2019 planning

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the consensus on Taylor Adams? Very cheap for what he’s capable of
If he is played purely through the middle then will score at 105+

Problem is that Pies have a stupid amount of players who can play through the middle and we have seen Adams played in the backline before so that would be the biggest concern. Word in Pies camp is that Pendles will spend less time in the middle and play behind the ball more but then there's still Beams coming in and the rise of Sier/De Goey. Just so much uncertainty in that Pies midfield. Makes it very hard to pick any of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Adams score much better when Treloar wasn't in the side last year?

If he is played purely through the middle then will score at 105+

Problem is that Pies have a stupid amount of players who can play through the middle and we have seen Adams played in the backline before so that would be the biggest concern. Word in Pies camp is that Pendles will spend less time in the middle and play behind the ball more but then there's still Beams coming in and the rise of Sier/De Goey. Just so much uncertainty in that Pies midfield. Makes it very hard to pick any of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Adams score much better when Treloar wasn't in the side last year?
His last 6-8 games were big without Treloar yeah. But then he also scored big in the finals when Treloar came back. It’s a tough one. Could be a top 8 mid who’s dirt cheap to start with, or could just be a high 90’s-low 100’s awkward type

His last 6-8 games were big without Treloar yeah. But then he also scored big in the finals when Treloar came back. It’s a tough one. Could be a top 8 mid who’s dirt cheap to start with, or could just be a high 90’s-low 100’s awkward type
One thing is for sure, he should score at least what he's priced at. Maybe 5 points less at the worst, but upside is pretty good. I was big on him before pre-season, but I just can't justify picking him right now with his versatility. They could play him deep forward, back (DPP for DEF again would be great) and in the mids, but just not sure what Buckley is planning on doing. I get a feeling that it's going to be a bit like Port last season, where they just run everyone through there and only a couple stay in full-time. Hopefully that's Adams, but could be Sidebottom, Treloar, Beams or Pendles as well.

If he plays both JLT games in the centre and scores well with Treloar and Sidey in the middle, I'll pick him. Hoping that Pendles is the one who is pushed out and Beams plays at half-forward, but again, no guarantees.

Yeah but part of me just keeps thinking that finals are a different kettle of fish compared to the regular home and away season games...

Such an awkward price with a fair bit of risk

Yeah but part of me just keeps thinking that finals are a different kettle of fish compared to the regular home and away season games...

Fair call. I’ve got Dusty too, I’m pretty sure he’s going 105 again but there’s some risk there so probably not wise to risk both

Why is it risky?
He won’t go down in price , and may be a top 10 mid for much cheaper.

I’m starting Dusty and TayTay, and will upgrade whichever one doesn’t take the leap, to an Uber premo with cash from a rookie.

Why is it risky?
He won’t go down in price , and may be a top 10 mid for much cheaper.

I’m starting Dusty and TayTay, and will upgrade whichever one doesn’t take the leap, to an Uber premo with cash from a rookie.
All the pies midfielders are risky with the inclusion of Beams and the rise of Sier. Sier plays pure midfield and Beams will in all likelihood play predominately midfield with stints up forward. Treloar played big chunks forward last year, there’s word Pendles will play back a fair bit this year, Adams has played back for large chunks of the season the last two years, there’s Sidey too and to a lesser extent DG getting runs through there. Hell even Wells could somehow get his body right and run through there - although chances are slim.

All the pies midfielders are risky with the inclusion of Beams and the rise of Sier. Sier plays pure midfield and Beams will in all likelihood play predominately midfield with stints up forward. Treloar played big chunks forward last year, there’s word Pendles will play back a fair bit this year, Adams has played back for large chunks of the season the last two years, there’s Sidey too and to a lesser extent DG getting runs through there. Hell even Wells could somehow get his body right and run through there - although chances are slim.

If Treloar back and Beams in means less mid time for Adams then fair but we will know that in JLT.
If Adams keeps role and Collingwood plays similarly then low risk.

It will be interesting to see if the kick out zone changes the way the ball comes out, with the long kick to a marking target to stretch zone defenses a chance to become preferred option? does this give strong marking rucks even more upside.

It will be interesting to see if the kick out zone changes the way the ball comes out, with the long kick to a marking target to stretch zone defenses a chance to become preferred option? does this give strong marking rucks even more upside.
Agreed. Keen to see how this unfolds. Key forwards may even get a boost. Maybe your Tex walker selection is a stroke of genius

If Treloar back and Beams in means less mid time for Adams then fair but we will know that in JLT.
If Adams keeps role and Collingwood plays similarly then low risk.
True. Firmly on my watch list as his price is too good to pass up IF he gets played through the middle. Although if he does they played behind the ball like he has previously then potentially means he could get defence status which in that case we will all be rejoicing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. Firmly on my watch list as his price is too good to pass up IF he gets played through the middle. Although if he does they played behind the ball like he has previously then potentially means he could get defence status which in that case we will all be rejoicing
good point on the defender status, if that happens everyone will need to get him.

Reporting back here about the Port intra club earlier today (from a fantasy perspective). I'll start with the rule changes.

Kick ins were largely shared about between the defenders. There was no clear sole kick in duty. There wasn't much playing on.

The 6/6/6 starting positions created a lot of space which the outside types took advantage of.

The new ruck rules were slightly noticeable. Lycett certainly took advantage of this and I wouldn't be against having him as a POD starter.

As for the players...
Ryder started forward and spent a decent chunk of time there while swapping with Lycett. Both worked well together and could see Lycett being a ruck smoky. Had plenty of intensity and follow up work after the tap.

