Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Every season you need to change your list and your squad of 22 each season to keep on improving. I see at least five players that can come in and make an impact this season, and more importantly make us that 5%- 10% even better.
Definitely a fit Moore and Elliott come in, Quaynor will play round 1, and already looks like he will add to our run and carry from D50. Wills looks fit and ready to make an impact, after a disappointing last year or two. Roughead also will add to our stocks and impact this year as a swingman, preferably down back.

Massive Call saying Rupe be better then Brody

A quick heads up TD you misspelled silly!

One’s spent 8 years as a KPP at state league level or higher and performed at a very reasonable standard and the other is a big bodied mid that’s being given a change of role to revitalise a stalled career.

It’s a great move from the club and encouragingly Wills seems to be giving it everything he has, but to say he’s ahead of the incumbent FF of a GF team is nonsense.

A quick heads up TD you misspelled silly!

One’s spent 8 years as a KPP at state league level or higher and performed at a very reasonable standard and the other is a big bodied mid that’s being given a change of role to revitalise a stalled career.

It’s a great move from the club and encouragingly Wills seems to be giving it everything he has, but to say he’s ahead of the incumbent FF of a GF team is nonsense.

Great last roll of the dice for Rupert.......I called for this two years ago......I sound like the Gimp now re.

Great last roll of the dice for Rupert.......I called for this two years ago......I sound like the Gimp now re.

Not seen him play KPF yet so He still could be a Bust There.

I worry about his Spee

Not seen him play KPF yet so He still could be a Bust There.

I worry about his Spee

Leading patterns and speed are big concerns for me too.

For instance if he’s in the fwd line against McGovern in Rd 3 I’m not convinced he has the pace or tricks to drag McGovern up the field with him to create space in behind. If he does there’s no way he’ll out position him on the way back in, IMO.

Like CFC I’m a big fan of the move in general because it gives us another option for when Reid inevitably goes down and if the form of Mihocek or Cox falters. It’s definitely better than him seeing out his career with us down the pecking order of one of the most stacked midfields the games ever seen. It also doesn’t prevent him rolling through the middle if injuries do hit. Good signs all round 👍

Think along the lines of Rene Kink Dave - not super fast but very effective because of his sheer power.

Kink played in a Totally Different Ere a Footy.

Wills could be a Gun back in those Days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really dave
Better below the knees
Quicker
Stronger
Suits our game plan IMO with his frontal pressure
Think checkers a bit limited
I’ll take the guy kicking (proven) near 30 goals in about half a season.

Brody Mihocek

Turned 26 early this month

Games 16
Goals 29

Disposals average 11.6
Marks average 4.9

At 6’4” and plays tall.

Has done very very well. Has earned his keep.

I admit, I’m surprised at how well he picked up the tempo, I’d have thought he’ll play a few games or so then mainly be a VFL type.
Got it so wrong. He looks and plays like a real senior regular player. Funds the goals.
And it’s the way he can play to the tempo of high level senior footy. A terrific foil to for our forward line.

A real surprise for 2018, well may it continue.
(And technically he could play back too.)

Dave the type of power that Wills and Sier can exert crosses all boundaries of age and era.

Too much emphasis is put on speed nowadays and it often comes at the cost of quality ball movement.

I feel flat for bursting the nostalgia bubble, but a guy like Kink or any smaller KPF that relies on power in the contest wouldn’t last at the top level in 2019 unless they have a good first few steps and fantastic leading patterns. Sier for instance doesn’t rely just on power he has exceptional spatial awareness, reads the play well, has a quick first step and good lateral movement. All of which make him a good driver in heavy traffic as Jeansy would say.

Any guy in that 190-193cm bracket as a forward that isn’t quick off the mark will also struggle against the 195cm+ defenders. Guys like Moore, Talia, Blicavs or Andrews would have the reach and athleticism advantage, they can go with a guy like Wills at ground level and the game has moved beyond 1 v 1 battles of strength I50. The last of that breed able to impact consistently is Hawkins and the last I remember getting drafted was Boyd (we all know how that’s worked out).

I’m definitely still a fan of the move because I think it could enable us to exploit teams with another midfield option if we want to play “small ball” (against teams with big back lines like Essendon, Melbourne and St Kilda this intrigues me) and if others are unavailable or off the boil.

The power profile for AFL in 2019 is JDG. He’s a match for the big blokes in the wrestle and too nimble for them when the ball hits the deck. He’s also too strong in the air for small and mid sized defenders. If he can continue to improve his forward craft and become more selfish he’s capable of 80 goal seasons, IMO, but bringing others into the game is better for the team. Apologies for the wall of text...

Wills was trialled as a forward late last VFL season for a quarter here or there. He didn't look a natural forward and never really got involved in the game. While that may improve with a benefit of a preseason he probably needs to be more of a defensive forward (think Macaffer in 2010). Wills has the tackling ability, but does he have the pace and ability to threaten the scoreboard?

