AFLW Round 3 Fremantle Vs Collingwood, Fremantle Oval. Saturday 16 Feb 2019, 4:15pm (AWST)

Remove this Banner Ad

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
LAST TIME THEY MET

Fremantle (6.4.40) def Collingwood (4.3.27) @ Optus Stadium

Last time they met it was in front of a AFLW record crowd of 41,975 and was the first game of football ever played at Optus Stadium. The atmosphere was fantastic and I'm still disappointed that the AFL didn't find a way to have any AFLW games played at Optus this year.

At the time, it was Fremantle's best performance since the AFLW competition started and they never looked like losing despite a typical slow start allowing the Pies to kick the first two goals. From then on Fremantle took control kicking 6 of the next 8 goals to the delight of the huge crowd.

Dana Hooker was once again the star of the show, well supported by Kara Donellan and Hayley Miller, whilst Lisa Webb was simply amazing with her run on the outside. But like all of Fremantle's AFLW wins it was a great team effort, this time structuring well to regularly lock the ball forward.

WHAT'S CHANGED?

Well if you haven't already noticed, Fremantle now has an awesome forward line. Six of seven forwards got at least a goal last week, and three of them got 2. Sharp won goal of the week, and probably had the second best goal of the week as well. But it's not just the goal kicking (that they practiced heaps in the pre-season), they are working really really well together as a unit, highlighted best by O'Sullivan's tap over the top for Duffy to run into goal. And although they didn't have to rely on it as much last weekend, their forward pressure has also been great this season - our talls and smalls are all quick and agile. What's is perhaps scary is Gibson, arguably Freo's most skilled forward, is yet to hit her straps (she was the only forward not to kick a goal last week).

Fremantle's midfield has also been far more dominant than they have been given credit for by the East Coast media, and not just this season but the past two seasons as well. Despite most commentators crowing on about disposal totals I'd happily take being the #1 team for contested possessions and clearances any day - which we have always been. What's changed though, is Fremantle now have a forward line to kick to, that can take advantage of that ball winning dominance. Encouragingly there's also a good chance it is only going to get better as Bowers settles in, Miller finds some form post recovery, and Donnellan settles fully into her strength in a quarterback role, knowing she doesn't have to do it all herself with better class and support around her.

Meanwhile the Pies are really struggling. Last week they had a dismal 12 inside 50s, a pathetic 33% efficiency inside 50 and the equal lowest AFLW score in history. Just 4 shots at goal in a full game of football against a team that is far from flying themselves (Melbourne). Some may say they were better the week before against Geelong, but they still only managed 9 shots at goal from a 31% i50 efficiency. Their midfield just doesn't appear strong enough to win enough ball and compete against decent teams. Brazill is almost single handedly keeping them in games.

TEAMS

Fremantle (edited to reflect real positions)

B T.Bresland 5, P.Seth 18
HB A.Stannett 24, A.Williams 9, E.Gooch 8
C H.Miller 19, K.Donnellan 15, S.Cain 20
HF K.Gibson 21, E.Antonio 12, S.Duffy 6
F G.Houghton 27, A.Sharp 1
FOL P.Laurie 11, D.Hooker 17, K.Bowers 2
I/C M.Caulfield 10, A.Atkins 37, K.Grieve 13, L.Pugh 32, B.Moyes 55
Emg L.Mascall 14, C.Stubbs 4

In: L.Pugh, B.Moyes
Out: G.O'Sullivan (suspension), L.Mascall

Collingwood

B: J.Allen 6, A.Brazill 10, I.Ross 21
HB: S.Livingstone 12, R.Schleicher 18, N.Hildebrand 3
C: B.Bonnici 8
HF: S.Dargan 46, S.D'Arcy 4, K.Lynch 16
F: S.Rowe 7, S.Alexander 24, C.McIntosh 20
Foll: E.Hynes 11, S.Chiocci (c) 17, J.Lambert 13
I/C: S.Casey 22, M.Shevlin 35, G.Gourlay 32, M.Cann 25, H.Whitford 28
Emg: S.Layton 1, J.Membrey 31

In: N.Hildebrand, S.Alexander, M.Shevlin, H.Whitford
Out: L.Butler, E.Fowler, S.Layton, E.Grant (injured)

PREDICTION

If the past two weeks are any indiction then Fremantle's midfield should absolutely smash the Pies'. I can't see how they will be able to contain all of Hooker, Bowers and Donnellan. I'm also expecting Cooper to inject more speed in the middle than he did last week, with Miller, Caulfield and Sharp the most likely options. And we might also see Gibson get some time on ball to get her into the game. Last week's game was O'Sullivan's best ever imo, and her suspension is annoying but unlikely to have any impact on the outcome of this game. Antonio won't need to head down back at all this week as Gooch, Williams, Bresland and co should easily account for the Pies' forward line irrespective of wind conditions.

