D4 Division 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed that AP have convinced the vafa to let them demote themselves back to Div4, it’s hard enough to recruit around the lake as it is. If potential players are sold a flag in div 4 rather than playing at a better standard in div 3 pretty sure they’ll take the flag any day.
I don't think it is about being "sold a flag" so much as survival. The presence of so many other clubs nearby would make it hard for AP to attract players at the best of times. It would be bloody difficult to even retain players, let alone attract more, if they were fronting up for a third straight year of floggings. I reckon this is the right outcome.

What's the GE Monash deal got to do with it. Monash came to GE with a problem regarding off field issues. So they asked for a merge with GE in D3. Amicable merge occurred. No buying a flag here.
I think the problem people have with that deal is that a Div 2 club and a Div 3 club merged, therefore, the new merged club should sit in the higher division.

Seems logical to most. It would be interesting to know what was in the presentation they made to the VAFA to understand the why....

How simple could it be. Monash have off field problems and would like to join GE . Some remaining players will play on in the thirds as Monash Gryphons at their ground which is what happened. Where is the problem? 2019 GE in D2 and Monash Gryphons in cubbies. Under 19s play as Old McKinnon/GE.

Seems logical to most. It would be interesting to know what was in the presentation they made to the VAFA to understand the why....

How simple could it be. Monash have off field problems and would like to join GE . Some remaining players will play on in the thirds as Monash Gryphons at their ground which is what happened. Where is the problem? 2019 GE in D2 and Monash Gryphons in cubbies. Under 19s play as Old McKinnon/GE.
Dude - honestly wasn't trying to stir old fecal matter. The poster before my response had mused about why the merged team participated in the lower grade & I was wondering what was in the VAFA preso that precipitated the decision. That's all.

In the finish the club can ask for something, but it's on the VAFA if they allow it; not the club.

Incorporating a D2 list into the club to play D3. Seems like the problem some are having to me

Incorporating a D2 list into the club to play D3. Seems like the problem some are having to me

So GE should have gone directly to D2 on your say so. Why is it that GE are required to move up a division on the whim of others who haven't a clue of what happened. This pathetic display by haters has been going on for 3 years. Go and ask the VAFA why this occurred.

So GE should have gone directly to D2 on your say so. Why is it that GE are required to move up a division on the whim of others who haven't a clue of what happened. This pathetic display by haters has been going on for 3 years. Go and ask the VAFA why this occurred.

On my say so? Excuse me? I can't recall ever making a complaint about the merger. My one and only point I was trying to make is that saying in 2019 Glen Eira will play D2 anyway and the Gryphons had off field problems and whatnot, is pretty clearly nothing more than just dancing around the problem that some have.

As an opposition coach at the time of the merger, I immediately rang Benny when I heard about it, because quite frankly, I couldn't believe the VAFA would let the two clubs get away with it. Benny told me he had been assured by GE that virtually no Monash players would be coming along.
This turned out to be absolute rubbish, as plenty of gun players from D2 were suddenly topping up a normal D3 list. Those facts are pretty simple form my point of view, and unless Mr. Goodman was lying to me, it seems that the whole thing bordered on cheating.
It's not hard to understand by most reasonable people from opposition clubs feel cheated to this day.
The only silver lining to the whole thing was that it stopped Hawthorn winning what should have rightfully been theirs.

As an opposition coach at the time of the merger, I immediately rang Benny when I heard about it, because quite frankly, I couldn't believe the VAFA would let the two clubs get away with it. Benny told me he had been assured by GE that virtually no Monash players would be coming along.
This turned out to be absolute rubbish, as plenty of gun players from D2 were suddenly topping up a normal D3 list. Those facts are pretty simple form my point of view, and unless Mr. Goodman was lying to me, it seems that the whole thing bordered on cheating.
It's not hard to understand by most reasonable people from opposition clubs feel cheated to this day.
The only silver lining to the whole thing was that it stopped Hawthorn winning what should have rightfully been theirs.

I’ll agree on most points but having seen both lists closely I would have to say that GE had their fair share of players that didn’t sit back and let the Monash boys smash the division. Julius Waras Carstensen who won the division medal, kicked 65 goals and had been at GE for at least 4 years was clearly the best player in that division.
He’s a player that would have gone very well up in the letters or got a good amount of coin over in the other leagues stayed with his mates and his club. Wish he played down at Ross Gregory!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ll agree on most points but having seen both lists closely I would have to say that GE had their fair share of players that didn’t sit back and let the Monash boys smash the division. Julius Waras Carstensen who won the division medal, kicked 65 goals and had been at GE for at least 4 years was clearly the best player in that division.
He’s a player that would have gone very well up in the letters or got a good amount of coin over in the other leagues stayed with his mates and his club. Wish he played down at Ross Gregory!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I couldn't agree more. Julius is a star and was the best player in the comp. I was very happy to have him move back to play on Tom Lowden in the game when we lost narrowly to them. But if we had had Flowers and the other six guns from Monash playing with us, we would have wiped the floor with them.

I couldn't agree more. Julius is a star and was the best player in the comp. I was very happy to have him move back to play on Tom Lowden in the game wh

en we lost narrowly to them. But if we had had Flowers and the other six guns from Monash playing with us, we would have wiped the floor with them.

I thought Jules came from GE. Also didn't GE have any good players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who was in the room to plan the merger and with the vafa. This thread is hilarious.

As is the fact people are still thinking about it several years on.

Very little accurate information too.

All teams have good players, and they are the ones you live and die by. When you take all the good players from two clubs and put them together, it makes them very hard to compete with. Despite the protestations, history will record that this injustice resulted in a hybrid team playing in a division lower than they should have, and as we all predicted at the time, went on to win an undeserved premiership.
That's why we still mention it occasionally.

All teams have good players, and they are the ones you live and die by. When you take all the good players from two clubs and put them together, it makes them very hard to compete with. Despite the protestations, history will record that this injustice resulted in a hybrid team playing in a division lower than they should have, and as we all predicted at the time, went on to win an undeserved premiership.
That's why we still mention it occasionally.

Yawn. Oh don't forget a two flags this year.

Ladder Prediction
1. St Francis Xavier
2. South Melbourne Districts
3. Albert Park
4. Box Hill North
5. South Mornington
6. Elsternwick
7. Eley Park Sharks
8. LaTrobe Uni
9. Masala

League Medal: D. Chin (SFX) - 22 votes
Goal Kicking: J. Yeatman (ELST) - 70 goals

Ladder Prediction
1. St Francis Xavier
3. Albert Park
4. Box Hill North
5. South Mornington
6. Elsternwick
7. Eley Park Sharks
8. LaTrobe Uni
9. Masala

League Medal: D. Chin (SFX) - 22 votes
Goal Kicking: J. Yeatman (ELST) - 70 goals

You would have to be a BHN fan to pick them at #4, swap them with Latrobe and push SM up a spot. The rest isnt too bad.
Yeatman kicking 70 in a side not making finals is laughable. He's no Fev.

Ladder Predictions

1. St Francis Xavier
3. La Trobe
4. Elsternwick
5. Albert Park
6. Eley Park
7. South Mornington
8. Masala
9. Box Hill North

League Medal: T Murrihy (SMD)
Goal Kicking: J Beets (AP)