Broadbent was impressive in his first hit out in years. Add another player to your defender depth because I think he averages 80 off the back of that. Played back but pushed high up the ground setting up play for our forwards.

Rockliff spent nearly all his TOG in the midfield. Got a fair bit of it and did okay. I'm not sure he increases his fantasy output past 100 again - though Rocky strikes me as a guy to go bang in JLT/round 1 instead.

Rozee is slick. Kid has some serious skills and weapons. Probably got about 15-20 touches and was dangerous with each one. Fantasy rookie option, though I'd be looking for value elsewhere...

Burton started and played a lot of midfield in the first half. Didn't look out of sorts and did some nice things. Was slotted into CHB in the second half due to low stocks down there. Had some nice intercept marks in that role as well. Not as bullish on him in fantasy as others though.

Drew was great. Genuine ball hunter who had a crack every time. A possible cash cow if he gets games.

Boak should be mentioned in the same breath as your Wingards, Kelly's, Billings and Heeneys of the world. Played nearly full time mid and didn't miss a beat. Absolute monster in that midfield, playing where he should have always been. I've put him in my team now.

Westhoff started forward before going into his roaming role. Looked dangerous at times, especially up forward. I don't see him being as fantasy relevant as 2018 though.

Pudney found the ball all day long. You couldn't keep him from it. Won't play round 1 but he's certainly one to watch for your downgrade options. Probably had the most touches on the ground behind SPP.

Butters is very much like Robbie Gray. But I don't see him being too fantasy relevant.

SPP is a contender for a breakout year. Holy hell he was involved in everything. Worked hard in the guts and tackled with tenacity. Possible POD and could be worth a look if he plays well in JLT. Remember, this is a bloke who had 17 tackles in a game last year.

Finally, my favourite, the best for last. Xavier Duursma. Holy crap the kid is a star. Think Angus Brayshaw with Fyfes marking ability. A genuine fantasy cash cow option if he plays round 1. Tackles, spreads, knows when to attack the ball and was always near it. I'll be starting with Duursma in 2019.

Hope this helps guys.

I have decided to just grow a pair and put him in. Wish me luck PAFC27 cliff dive.gif

Last edited:
Reporting back here about the Port intra club earlier today (from a fantasy perspective). I'll start with the rule changes.

Kick ins were largely shared about between the defenders. There was no clear sole kick in duty. There wasn't much playing on.

The 6/6/6 starting positions created a lot of space which the outside types took advantage of.

The new ruck rules were slightly noticeable. Lycett certainly took advantage of this and I wouldn't be against having him as a POD starter.

As for the players...
Ryder started forward and spent a decent chunk of time there while swapping with Lycett. Both worked well together and could see Lycett being a ruck smoky. Had plenty of intensity and follow up work after the tap.

Broadbent was impressive in his first hit out in years. Add another player to your defender depth because I think he averages 80 off the back of that. Played back but pushed high up the ground setting up play for our forwards.

Rockliff spent nearly all his TOG in the midfield. Got a fair bit of it and did okay. I'm not sure he increases his fantasy output past 100 again - though Rocky strikes me as a guy to go bang in JLT/round 1 instead.

Rozee is slick. Kid has some serious skills and weapons. Probably got about 15-20 touches and was dangerous with each one. Fantasy rookie option, though I'd be looking for value elsewhere...

Burton started and played a lot of midfield in the first half. Didn't look out of sorts and did some nice things. Was slotted into CHB in the second half due to low stocks down there. Had some nice intercept marks in that role as well. Not as bullish on him in fantasy as others though.

Drew was great. Genuine ball hunter who had a crack every time. A possible cash cow if he gets games.

Boak should be mentioned in the same breath as your Wingards, Kelly's, Billings and Heeneys of the world. Played nearly full time mid and didn't miss a beat. Absolute monster in that midfield, playing where he should have always been. I've put him in my team now.

Westhoff started forward before going into his roaming role. Looked dangerous at times, especially up forward. I don't see him being as fantasy relevant as 2018 though.

Pudney found the ball all day long. You couldn't keep him from it. Won't play round 1 but he's certainly one to watch for your downgrade options. Probably had the most touches on the ground behind SPP.

Butters is very much like Robbie Gray. But I don't see him being too fantasy relevant.

SPP is a contender for a breakout year. Holy hell he was involved in everything. Worked hard in the guts and tackled with tenacity. Possible POD and could be worth a look if he plays well in JLT. Remember, this is a bloke who had 17 tackles in a game last year.

Finally, my favourite, the best for last. Xavier Duursma. Holy crap the kid is a star. Think Angus Brayshaw with Fyfes marking ability. A genuine fantasy cash cow option if he plays round 1. Tackles, spreads, knows when to attack the ball and was always near it. I'll be starting with Duursma in 2019.

Hope this helps guys.
superb PAFC27 it sure does help. Has Duursma got enough size for AFL this season?

Last edited:
I was also at the port intraclub yesterday. Id say powell pepper was the most impressive from today. Won plenty of clearances and worked hard around the ground. Im tipping him to have a breakout year and average 95+. Rockliff also won alot of the footy and got around the ground for plenty of marks. He showed off his precise kicking and poise aswell. I think he can get back to a 100 avg this year.

Of the rookies duursma was the most impressive followed by rozee. Not sure if ill pick rozee ahead of the 170k fwds/def but hes certainly a solid option.

Big suprise was motlop playing full time mid at the centre bounces. Got better as the game went on so we will see if thats his positon come JLT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back