I'd like to watch in 2019, it would be Brisbane and maybe Freo.

Lions - Treated in an appalling fashion by the AFL, as my mob were by the VFL. Their threepeat against Melbourne based teams marked them as the best team to date of this century. Always support them when playing teams other than my mob.

Power - The most successful national team, counting SANFL wins. Generally play an exciting style of footy.

Freo - Like Port they have a traditional basis of support. Their fans enjoy wins over the WC even more than my mob do.

How does Fremantle have any more of a traditional base of support than Adelaide or West Coast?

Collingwood - Mums side of the family support them.
Brisbane - Can vividly remember cheering for them in the 02-03 grand finals as an 7-8 year old to piss off mums side of the family.
Hawthorn - My missus' team so I'm not allowed to barrack against them.

How does Fremantle have any more of a traditional base of support than Adelaide or West Coast?

East and South put aside their differences to support the common cause.

WC are just a manufactured team supported by criminal mining companies and chardy set types. Oh yes and sellers of steroids and other drugs.

I find the notion of a second team a peculiar one. I follow teams from different sports, but have never had a second team in any sport. I do enjoy watching individuals or good and/or exciting teams, but have never been able to bring myself to barrack for another team. Though I will admit my wife and I cheered on West Coast in last 5 minutes of last years GF.

I did choose Gold Coast, but that's more a Queenslander thing, and hoping they can sort their *#@! out both on and off the field. I would genuinely love a local rivalry, as both clubs hopefully climb the ladder.

Asking who I dislike/despise is a more relevant question. As a Lions supporter that's easy, Collingwood and Port ...................................... (feel free to fill in the blanks). Almost every other team is meh, though there is some grudging respect for the Hawks and Swans.

Back