AFLX 2019 , Buddy , Danger , Dusty , Fyfe captains 50k payday

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed they don't just have regular teams playing AFL-X, this gimmicky "CAPTAIN SPECIAL POWERS" crap doesn't interest me at all.

Hope they revert to traditional AFL-X next year so Melbourne can defend their title.

"Traditional AFLX" is quite possibly the funniest thing I have heard today.

Nobody thinks about State Of Origin beyond typing the words. Victoria wins. There is no contest. It made perfect sense before the AFL formed, but it's pointless now. People need to learn to let it go.
You can say whatever you want about AFLX, but it's something different, the best players will be involved and it only takes up one day of the AFL calendar.

In a 22 a side game, probably, but with half of the players it would be more equalised. Also in an AFL X format the games are short, so results can be more randomised, and let's be honest....people wouldn't be taking it seriously.

View attachment 616835

from what i understand having read comments on twitter, etc. if you pre-order these now they won't be delivered until april, long after the one-off aflx night has come, gone, and been forgotten about. what the ****?

am I the only one that is reminded of this

1549688056680.png

when I look at Riewoldt's logo?

At my high school there was this wacky phys-ed teacher who had invented his own sport. It was a bit like hockey except you used tennis rackets to hit around a soccer ball and after every goal you had to run to the end of the gym and climb a rope before continuing, and in the middle of the field was an upturned wheelie bin which either team could score from and it was 5 pts if you got the ball in there.

We later found out the wacky phys ed teacher with his wacky game was a kiddy fiddler.

Just goes to show..

This whole for kids is just spin from the AFL to save embarrassment from their original idea of taking the game overseas to play on smaller sized grounds.
Not only are kids asleep by 10pm when the Grand Final is, they will have an extremely difficult time working out the complex rules and by the time they work it out they’ll be in bed or over it.
A 3 and a half hour night, kids and the parents of kids say no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baum hits the nail!

X fails to mark the spot

Greg Baum

Marvel Stadium is Australia’s version of the magic lands at the top of Enid Blyton’s Faraway Tree. Last week’s cricket BBL fantasy land has moved on, to be replaced by an enchanted realm called AFLX. I do so hope that Joe, Beth and Fanny made it down in time for tea.
X sounds like a truly marvellous place, “with an action packed line-up of activities including rock climbing walls, face painting, balloon artists, roving entertainment, giveaways plus much more”. That is not Blyton, but the AFL website.
It may or may not also feature football; at the time of writing, that was like the Faraway Tree, a bit up in the cloudy air.

But enough of the facts. The question now about X is the one mathematicians ask: what is it?
Is it for players? No, they’re racing for the exits in their droves, giving rise to fears about a quorum. Star turn of the roving entertainment: the astonishing disappearing footballer. For every giveaway, a getaway, up over the climbing wall. A batch from Hawthorn appear to have developed “general soreness” in advance. Port Adelaide’s Robbie Gray felt a hamstring coming on weeks ago.
Is it for fans? If so, they’re scarcely racing for the entrances in droves. Ticket prices have been reduced, and AFL members can get in for free. So can kids. It’s the modern sports administrator’s infallible, all-purpose, go-everywhere, no-questions-asked alibi: it’s all for the kiddies.

But poor darlings: they’ve barely let the air out of their thundersticks and now they’re going to have to paint their faces all over again.
Is it for women? Can’t be, or else the AFL wouldn’t stage it at the same time as its still emerging women’s competition, surely? Surely?
Is it for TV? Well, der. But only a bit. The AFLX draft was pre-recorded and put to air 24 hours later, and no-one tumbled to it. You’d think that someone would have cared enough to leak it ...
Is it to promote the game in the non-AFL states? That is, can they be lured away from their long-established, culturally-embedded contact football codes by AFL lite, sans the game’s two most distinct and saleable elements, 360-degree contact and high marking, in other words a shadow version of a code they don’t understand and don’t much care for anyway?
Is X for the international market, as we’re told, because it fits on a soccer pitch? But it occurs to us that there already is a code that is played on a soccer pitch, and it has built up quite a following of its own around the world, and if you give it a bit of time will probably do very well. It’s called soccer.
Is it specifically to expose the game in China? Um, do you think there’s much about the AFL that China doesn’t already know? Chances are there is a hacker or two in China who by now knows more about AFL than Leigh Matthews.
A game that works quite well on a soccer pitch.Credit:MARTIN MEISSNER
Is X for the AFL itself? Emphatically, yes. We think. Maybe. Perhaps. They’ll get back to us. Last year, the X series was between all 18 real teams across three nights, in three cities. This year, it’s four scratch teams, one city and one night, or as the AFL puts it, trying to make it sound preciously scarce, “one night only”.
That looks and sounds very much like what economists would call “negative growth”. That looks and sounds very much like the AFL saying what it has never said before: we were, um, you know, wro… wron …
Right, as we always are, except for the number of teams, the venues, the format and the rules.
This year, AFLX is all new, as distinct from last year, when it was all new. The teams will have funky names and guernseys. The stars are going to dress up as superheroes, or in Patrick Dangerfield’s case, dress down as a superhero. There’s going to be on each team a nominated game-changer, whose scores will count for double in the last five minutes, and no Carlton, you can’t have one.
There’s going to be … oh, honestly, who cares? With the big dance just around the corner, who among clubs, players and fans really gives a stuff about a pajama party? Why have we been tricked into allowing it to take up even this many column centimetres? It must be the kids.
The AFL can hype and pipe all it wants, but the true unknown about X is why?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/x-fails-to-mark-the-spot-20190220-p50z4b.html

Last edited:
Just going to have a guess as to how play will unfold tonight.

1. kick- kick at goal
2. kick- handball- kick at goal
3. handball- handball- handball- kick at goal
4. kick- kick- hand off to 20pt player who kicks at goal
5. commentators will over commentate

Commentators will keep telling us 'how exciting, exhilarating, fun' it is. Rather than commentate the game and let the game entertain us, they will try and tell us how entertained we should be (well not me, im not watching it)

View attachment 616835

from what i understand having read comments on twitter, etc. if you pre-order these now they won't be delivered until april, long after the one-off aflx night has come, gone, and been forgotten about. what the ****?
Can't blame them. Looks like a *en olympic mens volleyball/cricket uniform.

At my high school there was this wacky phys-ed teacher who had invented his own sport. It was a bit like hockey except you used tennis rackets to hit around a soccer ball and after every goal you had to run to the end of the gym and climb a rope before continuing, and in the middle of the field was an upturned wheelie bin which either team could score from and it was 5 pts if you got the ball in there.

We later found out the wacky phys ed teacher with his wacky game was a kiddy fiddler.

Just goes to show..
disgusting story.

Might tune in just to get a bit of a "footy" fix.
Yeah I was going to say something narky like "I'm on a plane for the entire tournament, lucky me" but truth be told (and for all that's wrong with it) I'd watch it tonight.
I think my falling out of love with cricket has something to do with it. Just want something!!

This whole for kids is just spin from the AFL to save embarrassment from their original idea of taking the game overseas to play on smaller sized grounds.
Not only are kids asleep by 10pm when the Grand Final is, they will have an extremely difficult time working out the complex rules and by the time they work it out they’ll be in bed or over it.
A 3 and a half hour night, kids and the parents of kids say no.

My kids aren't watching this!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back