2019 Rookie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

For all discussions around the lifeblood of our teams, our cash cows.

Please share your teams news from pre-season training and link any rookie related articles you come across.

I'll start with Port Adelaide.

Word from people who've been watching training, as well as interviews with coaching staff have revealed several options from Port.

Connor Rozee - Pick 5, will play round one. Silky, quick mover, great overhead mark. DPP Forward and Defender. Pick him.
Zac Butters - Pick 12. A very strong chance to play round 1 also. They love the look of this guy. Slight of frame but goes in hard. Played in a senior flag at 17.Mid only.
Xavier Duursma - Pick 18. Don't know a huge amount about his pres-season, but assistant coach Jarred Schofield mentioned that Hinkley was keen to have all three first rounders playing the opening game of the season. He must be doing something right. DPP Defender/Mid.
Boyd Woodcock - Played in an SANFL senior premiership in 2018, kicking three goals. Has impressed and could get a chance this year in a pressure forward position. DPP Forward/Mid.

2nd/3rd year players still rookie priced.

Joe Atley - Missed most of last year to injury. Ollie Wines injury has opened up a spot in the midfield that could be his in the short term. Mid only.
Willem Drew - That old cliche "Flying this pre-season". Missed all of last year with a foot injury. Has grown to now be a 192cm, pushing 90kg inside mid bull. High hopes for this kid. DPP Forward/Mid.

Great insight DaTBird and it will be invaluable to get this type of intel from all clubs.
Would be a big ask to have all three first round picks playing in round 1 but I wonder if they would ALL continue to get games other than Rozee.

I'll offer what I can with the Hawks:

2018 Draftees:
- Jacob Koschitzke and Matt Walker. Personally, I'd be surprised if either play much this year (maybe 1-2 games). If either of them get brought into the team, don't pick them as I very much doubt they'll stick around. This is fairly endemic of any Hawks draftee of the last decade. I think the only ones who really came in a stayed are Hill and Worpel (and Worpel went back to the 2s for a bit).

2018 Rookies:
- Will Golds, Damon Greaves, as above. Tim Mohr ($212K) may see some games if injuries crop up, but I doubt very much he'll be fantasy relevant.

2nd / 3rd Year Players:
- Dylan Moore (FWD, $157K). Had an awesome back end of 2018 in the VFL, including a total of 7 goals in the prelim and grand finals. Small / medium forward who works up the ground, very very good running power and endurance. Surprisingly good above his head. I'm expecting him to get a few games this year, but there's definitely some question marks on his job security.
- Mitch Lewis (FWD, $158K). Key position forward, played 2 games in 2018 (for not much return). Noticeably bigger after this off-season, and the rookie priced player most likely to get a gig and stick around a little in the Hawks 22. Was almost always good for his 3 goals per game (it almost became a meme in the BHH game day threads) at VFL level, and the Hawks do need a succession plan for Roughead. Key forwards never score too well, however, so I wouldn't be backing him on the field.
- Jack Scrimshaw (DEF, $171K). Former pick 7, stalled at Gold Coast. Obviously talented (effectively a Birchall clone). Has had a slower pre-season, with the rehab group, and at this point is more likely to be an earlier downgrade target than a starter
- Oliver Hanrahan (FWD, $157K). Small forward, who unfortunately is sitting behind Bruest, Puopolo, Wingard, Morrison, Minchington (maybe) in the pecking order. May get some games during the season, but not a real option for me.

Other younger / cheaper players likely to feature are Cousins, Minchington, Pittonet, Nash, and Glass, however, they're all awkwardly priced (Cousins aside, who I've discussed in the mid pricers thread) and thus not really worth considering.

I'll offer what I can with the Hawks:

2018 Draftees:
- Jacob Koschitzke and Matt Walker. Personally, I'd be surprised if either play much this year (maybe 1-2 games). If either of them get brought into the team, don't pick them as I very much doubt they'll stick around. This is fairly endemic of any Hawks draftee of the last decade. I think the only ones who really came in a stayed are Hill and Worpel (and Worpel went back to the 2s for a bit).

2018 Rookies:
- Will Golds, Damon Greaves, as above. Tim Mohr ($212K) may see some games if injuries crop up, but I doubt very much he'll be fantasy relevant.

2nd / 3rd Year Players:
- Dylan Moore (FWD, $157K). Had an awesome back end of 2018 in the VFL, including a total of 7 goals in the prelim and grand finals. Small / medium forward who works up the ground, very very good running power and endurance. Surprisingly good above his head. I'm expecting him to get a few games this year, but there's definitely some question marks on his job security.
- Mitch Lewis (FWD, $158K). Key position forward, played 2 games in 2018 (for not much return). Noticeably bigger after this off-season, and the rookie priced player most likely to get a gig and stick around a little in the Hawks 22. Was almost always good for his 3 goals per game (it almost became a meme in the BHH game day threads) at VFL level, and the Hawks do need a succession plan for Roughead. Key forwards never score too well, however, so I wouldn't be backing him on the field.
- Jack Scrimshaw (DEF, $171K). Former pick 7, stalled at Gold Coast. Obviously talented (effectively a Birchall clone). Has had a slower pre-season, with the rehab group, and at this point is more likely to be an earlier downgrade target than a starter
- Oliver Hanrahan (FWD, $157K). Small forward, who unfortunately is sitting behind Bruest, Puopolo, Wingard, Morrison, Minchington (maybe) in the pecking order. May get some games during the season, but not a real option for me.

