Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyones looking in bloody great shape, real different having the likes of Naughty, Ed, Smith, West etc already having AFL ready bodys compared to our draftees in previous years. Cant see us not winning the flag tbh

If winning the flag came down to an underwear modelling contest we would be an absolute shoe-in.

I remember when we drafted kids who were all built like J Grant and the other Cordy. The only skinny bloke that hung around, and had a long career despite always being skinny, and been a skinny star, is Murphy. At least from the top of my mind anyway. Either we are drafting and recognizing players body types in terms of room for growth better, or our weights guy is doing a good job. I say both

Richards, Smith, West, all had/have solid upper body structures and legs when they got drafted.
Shaggy

Brisbane flogged the s**t out of the Hawks twice last year. Carlton constantly beats Essendon. Saints drew GWS. We got made piss by Fremantle in the final round of 2016 before going on to win the premiership.

Some sides have good match ups against others regardless of ladder position

Did you realise that by the time the match started against Freo in the final round of 2016 we were locked in 7th position win or loss. Self preservation, we couldn't afford any more injuries. It become a nothing game, so we saved our intensity for the following week.

Adelaide did the same in one of their GF wins 1998. After finishing 5th Melbourne beat then in the first week 8 goals, yet they couldn't be knocked out. 3 weeks later they were Premiers.

In my time watching footy I can't really recall a player developing their attack at the footy/man to a large degree. Especially taller guys. Most of the aggressive talls look to have that attribute from day dot.

Think Hogan, Hurley and even Z.Cordy for us. Their physical strength never really affected their attack on the ball and man.
True but you can change perceptions that are quite often not correct in the first place

If winning the flag came down to an underwear modelling contest we would be an absolute shoe-in.
Easton Wood set to win the Brownlow every year til retirement.

Dale Morris is a shock Coleman medalist after a rule change sees it judged on who has the warmest smile.

"Star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli doesn’t believe a change of plan is required for the Western Bulldogs to bounce back in 2019.

The 23-year-old says the Dogs will trust their process, as they look to build on their eight wins in 2018 and move up the ladder this year.

“There’s been no real overhaul to be honest,” Bontempelli told SEN Breakfast"

Unless he is keeping cards close to chest. The talk and rumors of a whole new game plan seems a bit off the mark.

"Star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli doesn’t believe a change of plan is required for the Western Bulldogs to bounce back in 2019.

The 23-year-old says the Dogs will trust their process, as they look to build on their eight wins in 2018 and move up the ladder this year.

“There’s been no real overhaul to be honest,” Bontempelli told SEN Breakfast"

Unless he is keeping cards close to chest. The talk and rumors of a whole new game plan seems a bit off the mark.
If you develop a whole new game plan would you want to tell the whole world about it 6 weeks out from Round 1?

I don't think we're any wiser really. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he also talks about getting the fast ball movement going again/more

Helps when we draft people who have at least above average leg speed and kicking skills. The recent recruits have turned us from less of a slow plodding team into a more athletic one.

At training this morning.
All present and accounted for apart from Tom Boyd and Jong.
Several players in the light load / rehab group including Bont, Dickson, Naughton, Suckling, Morris, B.Smith, Schache and Gowers.
Edit: Did not spot Sweet or Lloyd, but I may have missed them.

Players seemed pretty relaxed and in good spirits, even JJ in the moon boot. The skills were not great.

In the drills I thought Cavarra looked like he could apply some good forward pressure and kick a goal.

To me Crozier just looks really fit and classy. I reckon he would be one of the first picked.

English looks ready to make an impression. Definitely the tallest out there and would make a big difference to the structure.

Wow our midfield is looking strong and tall when you consider Bont, Macrae, Dunkley. Westy would want to be as good as his dad because he aint winning any speed records.

And libba was out there looking good, although it seems he didn't get the memo about the uniform and was the only one out there in white shorts...

Last edited:
At training this morning.
All present and accounted for apart from Tom Boyd and Jong.
Several players in the light load / rehab group including Bont, Dickson, Naughton, Suckling, Morris, B.Smith, Schache and Gowers.
Edit: Did not spot Sweet or Lloyd, but I may have missed them.

Players seemed pretty relaxed and in good spirits, even JJ in the moon boot. The skills were not great.

In the drills I thought Cavarra looked like he could apply some good forward pressure and kick a goal.

To me Crozier just looks really fit and classy. I reckon he would be one of the first picked.

English looks ready to make an impression. Definitely the tallest out there and would make a big difference to the structure.

Wow our midfield is looking strong and tall when you consider Bont, Macrae, Dunkley. Westy would want to be as good as his dad because he aint winning any speed records.

And libba was out there looking good, although it seems he didn't get the memo about the uniform and was the only one out there in white shorts...
I wonder why Bont was in the light training/ rehab group ?

There wasn't much one could glean from this morning's training session. Mostly kick to kick and some circle type drills. At least it was an opportunity to see whether players looked stronger and more physically developed. English may have put on a kilo or two but it's not immediately obvious. Young (Lewis) still looks light for a KPP. Macrae looks bigger in upper body - he's ready for another strong season. Hayes is bigger (height and physique) than I thought previously. Libba looks very fit. Would have liked to see Sweet run around but he wasn't there.
It's pretty obvious we must be training for a burst run and carry game style with kicks to leading smalls because we just don't have the big KPPs that most other teams have.
One interesting observation was Roberts being addressed in a group of forwards. May mean something, maybe nothing.
Apart from what Libba39 mentioned above there was not a lot more to report.

I went down for a bit of a look and to shoot off a few frames.

As you would expect after having a match simulation session on Thursday it was little more than an hour of relaxed and low energy basic drills that was in reality an excuse for some fan engagement. Other than the noticeable absentees previously mentioned, Im not sure that anybody could really glean anything at all from todays session.

IMG_9390.jpg

IMG_9486.jpg

IMG_9572.jpg

IMG_9629.jpg

IMG_9551.jpg

Last edited:
Liber is often thought of/renowned for his quick hands, vision, in and under work and his contested footy BUT what is often overlooked is his great kicking skills to the extent that he way be the best kick at the club. He gets ball to foot quickly, disposes the ball well and rarely misses shot for goals when he goes for them.

Liber = GUN (missed in 2018 welcomed back in 2019)

I went down for a bit of a look and to shoot off a few frames.

As you would expect after having a match simulation session on Thursday it was little more than an hour of relaxed and low energy basic drills that was in reality an excuse for some fan engagement. Other than the noticeable absentees previously mentioned, Im not sure that anybody could really glean anything at all from todays session.

View attachment 620229

View attachment 620238

View attachment 620239

View attachment 620240

View attachment 620242
Great Pics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back