Prediction Proposed Pies Rd 1 team, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that de Goey could be a very good (mainly) permanent forward. The question is what is best overall. We need more class coming off the backling and Seidebottom is the perfect candidate. Beams can replace him directly in the midfield numbers so no real need to change re De Goey and that leaves the midfield in much the same space as last year. We actually got beaten in the midfield 3 out of 3 by WCE - twice in finals. We didn't kick enough goals in the GF after 1/4 time becasue we didn't get it to De Goey & co enough or with enough precision. Sidebottom can help the exit from defense but adding De Goey to the link up could be huge given Sidebottom would be removed. More importantly, his ability to get the ball foward from centre bouces could add as many goals to Elliot & Cox as he would kick as a forwards when he is down there. As an illustration, DeGoey to Eilliot from the ball up is better than Adams or Treloar to De Goey IMO.

Worst case scenario though is more options & flexility.
I guess I am pretty bullish on the Bear. The Bear only came into the team post the bye, and that coincided with DeGoey and J.Thomas’ midfield minutes declining. Which makes sense as DeGoey and Thomas are more dangerous around goals.

Give Bear another pre-season, and add in Beams and we don’t ‘need’ DeGoey in the middle.

Fun debate to have, as he did show on QBday how great he could be in the middle...and with him away from forward line it allowed WHE, Stepho and JT to get amongst the goals.

Blasphemy

Be careful Unknown Identity as such silliness can make one become an unknown identity
:p:p:p

Bear attack coming .....
...though I am concerned that every Instagram post I see from the Bear usually has him cocktail in hand out partying somewhere.

Great to see the shape of our list and how fierce the competition for spots is going to be.
Looking at our Grand final 22, I can definitely see a few potential changes if everyone is fully fit.
This is our 22 from the Grand final.
Bolded are the players I think will be under most pressure to keep there spots.
B: Brayden Maynard, Tom Langdon, Jack Crisp
HB: Jeremy Howe, Tyson Goldsack, Travis Varcoe
C: Adam Treloar, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jordan De Goey
F: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Jaidyn Stephenson
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom
Int: Brayden Sier, James Aish, Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood

The no brainers for me are,
Darcy Moore comes in for Goldsack.
Dunn Comes in for Varcoe. With Crisp moving to the HBF and Langdon to the Pocket.
Dayne Beams comes in for Levi Greenwood.

The big IF for me is if Jamie Elliot is ready to go. If he can get back to his best, he is best 18 no doubt. I've noticed a lot of people pushing Thomas out of the side or DeGoey into the midfield ect. For me Mihocek is the man who most likely makes way. He doesn't play as a traditional big forward, and a lot of his goals were crumbs. Its a difficult call as Checkers had an excellent debut season but that would be the way I would be going.

James Aish and Chris Mayne are both capable of holding there spots obviously, but with the likes of Daicos, Wells, Greenwood, Scharenberg, Greenwood, Reid, Murphy and Quaynor all potentially sitting outside of the best 22 they will have to be at there best from word go.

Would be very happy to see:

B: Brayden Maynard, Lyndon Dunn, Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp
C: Adam Treloar, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Jordan DeGoey, Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliot
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Dayne Beams
Int: Brayden Sier, Josh Daicos, Daniel Wells, Tom Phillips

Emg : James Aish, Chris Mayne, Tyson Goldsack

...though I am concerned that every Instagram post I see from the Bear usually has him cocktail in hand out partying somewhere.
That’s fake worries as Instagram and some such is meant to show people always happy and being party like.

It’s a fake world out there, unlike the richness of bigfooty*

What Bear does on game is what counts.

* may have some tongue in cheek

I’m worried about him drinking cocktails.

If Elliot is fully fit he's a starting 18 player without doubt IMO. Elliot & De Goey are the best forwards on our list. The bonus of a fit Elliot is it allows De Gooey more midfield time which allows Sidebottom to play half back. The problem for oppositions with Elliot in the side is that he needs the same oponent as De Goey
I can't believe how under-rated Elliott is by some. Was on track to become 1 of the elite small forwards in the game before struck down with the initial back injury. When he returned in 2017 he was slightly less dynamic but still averaged a career high 6 marks and 2 goals a game. For mine, if it comes to a choice between Elliott, Thomas, or Varcoe, Elliott definitely gets my nod easily.

