Fact Fun Facts About Drawn Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide's Draw Drought continues ^. We have the next longest active drought (we had 2x in 2003 but none since), the other teams apart from GWS/Gold Coast (who have yet to play in a draw) have played in one in the last 10 years. 2012 and 2013 only had 1 draw apiece.
It’s notable that there were no draws in the SANFL or WAFL in 2013 (the last in the SANFL was three years ago now) and only one in the VFL.

I have a good database on draws in the AFL and the second tier state leagues going back to the introduction of modern scoring of 6 points for a goal and 1 point for a behind. What’s fascinating is that 2004, the last season with no draws in the AFL, was the first peacetime season with no draws in any of the VFL/AFL, VFA/VFL, SANFL or WAFL since 1907 (1918 also had no draws but the SANFL was in recess).

Essendon and Carlton have played 3 draws against each other in the last 10 years.

Surely this is some sort of record?

Also does the cancelled game between Adelaide and Geelong count as a draw in the record books?

Essendon and Carlton have played 3 draws against each other in the last 10 years.

Surely this is some sort of record?
It's not a record. Carlton and South Melbourne played three draws with each other in four seasons (in fact, in seven encounters) between 1911 and 1914, and four between 1911 and 1921, as you can see here if you scroll. Carlton and Fitzroy also played three draws between 1915 and 1921.

Players averse to draws should consider transferring to the WAFL, where ties are very rare.

There have been just two draws in the 2010s, with the most recent occurring in June 2012 between East Perth and West Perth. There were just two draws in the 1990s, with only one draw in 1957 between 1946 and 1960. South Fremantle last drew in 1997, Subiaco in 2001, Peel Thunder have never drawn since their debut in 1997 while East Fremantle have not finished level with an opponent since 1989.

At the other end of the scale, West Perth drew a remarkable three times in the 1960 season, but this must have steadied the Falcons' nerves as they took out the premiership that year.

You don't hear of many draws occurring in the SANFL, VFL & TAC Cup either. They must occur from time to time, but along with the WAFL seem to be a rarity.

Stats from the draw between Gold Coast and West Coast tonight.

- First draw in Gold Coast's history.

- 6th draw in West Coast's history, and their first draw since 2003, ending a 12 year draw drought.

- Geelong now have the second longest draw drought with their last draw coming in Round 21, 2006 against Melbourne.

Stats from the draw between Gold Coast and West Coast tonight.

- First draw in Gold Coast's history.

- 6th draw in West Coast's history, and their first draw since 2003, ending a 12 year draw drought.

- Geelong now have the second longest draw drought with their last draw coming in Round 21, 2006 against Melbourne.
where does the current Adelaide draw draught rank in the alltime lists?

I just researched longest drawless sequences.

Adelaide have played their last 491 games for no draws.

Melbourne previously held the record with 462 games without a draw.

The likelihood of a draw is approximately 1/230 (Based on 10 years) Yet the bookies only pay out $51. Pretty s**t odds.
I generally put $1 on the draw in the last 5 weeks if it hasn't won yet as there's generally 1 a year. Odds are in your favour that late.
Typical that the draw came 1 week too early this year :(

Which season of AFL has had the most draws? And how much did it affect the ladder that year?
VFL era (5):
1921 http://afltables.com/afl/seas/1921.html#lad
AFL era (3):
1996 http://afltables.com/afl/seas/1996.html#lad
2003 http://afltables.com/afl/seas/2003.html#lad
2007 http://afltables.com/afl/seas/2007.html#lad
2011 http://afltables.com/afl/seas/2011.html#lad
Note - 2007 had 4 draws, but 1 was a final with overtime, 2010 had 3, but 1 was the grand final

The highest-scoring draw in AFL history occurred during Round 2 of 1993 at the MCG - Essendon 20.12 (132) drew with Carlton 19.18 (132).

Byron Sumner's only AFL game as a Sydney Swan ended in a draw - Sydney 11.18 (84) drew with Melbourne 11.18 (84) at the MCG in Round 1 of the 2011 season.

Sumner's feat was matched in the AFLW by GWS player Pippa Smythe, whose only career game was the draw between GWS 2.7 (19) and Adelaide 2.7 (19) in Round 4 of the 2018 competition.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The highest-scoring draw in AFL history occurred during Round 2 of 1993 at the MCG - Essendon 20.12 (132) drew with Carlton 19.18 (132) at the MCG.

