Preview Rnd 1 - Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 23th March 1:45pm

Can't remember but isn't SPP under a club imposed match ban? Although knowing port they'll either not enforce it or make him miss JLT

Last edited:
I think it’ll be complete midfield dominance but we still lost to them last time even though we destroyed them in the middle. Just need to open the game up this time around

Topkent will hate this and i remember him being stubborn at the time... but they kicked 11 goals 9 and 7 of their goals came from dubious umpiring. We still should have won it due to our dominance and we failed to capitalise. My point is they had absolutely nothing going for them offensively against us.

We should smash them this time around.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Topkent will hate this and i remember him being stubborn at the time... but they kicked 11 goals 9 and 7 of their goals came from dubious umpiring. We still should have won it due to our dominance and we failed to capitalise. My point is they had absolutely nothing going for them offensively against us.

I'm so triggered right now

Yeah that game was certainly poorly umpired but our offence was still worse

Yeah that game was certainly poorly umpired but our offence was still worse

Will certainly be a different looking forward line this time round!

That's because our kicking inside 50 was garbage at times an allowed us to be rebounded against and our defence of Omac and Frost wasn't good enough.

If May can settle well early we will look alot better

Also, Frost didn't play against Port. Joel Smith Played as the 2nd KPD Im pretty sure.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Will certainly be a different looking forward line this time round!

Also, Frost didn't play against Port. Joel Smith Played as the 2nd KPD Im pretty sure.
Think you are right. I was deeply pissed off for any number of reasons though that match, and I think he was one of them.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, round 1 can produce some surprising results and I think this could potentially be one of those games. I'm wary of the round 1 match against Port. I'm confident that we'll finish above them this year but I'm not really that confident heading into our first match. Just hoping we get the four points.

We have a pretty tough start to the year. Port, Cats at Kardinia, Essendon, and Swans at the SCG, before Saints and ANZAC Eve. Can't guarantee wins in any of those games - an interstate side at the MCG is honestly our best show so you'd hope they're up for it, and the momentum of a R1 win is crucial for the rest of that month.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
We have a pretty tough start to the year. Port, Cats at Kardinia, Essendon, and Swans at the SCG, before Saints and ANZAC Eve. Can't guarantee wins in any of those games - an interstate side at the MCG is honestly our best show so you'd hope they're up for it, and the momentum of a R1 win is crucial for the rest of that month.

Yep. This is on paper the one game you'd mark down as a gimme.

Knowing us we'll lose to Port, Geelong beat us after the siren again then we beat Essendon by 80.

Knowing us we'll lose to Port, Geelong beat us after the siren again then we beat Essendon by 80.
If we flog Essendon by 80 on a Friday night at the MCG I don't care what happens in the first two games tbh.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Is Friday night the traditional “prestigious” timeslot of the week?

Actually the traditional footy slot was Saturday afternoon in Melbourne but with the whole TV ratings things it has become Friday night. It's the only game of the night where as Saturday now hosts 5 games.

No Wines is big for us. They are above average inside, still decent without him, and have good run around their midfield. If they convert their chances and we don't, we'll find this one tough going.

The season isn't divided into gimmes and tough games though. We're favourites here, but Port will be challenging for the eight. Will only be easy if they're very off and we're very on.

Actually the traditional footy slot was Saturday afternoon in Melbourne but with the whole TV ratings things it has become Friday night. It's the only game of the night where as Saturday now hosts 5 games.
Saturday arvo footy (1:45pm) at the MCG is the peak of footy watching IMO. Can't speak for other grounds, except Etihad where it's the pits.

Back