I can't see why the coaching staff would feel the need to move DeGoey out of his best position. Particularly given our surplus of midfielders.

I'm also not sure how we could be giving the nod to Jamie over a guy like Josh Thomas based on last year. Josh was one of our best goal scorers last year, averaging 17 touches and 3 tackles a game. The kid was good, better than I have him credit for.. the presumption that Elliott, who has missed two of the past three seasons, should start ahead of him seems a little odd.

Do I underrated Jamie? I don't think so. Truth is, I don't know where to rate him. He hasn't played enough footy in recent times to be thought of as the player we all thought he could be. He hasn't played in this version of Collingwood, so how could we possibly rate his fit within the side? What I can rate, is how Varcoe, WHE, Thomas, JDG etc all worked together to bring us the most successful session at the club in 7 years. I'm not going to presume that any of those guys are worse for the side than someone who hasn't played AFL in over 12 months.

The presumption of fitness at least partly negates the fact he's missed footy. Truth is, I don't think he or Moore will play a lot of footy or that Scharenberg will very play another 100 games so none of them will play in most weeks best 22. The practical v the theoretical.

I see Elliot as one of our most talented footballers. That puts him ahead of Thomas in the context of a best 22 with all fit. Thomas would probably still be best 22 though based on last year. Mayne and Aish are the most vulnerable.

Having depth is a great problem to have.

This time last year...not many people would have pegged J.Thomas to kick 38, a debutant Stephenson to play 26 games and also kick 38 and WHE to kick more than 40!

Let alone Mihocek avg 1.8 goals and almost jagging 30 in half a season!!

But come 2019 we need to evolve again, if we stay the same other teams will go past us.

Billy, will hopefully be a big part of us evolving again and improving.

And down back, can see Moore being a huge addition.

And above all of that, the coaches tend to focus on team and defensive aspects first....which is what was special about JT, Stepho, Mihocek and WHE....they did all the selfless stuff and resultantly all enjoyed the spoils with different players bobbing up most weeks.

And who knows, a guy like Daicos could claim a spot with a good pre-season, or a veteran like Reid/Wells/Mayne surprise and turn back the clock and be part of the forward mix again.

Truth is, I don't think he or Moore will play a lot of footy or that Scharenberg will very play another 100 games so none of them will play in most weeks best 22.

This is a bit gloomy. I’d have to agree re Elliott - he just doesn’t incite confidence with what I hope are not chronic back and hamstring injuries.

I don’t want to agree re Schaz but fear you may be right. Three ACLs is not good.

But Moore? Do you have no faith in his body being up to the rigours of AFL? Would be a terrible waste if so. I’m hoping he’s over 2018 and ready to let rip. Looks impressive in the training reports.

Grand final side with maybe

Elliot in for Aish

Moore in for someone.

I wouldn't change much TBH. The balance was good. We lost a GF by a kick.

Squeeze in beams as well

I think Elliot has to play at least 3 VFL games first up

I have no worries about our center / fwds

Down back is going to be interesting - roughie is one I’m keen to see play. If he can do what Dunn has done in terms of performance vs expectations would be a bonus

Squeeze in beams as well

I think Elliot has to play at least 3 VFL games first up

I have no worries about our center / fwds

Down back is going to be interesting - roughie is one I’m keen to see play. If he can do what Dunn has done in terms of performance vs expectations would be a bonus
Haha good point with beams. If he got through 2 practice matches he would be in for me but that’s very unlikely and probably as suggested will be nursed back

I am glad we have Roughead and Reid as we will need a bigger defender for the cats round 1, Goldsack was gallant but Hawkins will be just like Kennedy for mine. I’d say horses for courses and Goldsack makes way.