Byron Sumner's only AFL game ended in a draw - Sydney 11.18 (84) drew with Melbourne 11.18 (84) at the MCG in Round 1 of the 2011 season.

Sumner's feat was matched in the AFLW by GWS player Pippa Smythe, whose only career game was the draw between GWS 2.7 (19) and Adelaide 2.7 (19) in Round 4.
Here's the list of (AFL/VFL) players who played one career game for one draw:

1549683657264.png

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/biglists/bg11.txt

The highest-scoring draw in AFL history occurred during Round 2 of 1993 at the MCG - Essendon 20.12 (132) drew with Carlton 19.18 (132) at the MCG.

Byron Sumner's only AFL game ended in a draw - Sydney 11.18 (84) drew with Melbourne 11.18 (84) at the MCG in Round 1 of the 2011 season.

Sumner's feat was matched in the AFLW by GWS player Pippa Smythe, whose only career game was the draw between GWS 2.7 (19) and Adelaide 2.7 (19) in Round 4.

Wayne Lamb made his debut for Melbourne in a drawn match against the Sydney Swans at the MCG in Round 7 1992, and this was his best result in a 21 game career for Melbourne and Fitzroy. All 20 subsequent senior matches for Lamb resulted in defeats for the Demons and Lions.

Now the GF draw replay is cast to history the game facilitates two types of draw resolution.

1) Draw in home and away stands, spoils divided.

2) Draw in Final, extra time played to garner result.

Interestingly when there was a GF replay the league resolved a draw in a third way.

3) Draw in Grand Ginal, replay full game the following week.

Hence draws were treated three different ways.

The highest scoring draw in AFL/VFL history was in Round 2 1993, where Essendon and Carlton drew 20.12-132 to 19.18-132, an aggregate of 264 points. Another unusually high scoring drawn game was in 1980, where despite the disparity between the teams in a strange season (Richmond best team all season but finished third on ladder before easily taking out the flag, St. Kilda easily the worst team but thanks to another freak draw in the last round avoided the wooden spoon) the Tigers and Saints tied 19.14-128 a piece, aggregate 256-points.

Does anyone know of any higher scoring draws in the other high level leagues such as the WAFL, SANFL and VFA? High scoring was more common from the mid 1970s, through the 1980s and to the mid 1990s, so was there any games in these leagues that eclipsed the Bombers and Blues' 264-point aggregate? Did any drawn matches in these leagues break the 300 point aggregate?

The highest scoring draw in AFL/VFL history was in Round 2 1993, where Essendon and Carlton drew 20.12-132 to 19.18-132, an aggregate of 264 points. Another unusually high scoring drawn game was in 1980, where despite the disparity between the teams in a strange season (Richmond best team all season but finished third on ladder before easily taking out the flag, St. Kilda easily the worst team but thanks to another freak draw in the last round avoided the wooden spoon) the Tigers and Saints tied 19.14-128 a piece, aggregate 256-points.

Does anyone know of any higher scoring draws in the other high level leagues such as the WAFL, SANFL and VFA? High scoring was more common from the mid 1970s, through the 1980s and to the mid 1990s, so was there any games in these leagues that eclipsed the Bombers and Blues' 264-point aggregate? Did any drawn matches in these leagues break the 300 point aggregate?
I don't know of an easier way to check for draws (on that website), but if you scroll down these lists you should be able to find the highest scoring draws:

https://australianfootball.com/leagues/biggest_match_aggregates/SANFL/107/Premiership+season/3#
https://australianfootball.com/leagues/biggest_match_aggregates/WAFL/129/Premiership+Season/10
https://australianfootball.com/leagues/biggest_match_aggregates/VFA/193/Premiership+Season/8
https://australianfootball.com/leagues/biggest_match_aggregates/VFL/126/Premiership+Season/9

I only had a quick look (and may well have missed something) but the highest I saw for the SANFL was West Adelaide 19.17 (131) vs. Port Adelaide 19.17 (131) in 1934 [262], in the WAFL Swan Districts 18.11 (119) vs. West Perth 17.17 (119) in 1946 [238], and in the VFA (Div. 1) Prahran 21.15 (141) vs. Preston 20.21 (141) in 1978 [282].

