Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t see why so many are naming Adams in their round one side(s) based off “training reports” and the like when he has only been on modified duties all pre season.:huh:

He is one of the least likely to be named out of our whole squad IMO.

Round 1 is 2 months away. A player doesn't need to have a full pre-season to be in the round 1 team.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t see why so many are naming Adams in their round one side(s) based off “training reports” and the like when he has only been on modified duties all pre season.:huh:

He is one of the least likely to be named out of our whole squad IMO.
I've only named him because Diz may not be fit for round 1. Adams is ahead of Payne in his rehab. Adams is our next best defender on exposed form and if he's ready to go round 1 I reckon there's a good chance he fills in for Diz.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've only named him because Diz may not be fit for round 1. Adams is ahead of Payne in his rehab. Adams is our next best defender on exposed form and if he's ready to go round 1 I reckon there's a good chance he fills in for Diz.
I think Walker and Andrews will be the kpds. Both went well last week (against limited opposition).

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Walker and Andrews will be the kpds. Both went well last week (against limited opposition).
Yeah definitely down to Walker and Adams for the 2nd spot if Dizzy doesn't get up. Adams is an excellent defender when he's fit so he is well and truly in the frame.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah definitely down to Walker and Adams for the 2nd spot if Dizzy doesn't get up. Adams is an excellent defender when he's fit so he is well and truly in the frame.
If Dizzy is fit he is in playing on the 3rd or a medium. He had a cracking year last season.

Walker is going ok, he either really comes along or is good depth. If Adams is strong then Walker can go fwd.

How nice is it to have competition for spots!

Hammo's best 22

B: Luke Hodge -- Sam Skinner -- Darcy Gardiner
HB: Zac Bailey -- Marcus Adams -- Alex Witherden
C: Tom Cutler -- Jarryd Lyons -- Lewis Taylor
HF: Charlie Cameron -- Eric Hipwood -- Cam Raynor
F: Lincoln McCarthy -- Harris Andrews -- Oscar McInerny
R: Archie Smith -- Dayne Zorko -- Lachie Neale
Int: Hugh McCluggage -- Jarrod Berry -- Daniel Rich -- Nick Robertson

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely if Andrews plays forward then he also plays second ruck and we replace O with Robinson or Bundy. Andrews and Oscar are too similar to both play in the same forwardline IMO.

DashinD

All Australian
Sep 5, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely if Andrews plays forward then he also plays second ruck and we replace O with Robinson or Bundy. Andrews and Oscar are too similar to both play in the same forwardline IMO.
If he plays starting forward ie. Not swinging or pinch hitting, he’d probably be replacing one of the talls, McStay maybe?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he plays starting forward ie. Not swinging or pinch hitting, he’d probably be replacing one of the talls, McStay maybe?

But that’s the thing. McStay is a very different key forward to McInerney and Andrews. He’s there to constantly be on the move leading while O is more of just a long target. Andrews will probably somewhere in between but I think he makes Oscar surplus to requirements.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Andrew Hamilton and Michael Whiting both hinting that Harris Andrews is a realistic chance of playing forward, you'd think that besides the viewing of training and match simulations they'd be chatting to coaching staff, their mail could be spot on.

Could be a masterstroke by Fagan and co. similar to Leppitsch shifting back.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Andrew Hamilton and Michael Whiting both hinting that Harris Andrews is a realistic chance of playing forward, you'd think that besides the viewing of training and match simulations they'd be chatting to coaching staff, their mail could be spot on.

I am starting to come round to the idea. We have quite a bit of depth i the backline with Walker, Skinner, Adams, Gardiner and the untried depth in Ballenden and Payne whereas we only have untried depth on the forward line in Ballenden, Fullarton iirc. It would probably push out McStay which is risky as l think he is on the verge of a breakout year however if he was just pinchhitting then they could swap the poisitions of McStay and Andrews for5 or so minutes each quarter to make some headaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think McStay will be in the forward line come round 1 and Andrews will only be used as a pinch hitting forward when and if required.
McStay, on last years form was creating enough opportunity to be given a go. It is only his accuracy that will keep him out of the team. And I think he will be on a short leash in that respect.
I agree with a mayes ing that McStay is on the verge and I reckon the Coaching staff know that too. So he will be given all opportunity IMO.

Last edited:

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought I would have a go at the team for round one based on what has been said or predicted in the media over last week or so from various sources.

Hodge Walker Rich
Witho Adams Bailey

Berry. Neale. Hugh
Martin Lyons Zorko

Cameron Hipwood. Taylor
Mccarthy. Andrews. Rayner

Int: Mitch Robbo, big O, Christensen, nick robbo

Injured: Gardiner

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought I would have a go at the team for round one based on what has been said or predicted in the media over last week or so from various sources.

Hodge Walker Rich
Witho Adams Bailey

Berry. Neale. Hugh
Martin Lyons Zorko

Cameron Hipwood. Taylor
Mccarthy. Andrews. Rayner

Int: Mitch Robbo, big O, Christensen, nick robbo

Injured: Gardiner
I like that starting 22 but have question marks over the following:
a) leaving McStay out of the forward line before he gets to show us what he can bring in season 2019. If he doesn't step up this season early, I believe he will struggle to play AFL anywhere at the highest level. Fingers crossed he gets his head right and becomes a potent key forward for us moving ahead. He has the ability for sure and I believe he will be given every chance to show Fagan & Co before he may be relegated into the NEAFL. Hope not!
b) Adams for me hasn't proven to be a KPB, yet a lot of people claim him to be one. IMO he needs to be integrated into the side gently rather than throwing him in to take the oppositions best or 2nd best KPF from Round 1. Walker is a good chance to take 1 opposition KPF but we need another KPD tall while Dizzy recovers from his injury
c) Harris in the forward line would definitely help take the pressure off Hippy a lot & adds a lot more potency up there immediately. However, can we chance moving a potential AA backman out of there when he is so valuable? My guess is that he will play forward in a "pinch hitting role" like some others have previously said.

mish33

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Lester will surprise a few and be named round 1. Looked good in the couple of practice matches I saw. Was playing on the probables side.
If we get any more injuries, particularly to more established players, I wouldn't be surprised to see Froggy named. He's a good chance to come in for Dizz if neither he or Adams get up.

Lewy is the one I'm interested in. By all reports has plagued some good praccy games, but I also feel like we need a younger, more versatile player in the Starc/T.Berry ilk to take that half forward spot off him.

If we get any more injuries, particularly to more established players, I wouldn't be surprised to see Froggy named. He's a good chance to come in for Dizz if neither he or Adams get up.

Lewy is the one I'm interested in. By all reports has plagued some good praccy games, but I also feel like we need a younger, more versatile player in the Starc/T.Berry ilk to take that half forward spot off him.

Diseased? Bring art yer dead.

ImAFreeMan

All Australian
Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McCarthy looks very good, if he stays injury free it’ll be hard to keep him out of the team! Although is it for Lewy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Linc or Lewy? That is the question.

Depends on where the coaches want to put Lewy as his primary role this season but considering Fages said he wanted more speed in the team, I can see Lewy and McCarthy make the team.

McCarthy (when fit) has some nice pressure and can kick great goals. Lewy has some great accuracy when he shoots for goal and can break the line with speed into the forward half.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sounds like they want to play Squizzy on the wing and Linc up forward and rotating on the ball.

I don't have Squizzy in my best 22 but it sounds like he's had a good pre-season. Might take Cutlers spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back