Also would like Aish and greenwood find some form as their grand final performance was average at best. You may find they are depth only, beams definintely replaces Levi and young iq may also debut and replaces Aish.

We have drafted well and think we look stronger with greater depth, not to mention three defenders and a gun forward who will be pressing in Moore, berg, dunne and billy.

All four have best 22 value, just can’t get them all in. You would want to have form this year as you may really struggle to get back in if you get dropped.

Very buoyant about the thought wells actually gets a decent run at it, especially as this is last year in a contract. Likely to have a ripper to get a bonus year. A great problem to have.

Imagine all these blokes fit and firing

FB Maynard dunne langdon

HB Crisp Moore howe

C Sidebottom Beams wells

HF degoey mihocek Pendlebury

FF Elliot Cox hoskin-Elliot

R Grundy Treloar Adams

I Stevenson sier berg Mayne

E Thomas Phillips Goldsack

E2 Varcoe Reid Greenwood

E3 Roughead aish appleby

E4 Murphy wills daicos

E5 c brown Quaynor madigan

E6 Lynch Kelly t brown

E7 Crocker Broomhead atu

Then there are two Irish lads

I’d say Crocker and wills would need to be extraordinary to remain on the list, those older blokes who got just one year would need to play well. I’d say 4 go at the end of the year minimum, so 2 would definitely get chopped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad we have Roughead and Reid as we will need a bigger defender for the cats round 1, Goldsack was gallant but Hawkins will be just like Kennedy for mine. I’d say horses for courses and Goldsack makes way.

Also would like Aish and greenwood find some form as their grand final performance was average at best. You may find they are depth only, beams definintely replaces Levi and young iq may also debut and replaces Aish.

We have drafted well and think we look stronger with greater depth, not to mention three defenders and a gun forward who will be pressing in Moore, berg, dunne and billy.

All four have best 22 value, just can’t get them all in. You would want to have form this year as you may really struggle to get back in if you get dropped.

Very buoyant about the thought wells actually gets a decent run at it, especially as this is last year in a contract. Likely to have a ripper to get a bonus year. A great problem to have.

FB Maynard dunne langdon

HB Crisp Moore howe

C Sidebottom Beams wells

R Grundy Treloar Adams

E2 Varcoe Reid Greenwood

E3 Roughead aish appleby

E4 Murphy wills daicos

E6 Lynch Kelly t brown

E7 Crocker Broomhead atu

I’d say Crocker and wills would need to be extraordinary to remain on the list, those older blokes who got just one year would need to play well. I’d say 4 go at the end of the year minimum, so 2 would definitely get chopped.

Iimagine having these 5 players in our gf team all fit, dunne, Moore, Elliot, wells, beams and berg. We would have smashed them.

Great to see the shape of our list and how fierce the competition for spots is going to be.
Looking at our Grand final 22, I can definitely see a few potential changes if everyone is fully fit.
This is our 22 from the Grand final.
Bolded are the players I think will be under most pressure to keep there spots.
B: Brayden Maynard, Tom Langdon, Jack Crisp
HB: Jeremy Howe, Tyson Goldsack, Travis Varcoe
C: Adam Treloar, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jordan De Goey
F: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Jaidyn Stephenson
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom
Int: Brayden Sier, James Aish, Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood

The no brainers for me are,
Darcy Moore comes in for Goldsack.
Dunn Comes in for Varcoe. With Crisp moving to the HBF and Langdon to the Pocket.
Dayne Beams comes in for Levi Greenwood.

The big IF for me is if Jamie Elliot is ready to go. If he can get back to his best, he is best 18 no doubt. I've noticed a lot of people pushing Thomas out of the side or DeGoey into the midfield ect. For me Mihocek is the man who most likely makes way. He doesn't play as a traditional big forward, and a lot of his goals were crumbs. Its a difficult call as Checkers had an excellent debut season but that would be the way I would be going.

James Aish and Chris Mayne are both capable of holding there spots obviously, but with the likes of Daicos, Wells, Greenwood, Scharenberg, Greenwood, Reid, Murphy and Quaynor all potentially sitting outside of the best 22 they will have to be at there best from word go.

