Games that left you shell shocked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 22 1996, Hawks v Melbourne in the "Merger Match", Dunstall kicks his 100th for the Season (10 marks, 10 goals!), Hawks win by a point, I was an emotional wreck, couldn't even speak until 30 mins after the game...

You're not at all ashamed of the indecent haste shown by your club, in the race to return to mediocrity?

Proving my first post in this thread true remarkably well. You were nowhere near this pissy towards the bulldogs before that prelim shellshocked you.

2009 Bulldogs vs Hawthorn.

Hawks reigning premiers, we were 13 goal 10 behinds at halftime to the Hawks 4 behinds. Seemed to come from nowhere, we couldn't believe it especially considering Hodge, Franklin, Mitchell, Lewis and Roughy were playing.

North's comeback vs Essendon in the 2014 Elimination Final

I still never think we'll win when I watch the replay

Round 22 1996, Hawks v Melbourne in the "Merger Match", Dunstall kicks his 100th for the Season (10 marks, 10 goals!), Hawks win by a point, I was an emotional wreck, couldn't even speak until 30 mins after the game...

Was 6 years old and the first game I ever saw live. Right in front of Chief when he kicked his 100th too. Pretty crazy first game to see.

Melbourne vs St Kilda round 1, 2007. I was so pumped about our team. We had great young talent like Jones, McLean, Sylvia, Rivers, Davey and had played in the finals 3 years in a row. Such a demoralising, underwhelming game that was the first step in years of disappointment.

Melbourne vs St Kilda round 1, 2007. I was so pumped about our team. We had great young talent like Jones, McLean, Sylvia, Rivers, Davey and had played in the finals 3 years in a row. Such a demoralising, underwhelming game that was the first step in years of disappointment.
Contrast to the last meeting in 2006 where you knocked them out of the finals.

23 points down at half time too.

St Kilda’s 92-10 in the first half of the game against Richmond at Etihad Stadium in 2017. Wtf was that?
After that game we were behind you guys only by percentage on the ladder. Since then you’ve won a flag and made a prelim, we missed finals and then won 4 games on our way to finishing 3rd bottom...
Ahh being a saints supporter!

Ess kicked 15.4.94 in the 1st quarter in a game v's GC a few years ago at Marvel. Biggest first Q score ever?

Bad:

Round 19 2009...Dogs 3rd v WCE 13th at Docklands. Won Medallion Club tickets and watched the Dogs go goalless until time on in the 2nd quarter, when the score was 0.11 to 9.3. Despite such a shocking start, the Dogs hit the front twice in the last quarter until the Frenchman LeCras kicked the game winner. Left the game as shocked as after the 1997 Prelim choke against Darren Jarman.

Good:

1997 Qualifying Final v Sydney....Dogs kicked 9 goals to nothing to blow the Swans out of the water. Had never seen anything like it in a final, especially from the dour Bulldogs team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2008 is a mental scar all Geelong supporters will carry to our graves.
It helped a little winning 09/11 but I probably would have sacrificed 09 or 11 if it meant we got to take down Hawthorn that day.

On my little bro's birthday (Hawks tragic from birth) in about 2005, we played Port in port and we were only about 15-20 points down at half time and playing alright despite being tipped to be absolutely blown away (we were in crap form, I think Crawford and a few of our better players were out, and we were playing the reigning premiers at home). Anyway, as it turned out, the young players were stepping up for us and Port were not firing at all really. We sat in the lounge with hot chocolate at half time talking about how this was bound to be a close one, or maybe the upset of the year.

Second half: switched off after 4-5 minutes with my 8 year-old brother in tears. I've never seen the Hawks throw in the towel like that since, thank christ.

I joked to a friend of mine during the Port v Gold Coast game at Footy Park in 2011 that Gold Coast will come back and win while they were 5 or so goals down.

And it actually happened. I was so shocked and so satisfied at the same time :D.

2013 we blew a ******* 52 point lead to Brizzy at the GABBA where McGrath goaled after the siren from 60. Led by about 38 at 3qtr time too.

I looked like my Avatar at the end of the game.

2013 we blew a ******* 52 point lead to Brizzy at the GABBA where McGrath goaled after the siren from 60. Led by about 38 at 3qtr time too.

I looked like my Avatar at the end of the game.

Everybody knows you are an eagles fan AB. The “we” isn’t fooling anyone

There were a stretch of games in 2011:

R19: Geelong def. Melbourne by 186
R20: Geelong def. GCS by 150, AND Collingwood def. Port by 138
R21: Hawks def. Port by 165

Previously we'd only had two 150+ wins in the seventeen years since switching to 20 minute quarters. The gap in ability that season was huge.

Our game last year against Richmond in R4 last year. It was the only game of ours I could attend during my holidays, and after watching us get belted by 138 the last time I saw us live, I was hoping for a decent showing. Didn't expect to win, but we'd put in a competitive effort in our first 3 games.

Had to wait until well into the 3rd to see us score a goal, and only finished with two for the match... yay? That game broke me as a fan.

Watching a 19 year old Judd win a game off his own boot by half time against Brisbane in 2003. Never been so blown away by a performance by any Eagle and at such a young age.

I joked to a friend of mine during the Port v Gold Coast game at Footy Park in 2011 that Gold Coast will come back and win while they were 5 or so goals down.

And it actually happened. I was so shocked and so satisfied at the same time :D.
Did the same to my brother the night back in 2013 when your lot came back against North. We were on our way home, saw the score through the window of a pub with 5mins left on the clock, and he said "well that ones over".....I said back to him "haha yeah but imagine if Adelaide come back and win?" jokingly as we had debated whether to stay on longer at another pub we were at earlier to watch the 2nd half of that match. Just as we got home and turned on the TV the final siren rang and we sat there gobsmacked at the scoreline.

There was a game in 2014 I think when the Saints (who were last I think) played Freo at Docklands (who were near the top) . Saints pulverised them from start to finish.

Usually at least one of those wtf games a season though, ( Saints v tigers 2017 e.g) where the losing fans trot out the 'virus through the team' excuse afterwards.

The biggest swans one for mine wasnt the quartet of classics in the 05 series, but rather the 2003 qualifying final between us and Port. We were a steady team and had done well but no one gave us a snowballs chance in hell. We were Buster Douglas and they were Mike Tyson.
I was listening on the radio during a family holiday and my jaw dropped further and further as we kicked goal after goal during that second quarter.

148 was shocking (didn’t think we’d win but thought we’d make a contest after the debacle vs Port the prior week and all the talk about what a great pre-season we had), last year’s prelim as well, my first final which I paid through the nose to attend and we got slaughtered. Was sitting with a group of Dees fans on the wing while the rest of the stadium was going nuts, a chastening experience to say the least.

The flip side was when we beat Essendon in 2012, they were on the gear at the point in the season with an 8-1 to 9-0 record. When we met them we had the worst coach in the club’s history but we somehow beat them, with Col Garland playing a Wayne Careyesque cameo in the final quarter to put them away. Still remember the last minute, Hird watching in horror from the box, as James Sellar cleared their last attack and then attacking upfield to close it out. Was the one and only game Neeld won versus a non-expansion club in his tenure at the MFC.

We have had some good ones aye, I was at both those games. Also our 1st win with the top ups in 2016 was another wtf game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back