To give an idea of numbers Macaffer who's VFL forward craft was much higher (38 goals in 2008) kicked 16g 14b as an AFL defensive forward in 2010. Hardly huge numbers, but Macaffer paired it with 322 disposals and a whopping 98 tackles. Although shorter Greenwood and Blair both played games forward in recent years, which suggests there could be a role there.

I feel flat for bursting the nostalgia bubble, but a guy like Kink or any smaller KPF that relies on power in the contest wouldn’t last at the top level in 2019 unless they have a good first few steps and fantastic leading patterns. Sier for instance doesn’t rely just on power he has exceptional spatial awareness, reads the play well, has a quick first step and good lateral movement. All of which make him a good driver in heavy traffic as Jeansy would say.

Any guy in that 190-193cm bracket as a forward that isn’t quick off the mark will also struggle against the 195cm+ defenders. Guys like Moore, Talia, Blicavs or Andrews would have the reach and athleticism advantage, they can go with a guy like Wills at ground level and the game has moved beyond 1 v 1 battles of strength I50. The last of that breed able to impact consistently is Hawkins and the last I remember getting drafted was Boyd (we all know how that’s worked out).

I’m definitely still a fan of the move because I think it could enable us to exploit teams with another midfield option if we want to play “small ball” (against teams with big back lines like Essendon, Melbourne and St Kilda this intrigues me) and if others are unavailable or off the boil.

The power profile for AFL in 2019 is JDG. He’s a match for the big blokes in the wrestle and too nimble for them when the ball hits the deck. He’s also too strong in the air for small and mid sized defenders. If he can continue to improve his forward craft and become more selfish he’s capable of 80 goal seasons, IMO, but bringing others into the game is better for the team. Apologies for the wall of text...
All good Sco although I disagree - sheer brute power and the willingness to use it physically will open many more doors on the field than you might imagine.

There are more than a few that will start taking those short steps when a mean tank grabs the pill lol.

I'm not so worried about our forward options. We know that Sidey, Beams, Thomas, WHE all push forward and could rotate with JDG, Elliot and perhaps for small stints even Stephenson through the middle. We've got a couple of tall-ish options in Mihocek and WHE, Cox and Grundy and then a rolling midfield hybrid.

We have coined the 'Midward' group. Or the 'Formids'. Maybe that's it. Our lads are 'Formid'-able.

Ah yes it is "formidable"

If we have a better injury run this year (which is likely - no team can have sustained injuries year on year like we had last year and in previous years) logic will tell us it will turn at some point and looks to be promising this pre season.

Because we have multiple players that are versatile in role play that gives us superior depth compared to most teams.

What we lacked last season in available personnel should improve and if it does then I think we'll have the opposition guessing even more so than last season.

In saying that it is no secret that our main weapon is our game style, pressure to win the ball and then spread with transition speed - it's not personnel reliant like a wc is.

I have a sneaky premonition that we'll bury teams this year - heavily 2011 style, for two reasons. The burn from the loss and the fact of our game style is so reliable.

I'm not saying our list is as a good as that team, far from it but we have better depth for medium to fringe players combined with a decent amount of A graders and will boldly say that Sides is now an elite.

All that equals up to a contending if not dominating team, kudos to the coaching panel - with almost zero list change from 2017 they've taken this team to realizing (almost) potential.

If we have a better injury run this year (which is likely - no team can have sustained injuries year on year like we had last year and in previous years) logic will tell us it will turn at some point and looks to be promising this pre season.

Because we have multiple players that are versatile in role play that gives us superior depth compared to most teams.

What we lacked last season in available personnel should improve and if it does then I think we'll have the opposition guessing even more so than last season.

In saying that it is no secret that our main weapon is our game style, pressure to win the ball and then spread with transition speed - it's not personnel reliant like a wc is.

I have a sneaky premonition that we'll bury teams this year - heavily 2011 style, for two reasons. The burn from the loss and the fact of our game style is so reliable.

I'm not saying our list is as a good as that team, far from it but we have better depth for medium to fringe players combined with a decent amount of A graders and will boldly say that Sides is now an elite.

All that equals up to a contending if not dominating team, kudos to the coaching panel - with almost zero list change from 2017 they've taken this team to realizing (almost) potential.

I like the possitivity. I do think our depth in 2011 was fine though. The year prior it was probably our biggest advantage over the Saints whose bottom 6 lacked quality.

All good Sco although I disagree - sheer brute power and the willingness to use it physically will open many more doors on the field than you might imagine.

There are more than a few that will start taking those short steps when a mean tank grabs the pill lol.

Wills weighs the same as Beams according to our website, not exactly a brute.

I like the possitivity. I do think our depth in 2011 was fine though. The year prior it was probably our biggest advantage over the Saints whose bottom 6 lacked quality.

Agree with this, the bottom six of the Saints was terrible. They were always going to be exposed. I always thought it was a bloody indictment on our coaching staff that they managed to draw with us in the first grannie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back