Other younger / cheaper players likely to feature are Cousins, Minchington, Pittonet, Nash, and Glass, however, they're all awkwardly priced (Cousins aside, who I've discussed in the mid pricers thread) and thus not really worth considering.
Not a lot to get excited about from the Hawks H R. :(

Great insight DaTBird and it will be invaluable to get this type of intel from all clubs.
Would be a big ask to have all three first round picks playing in round 1 but I wonder if they would ALL continue to get games other than Rozee.

The word from inside the club is that they are being give as much chance as the senior players. Patience has run out with a lot of them and they have to earn their spot just like everyone else.

Not a lot to get excited about from the Hawks H R. :(

Not on the rookie front, but plenty of enticing options elsewhere on the field.

But that's the Hawks way - often rookie priced players come in for a few games, then back to the VFL. They then play a good chunk of the following season, but their starting price is by then inflated

Hopefully both Caldwell and Hateley become options with Ward and Kellys absences this preseason

They'll be an interesting unit this year for fantasy football, GWS

Caldwell was talked up yesterday by Delidio on radio

Haven't watched them yet, but thought Hateley had been given a wing role, was a bit of noise on him last week

With Caldwell, is he a half forward type or midfield too?
Caldwell is a midfielder, and a very very good one at the junior level. Hately is an inside mid, doubt he plays as a winger at AFL level. He will play forward with stints in the middle.

Caldwell is a midfielder, and a very very good one at the junior level. Hately is an inside mid, doubt he plays as a winger at AFL level. He will play forward with stints in the middle.
I think I'm keen on both compared to say Butters though, but I'd probably dump Caldwell if Cousins was a red hot option as I'd say Cousins would average 70-75-80

Hately said he was out on the wing though

IMG_20190308_100704.png

I think I'm keen on both compared to say Butters though, but I'd probably dump Caldwell if Cousins was a red hot option as I'd say Cousins would average 70-75-80

View attachment 631259
I think that you are underestimating Butters. He has more chance of getting some midfield time than Hately and even Caldwell in the longer term.

View attachment 631259
Not surprising that he also mentions that he hopes to push for inside minutes in the same sentence. He's much more inside bull than outside class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that you are underestimating Butters. He has more chance of getting some midfield time than Hately and even Caldwell in the longer term.
If Butters has well and truly replaced Polec then happy days

It's that they have a lot of flanker types already who could push up onto a wing too that I'm not sure about in regards to his job security

And not to mention Hinkley never giving young lads a chance.
Young talls he rarely gives games too, see Frampton and Hayes last year even though the opportunity was there to pump 5-10 games into them

Over the years certain types have been dudded like Amon and Eddy but others like DBJ and Houston have been solid picks too, depends on the role perhaps.

I would trust Ken over say a Brad Scott type though in regards to rookies. Brad simply just doesn't rate youth even if they're banging the door down in the VFL. I don't rate Clarko with rookies job security either, he'll give them a taste of it early then they'll have to grind their way in the VFL for however long he seems fit.

Young talls he rarely gives games too, see Frampton and Hayes last year even though the opportunity was there to pump 5-10 games into them

Over the years certain types have been dudded like Amon and Eddy but others like DBJ and Houston have been solid picks too, depends on the role perhaps.

I would trust Ken over say a Brad Scott type though in regards to rookies. Brad simply just doesn't rate youth even if they're banging the door down in the VFL. I don't rate Clarko with rookies job security either, he'll give them a taste of it early then they'll have to grind their way in the VFL for however long he seems fit.

Clarko's better for the speculative mid-pricer ready for a breakout in his 2nd or 3rd year after having played 2-8 games

Hopefully both Caldwell and Hateley become options with Ward and Kellys absences this preseason

They'll be an interesting unit this year for fantasy football, GWS
I hate when rookies get a game rd 1 off the back of a few senior players missing who will be back imminently. Say 1 gets picked and Ward were on track to return rd 2/3, its so hard to know where their JS is.

Clark with Thouey not far away etc

Giants have never really be averse to giving younger players games, even with their star-studded team. If young players are good enough, they'll get exposed early.

I hate when rookies get a game rd 1 off the back of a few senior players missing who will be back imminently. Say 1 gets picked and Ward were on track to return rd 2/3, its so hard to know where their JS is.

Clark with Thouey not far away etc
A coach like Brad Scott would dump them for a senior player to return, but imo others will keep their gun kids in

No point in giving a kid one or two games, performs well then they're dropped. Just shatters their confidence.

Hayes would have played last year if he hadn't done his ACL.

All three of Butters, Duursma and Rozee have been named in an unchanged line up to take on North Melbourne tomorrow. They've dropped the extras too, so it will be a standard 22. Michael Voss said this morning that the team has been picked on form and the strongest available.

It is as good as 100% the starting lineup for round 1, with Dixon, Hartlett and Wines missing through injury.

Good signs for the rookies indeed. And Willem Drew who is rookie priced.

View attachment 631259

Ken is big-time hard for Butters.

Has talked him up like the 2nd coming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back