Would be very happy to see:

B: Brayden Maynard, Lyndon Dunn, Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp
C: Adam Treloar, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Jordan DeGoey, Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliot
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Dayne Beams
Int: Brayden Sier, Josh Daicos, Daniel Wells, Tom Phillips

Emg : James Aish, Chris Mayne, Tyson Goldsack
Why Josh Daicos? He is a long long way back for me. Especially being in a premiership window.

Not saying he wont progress to be a good player but can't see him playing round 1.

But Moore? Do you have no faith in his body being up to the rigours of AFL? Would be a terrible waste if so. I’m hoping he’s over 2018 and ready to let rip. Looks impressive in the training reports.
It seems there are 2 issues. On the face of it he has chronic hamstring issues. With his more recent occurrence and being unavailable for finals, no medically diagnosed damage was detected. The implication was psychological. Either way it doesn't inspire confidence. I hope he has a good pre season and starts the year well becuse he could be the missing piece of the premiership puzzle but it hope rather than confidence.

FB Maynard dunne langdon

HB Crisp Moore howe

C Sidebottom Beams wells

R Grundy Treloar Adams

E2 Varcoe Reid Greenwood

E3 Roughead aish appleby

E4 Murphy wills daicos

E6 Lynch Kelly t brown

E7 Crocker Broomhead atu

I can't imagine a midfield spot being available for Wells when all of Pendlebury/Treloar/Beams/Adams/Sier/Phillips/Sidebottom are best 22, and certainly not a starting position.

I can't imagine a midfield spot being available for Wells when all of Pendlebury/Treloar/Beams/Adams/Sier/Phillips/Sidebottom are best 22, and certainly not a starting position.
Let the silk be on the flank.

His passing to Cox and De Goey will be sublime.

Or he’ll pass delightfully to Elliott.

The mind boggles....

Fingers crossed if he’s up and about, we’re better. More goals will come.

Let the silk be on the flank.

His passing to Cox and De Goey will be sublime.

Or he’ll pass delightfully to Elliott.

The mind boggles....

Fingers crossed if he’s up and about, we’re better. More goals will come.
We can put any of Pendlebury and Sidebottom on a wing with even better effect, and will provide the inside midfield time for Beams and Sier.

Bottom line is if a promising winger like Phillips who was on track for AA squad last year is doubtful to make our round 1 team, then unless wells reverts back to his north Melbourne days he’s not a chance.

For me Mihocek is the man who most likely makes way. He doesn't play as a traditional big forward, and a lot of his goals were crumbs. Its a difficult call as Checkers had an excellent debut season but that would be the way I would be going.
I disagree-Mihocek provided countless aerial contests throughout the finals and during the season which led to goals. He is strong overhead. I noticed how often defenders had to get in an effective defensive punch to prevent him marking as he really clamps the pill with intent unlike a number of key forwards who double grab or flat palm the pill.

I disagree-Mihocek provided countless aerial contests throughout the finals and during the season which led to goals. He is strong overhead. I noticed how often defenders had to get in an effective defensive punch to prevent him marking as he really clamps the pill with intent unlike a number of key forwards who double grab or flat palm the pill.

Agree. Mihocek is a lock for Round 1 and if he plays at the same level as last year, there will be no chance he will be dropped.

Mayne personally. He was a winger who averaged under 20 disposals a game. Beams comes in. Sidebottom shifts back to a wing. Someone needs to make way and Sidebottom and Phillips are better players. I think the club rates Maynes defensive running in transition though so I could have it wrong.

Varcoe is a team lifter with his defensive work and does it up forward. Different positions so the selection pressure is different when comparing Mayne and Varcoe. The Varcoe vs Thomas selection battle is an interesting one for mine. Thomas better offensively by far but Varcoe offers a defensive element to the group no one else offers. Good for team balance. If Elliott returns one of Varcoe or Thomas will be stiff to miss.
What makes Thomas so valuable imo is he isn’t a one way running small forward like Fasolo was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back