I suspect the Pies will want to have Brazill (clearly their best player) playing on ball but with Houghton and Antonio roaming Fremantle's forward 50 I suspect they'll need her class in defence. I'm also hoping they whisper in her ear about coming back to WA where she lived (playing netball) from '12-'16.

In past seasons Fremantle have proven a struggling team can pull an unexpected win out of nowhere but I just can't see Fremantle dropping the ball with this one and I think it will become more a question of the margin rather than the result. It's a great opportunity for Fremantle to improve their percentage and potentially take top spot on the Conference A ladder. With North and the Dogs playing each other, a win guarantees Freo will be top 2 in Conference A at the end of the round.

Fremantle by 6 goals. (If you thought my 4 goal prediction last week was optimistic, you should know I did consider saying 8 goals this week - we are capable of breaking records in this game)

Yes, comprehensive preview, thanks WTG.

Information question: how important generally is a centre ruck to the women's/Freo's game? Freo were able to win the ball back in their last 2 matches despite missing out at centre clearances with seemingly a height disadvantage, so maybe the answer is "not hugely" - but I'd like your view.

Information question: how important generally is a centre ruck to the women's/Freo's game? Freo were able to win the ball back in their last 2 matches despite missing out at centre clearances with seemingly a height disadvantage, so maybe the answer is "not hugely" - but I'd like your view.
Parris Laurie has been smashed in the ruck both games (gave up a lot in height so not really her fault) but luckily we have the best clearance player in the AFLW who reads the opposition taps really well. Plus all our mids are good at laying tackles and putting pressure around the contest to take away any major benefit from an opposition ruck's dominance so it's not really a huge issue for us.

I think we probably would benefit if we had a really athletic tall ruck that could win (or at least break even on) the hit outs and make first possession a bit easier - thought Houghton was pretty good when she was in there on the weekend for instance (but we need her forward just as much). With due respect to Alicia Janz, I'm not sure she'd make much difference over Laurie if she wasn't injured. I thought Laurie was exceptional on debut against Lauren Pearce in Rd 1 - made up for her subpar tap work with around the ground coverage against a really talented player. Wasn't as involved last week but didn't really need to be either.

Sorry to not really answer your question but I'm not really sure... we've been the #1 clearance team every season and we've never had a dominant ruck. We did struggle when opposition rucks got in space around the ground in past seasons - and I think that's how Parris is impacting our ability to win this season, even if she's not touching the ball that much.

wayToGo_ you are an absolute legend

From my own experience playing the game at a senior's level, I've found that your rucks usually aren't tall enough to be a dominant part of the game plan. Rucks can't get the ball far enough to hit it to an advantage, so most contests are won by whoever's the nimblest inside player. My team just had our strongest players that weren't short people rucking around the ground - I took it a few times in the forward 50, and I'm only 165cm.

Fig tree shade area definitely a good place to go, although the crowds will be bigger there. Just avoid the south eastern side as you will get roasted if there is any sun and the concrete heats up loads too

Just got back from Melbourne and keen to head down with the Mrs and 2yo to watch my 1st AFLW game live! Where is the best place to watch the game? Fig tree shade area?
Seppo, it is going to be reasonably cool today, so may I suggest that you stand on the fence not far from the Freo gazebo. We stood there last week, and watched the girls going on and off. Bell was pretty hands on with ice and wet towels. Alcock and Rosich were there as well, so was really interesting. Cooper was elsewhere, but phoned instructions to the runner. Unfortunately, we can't be there today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good qtr but we should be further in front on balance of play.

We were actually a little poor given how much possession and field position we enjoyed.

Confident we will do better in Q3 when next with the breeze.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back