Banter Preseason general discussion - The Reigning Premiers Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Attitude and willingness to take the tough stuff is suspect. Switched on I love him, but will we see much of that in 19?
I hope he realises the opportunity he has, and not be a one season wonder

I think Ryan is similar to gov bad at training but natural talent while playing (gov hates training and in his words he sucks).

And you'd have him in front of O. Allen??
Not likely, but it just shows how tough it'll be to get a gig or hold a spot..and the depth.
The WAFL team promises to be a great platform for team success and a shot at B2B.
New stadium, new training facilities and ovals, stand-alone WAFL team, (and a premiership)
this club has all the pieces in place. Can't wait for vision of the stand-alone team and how it serves the 1's compared to previous WAFL teams.

Last edited:

Thought people were finally getting a sense of how under-rated our midfield unit is, after demolishing supposedly stronger units in the finals.

If this is true, it's only so because of how good our other lines are.
We are very strong at the top but probably trail off a bit after Yo,Reddan and Shuey.I still wouldnt really call Gaff a mid,hes more an outside running machine.Sheed is thereabouts but needs to get more consistent;the season is a grind so players like him need to grind.NN will be a huge boost.There are a lot of players who are thereabouts and its a real good chance for somebody like Ainsworth,Brayshaw,AhChee etc to sneak a permanent place in the side.Im like most on here;im verey excited at our depth,but as consistently quoted that depth must get played to A,keep the pressure on and B. to give the depth players hope.Look at Schoey last year,getting dropped but not dropping his head, and ending up being one of our best in a winning side.Without a doubt,how we handle our list is the only thing stopping us going B2B.This is where our coaching staff earn their big bucks!

I think it's still fair to say our midfield lacks depth. A couple of injuries and we are potentially playing Ainsworth.

A fit and firing Shuey, Gaff, Redden and Yeo is a very well rounded starting 4. 2 explosive athletes, a running machine and Reddog able to perform to a high standard in any of the midfield roles. These guys can go toe to toe with any of the other 17 midfields on their day.

I think the acquisitions of Ah Chee and then Smith show we are thinking we need more mature midfield options in the list.

EDIT - Beaten to the punch it seems :tearsofjoy:

mids are the key and our weakest area
Our starting mids are actually pretty awesome now with redden stepping up.
Depth is the problem and i was hoping for pickett but smith can run through there,rioli could be one of our best mids if given an extended run there
Its not really a weakness anymore and besides i think we showed a powerhouse midfield will lose out to a more balanced team

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mids are the key and our weakest area
Yet we won a premiership? Go figure?
But yes, I understand what you're saying - always room for improvement!
(Gaff back, and if Sheed, Venables, Rioli improve, Ahchee? Mallen?..and anyone else they might trial thru the mid)
Imagine Kelly coming in for 2020..the monster midfield!?

I still wouldnt really call Gaff a mid,hes more an outside running machine.

You are kidding right? He is an All Australian midfielder. Not every mid needs to be inside, in fact you dont want a midfield with nothing but inside. Gaffy took his game to another level in 2018 and did improve his ball extracting and goal kicking ability but to call him 'not really a midfielder' when he plays 100% of his on ground time in the centre line and is one of the best in the league is rubbish.
I agree midfield depth is a little low but its worth mentioning the forgotten man- Hutch. 2018 best shutdown mid by a fair stretch and pretty much a lock. Add to that the impact Rioli has and his demonstrated running ability, throw in guys like Cole, Duggan, Nelson and Ahchee, we could develop some real depth this year if these guys show the sort of development Reds and Yeo did in 2018.

So yesterday’s session after driving through peak hour traffic to get to Lathlain by 8.40

Players doing their usual stretching as I get there.

• Masten and Cameron running the boundary so guess they’re not going to be involved
• Barrass with main group for now which is good to see
• Ainsworth on mcg and Williams doing rehab. Williams must have looked up Karl Langdon, seen the resemblance and gone back to ginger rather than dyed blonde hair. Makes him harder to recognise
• Venners running boundary. This is a progression from previous sessions where he’s either been absent or just walking
• A AFLX ground marked out on each oval for competitive work. Playing with Gaelic footy style round balls now - wtf
• No JK and haven’t spotted Hickey or Brooksby
• Gov out there but wandering around doing sfa
• Waterman? Can’t see him
• Ball movement drill now with players defending to provide pressure - Mutimer getting more involved than usual
• Oscar Allen is super competitive. A pass directed to him was intercepted due to an off target kick, upset he bowls into Riach knocking him on his arse. Later he was determined to get a loose contested ball. There’s something about this kid that makes you confident he’s going to be something special
• Tb doing run throughs now as contact work has started
• Bines lays a solid tackle on Hurn taking him to the ground and earns praise from his teammates
• Good mark by Achee opposed to Hurn
• Hammer (Brayshaw)working hard. He’s had a good session
• Nothing wrong with Ryan’s wheels. Tank is an issue but when he gets going is quite a sight
• Simmo questioning Pratt why jetts doing kick in during match sim. Didn’t hear the answer but Simmo adamant we want him across half back rather than taking the goal square kick
• Rotham beats darling one out in a marking contest
• Looks like we’ve got one of the umpires at training as he’s blowing the whistle as if it’s a game. #freekickeagles
• Arch has been impressive
• Notice the change to the 50m rule where players no longer have to wait for the umpire to set the new mark - players are just bolting off their line and playing on. Going to make a difference once the season starts
• Session coming to an end - Ainsworth doing some ball handling work with an assistant but not using left hand

Come 10.30 or thereabouts and they’re finishing up so just under 2 hours which is a bit shorter than previous sessions. Credit to the players who happily sign autographs for the waiting kids even though they’re hot and sweaty. Darling even holds a baby for a photo without dropping it
So glad to hear hammer is training well! My man...

1*q_n7hei3bVKCmyO-yU__vA.gif
It took me a few minutes to remember what that acronym meant.

Im not as optimistic regarding Matty Allen but I'm not a regular WAFL watcher either. From the Tv games I've seen he seems to get most of his possessions linking up rather than in congestion or at stoppages. For his size and frame he needs to dominate at stoppages as they're better link up options for us. That said that link up style is the style we play and it could possibly help him land a role as a HFF in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back