Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t yet have another small to medium forward prospect on our list with both mongrel and similar forward finishing ability.

Think too much is being made of defensive forward at the expense of natural forward skill/finishing. Still have to kick a winning score to win a game of footy.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
keeping the ball locked in so we have the best opportunity of scoring those goals is seriously important - bloke called jason dunstall would rather carve his own arm off than have the ball leave his area - he was no small forward but his tenacity and desperation was phenomenal - that's what we need

keeping the ball locked in so we have the best opportunity of scoring those goals is seriously important - bloke called jason dunstall would rather carve his own arm off than have the ball leave his area - he was no small forward but his tenacity and desperation was phenomenal - that's what we need
Too late. He’s retired.

Surely a pressure forward can also kick goals or distribute the ball to another player in better position?

Is there anything in Gibbons or Polson that you've seen to suggest they'll be these types, though?
I don't see it but should it come about........it's just great being wrong.

Murphy makes for a clever and dangerous forward. We know that.
SPS is highly talented and could be anything and serve the function of adding pressure along with clever distribution.
I don't see Fisher as being that goal-kicking forward, but do see him as a goal-kicking mid. Obviously I have a very high regard for him.

I just can't buy into the 'if we create enough pressure we'll find a way to kick goals" thing.
I'd much sooner see our smalls leading into the ball and crumbing around the packs, than just chasing others simply to apply pressure.
Pressure is important. Goal-kickers are much more important and we just haven't got them yet.

I think good pressure forwards, lock the ball in/create turnovers, then it really doesn't matter who kicks the goals

Exactly, it is the rarely the one who applies the pressure that kicks the goal. They will create a turnover resulting in a goal. Unless they get a holidng the ball call, which is all too rare these days.

However the elite pressure forwards of the Betts/Rioli ilk can kick goals as well.

Personally I don't care who kicks the goal, I care that we kick the goal.

But I do want an opportunist crumber. This is something we don't have. Instinct is something you cant teach. I don't care how fast you are, you will be beaten for someone who can read the ball off the pack.

Coach conundrums: We solve your position puzzlers

Ed Curnow: Has spent his entire career in the midfield but has been used predominantly as a small forward throughout the summer. The Blues are desperate to become an improved pressure team inside 50 and hope that Curnow can provide that intensity at ground level. Has been described as a 'bulldog' by coaches when he does crumb the ball on the deck.
Verdict: Expect him to pinch-hit forward regularly throughout the year. - Riley Beveridge
There we go. Forward line sorted, with ECurnow, Gibbons and Polson in the forward 50.:)

Who really knows how it will play out, but have a feeling we're really going to miss Pickett.

I really like my small forwards to also able to mark above their heads. Not sure about Gibbons but i don't remember Ed and CamPo being particularly strong in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a time when curnow was our worst kick for goal

2018? :)

Lot of time for Ed, but it's sort of funny for Eds name now to pop up for the same role we've been discussing others.

ECurnow CCurnow Gibbons
Polson McKay McGovern

I don't know. If I saw that as our starting set-up, I may have a nervous chuckle to myself.

2018? :)

Lot of time for Ed, but it's sort of funny for Eds name now to pop up for the same role we've been discussing others.

ECurnow CCurnow Gibbons
Polson McKay McGovern

I don't know. If I saw that as our starting set-up, I may have a nervous chuckle to myself.

This move doesn't make much sense to me and I hope it isn't more than a 20-25% game time role. Perhaps it is expanding Ed's skillset as his career progresses rather than a significant positional move.

We still need him as one of our chief stoppers.

This move doesn't make much sense to me and I hope it isn't more than a 20-25% game time role. Perhaps it is expanding Ed's skillset as his career progresses rather than a significant positional move.

We still need him as one of our chief stoppers.

Comes from a Journo who saw Curnow rest at HF in a match sim. Now he's a small forward. FFS :rolleyes:. Ed will spend as much time on the ball as anyone on our list. Our mids are also training to rotate through the forward line where they need to still work hard and provide pressure.

The core forwards will be Charlie McGovern McKay and Polson with the mids

Is there anything in Gibbons or Polson that you've seen to suggest they'll be these types, though?
I don't see it but should it come about........it's just great being wrong.

Murphy makes for a clever and dangerous forward. We know that.
SPS is highly talented and could be anything and serve the function of adding pressure along with clever distribution.
I don't see Fisher as being that goal-kicking forward, but do see him as a goal-kicking mid. Obviously I have a very high regard for him.

I just can't buy into the 'if we create enough pressure we'll find a way to kick goals" thing.
I'd much sooner see our smalls leading into the ball and crumbing around the packs, than just chasing others simply to apply pressure.
Pressure is important. Goal-kickers are much more important and we just haven't got them yet.

Unless coming from marks, all other goals from forwards, come through a variety of secondary options. Increase the number of entries and you increase the number of options.

Come the end of the year, I believe Fisher will have the best output as a small forward, if measuring minutes versus output, when playing forward.

While everyone is concerned with acquiring better small forwards, I believe our greatest weakness is genuine goal kicking mids. Improve that area and we will be much more dangerous

Unless coming from marks, all other goals from forwards, come through a variety of secondary options. Increase the number of entries and you increase the number of options.

Come the end of the year, I believe Fisher will have the best output as a small forward, if measuring minutes versus output, when playing forward.

While everyone is concerned with acquiring better small forwards, I believe our greatest weakness is genuine goal kicking mids. Improve that area and we will be much more dangerous

Murphy for me but rate the fish and reckon he will be great

Who really knows how it will play out, but have a feeling we're really going to miss Pickett.

Unfortunately was the same last season pre round 1, hopes were dashed when JP was to be absent with his wrist - just adds another dimension with his pace etc. Would be handy to have Pickett consistently performing as he has vs HFC late in ‘17 and JLT ‘18, that’s a forward we need.

Wouldn't mind Coniglio for that very reason, but just the same I'm not unhappy for who we have although the smallest guy is the one that can kick them from 50 out and on the run. Dow fits into this bracket for me also.
Cripps and Kennedy are strong marks and can spend time forward creating mis-matches. Maybe Setterfield also.
Walsh and SPS look likely to become just what you're searching for with both being elusive in their own ways but also very clever with terrific peripheral vision.

One reason why we may not have had any genuine goal-kicking mids before is........we didn't have many mids.
Of course many of our guys are still young and require plenty of experience, but won't that make a difference in time.

Unfortunately was the same last season pre round 1, hopes were dashed when JP was to be absent with his wrist - just adds another dimension with his pace etc. Would be handy to have Pickett consistently performing as he has vs HFC late in ‘17 and JLT ‘18, that’s a forward we need.

Pickett would scare me if I knew he was in my vicinity. Others not so much.
Pickett is also a good mark for his size and yes.......he can make things happen from very little. Somehow that means a lot to me.

You want back-men to terrified of being beaten one-on-one and shown-up and not just for the possibility of being tackled.
The more fear in those back-men for those reasons alone, the more mistakes they will make and possibly more goals come about.

I just think it's time. I am very confident SPS Fisher Dow Walsh O'Brien Kennedy Stocker & Setterfield can all be midfield goal kickers. Almost the final piece in the puzzle for them. Once they start kicking goals you know they are comfortable at this level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back