I don't know if that site covers every season of those competitions, but it probably does. Putting all the scores into a spreadsheet and checking (via formula) for draws would be easier than scrolling down the pages looking for scores that match!!

I don't know of an easier way to check for draws (on that website), but if you scroll down these lists you should be able to find the highest scoring draws:

https://australianfootball.com/leagues/biggest_match_aggregates/SANFL/107/Premiership+season/3#
https://australianfootball.com/leagues/biggest_match_aggregates/WAFL/129/Premiership+Season/10
https://australianfootball.com/leagues/biggest_match_aggregates/VFA/193/Premiership+Season/8
https://australianfootball.com/leagues/biggest_match_aggregates/VFL/126/Premiership+Season/9

I only had a quick look (and may well have missed something) but the highest I saw for the SANFL was West Adelaide 19.17 (131) vs. Port Adelaide 19.17 (131) in 1934 [262], in the WAFL Swan Districts 18.11 (119) vs. West Perth 17.17 (119) in 1946 [238], and in the VFA (Div. 1) Prahran 21.15 (141) vs. Preston 20.21 (141) in 1978 [282].

I don't know if that site covers every season of those competitions, but it probably does. Putting all the scores into a spreadsheet and checking (via formula) for draws would be easier than scrolling down the pages looking for scores that match!!

Thanks 35Daicos I'll check it out.

Good facts - I had not noticed that those two clubs had been playing in all but one of the draws. One reason Essendon has played more draws than any other club is that of eleven drawn VFL games between 1940 and 1949, Essendon played in six, two of which were the 1946 Second Semi and 1948 Grand Final.

It is notable that of the pairs of clubs playing between 1925 and 1986, there are only ten that have never drawn out of the sixty-six possible pairs. What is amazing is that half of them involve Hawthorn:
  1. Carlton and Hawthorn
  2. Collingwood and Hawthorn
  3. Essendon and Hawthorn
  4. Hawthorn and Melbourne
  5. Hawthorn and Richmond
  6. Geelong v South Melbourne/Sydney
  7. Geelong v St. Kilda (in 111 years of playing each other)
  8. Carlton and North Melbourne
  9. Fitzroy v Footscray (in 72 years)
  10. Fitzroy v Richmond (no draw in 88 years)
The fact that half of the pairs involve Hawthorn is so amazing - even when one realises they have not been in the competition as long as most of the other eleven clubs - that a year or two ago I started a thread on the topic and would be happy if it were re-activated.
Scratch no. 6 off the list.

All pairs of teams active constantly since 1925 except Hawthorn have played at least one drawn game since 1897, with the following three exceptions:

• Carlton v North Melbourne
  • Geelong v South Melbourne/Sydney
  • Geelong v St. Kilda
  • (Fitzroy never drew with either Richmond or Footscray)
Of those three pairs, Carlton and North may seem surprising given that in my childhood of the late 1980s the pair were renowned for producing thrillers - including several with remarkably high scores like the Round 3, 1985 game in 34˚C heat where Dwyer kicked the winning goal, and a Round 20, 1988 game where Carlton's Adrian Gleeson took Dwyer's place. (Oddly, in the following season Gleeson was on the same round to play probably the best game of his career in another high-scoring thriller, this time against St. Kilda).

That Round was notable for two things - the hottest temperature for a round of footy, and perhaps not coincidentally - the highest scoring round ever.

Scratch no. 6 off the list.
No 5 is the interesting one - Rich v Haw - because there was a draw between those 2 teams for about 10 minutes - when the players walked off the MCG - both teams thought it was a draw - because the big scoreboard at the MCG said it was a draw

It was either 1968 or 1970 because Rich were the reigning premier and the superior side at the time - Public holiday Monday - and i was listening to the game in the car - Harry Bietzel called the game ( i will put my house on that ) very exciting finish and it ended up a draw - so anyone listening or who were leaving the ground would certainly be under the impression that it was a draw

What happened - the 2 goal umpires - the rules back then - at the end of the game would walk to the middle of the ground and confirm the scores - and they both were of the view that the big scoreboard was wrong and Rich should have an extra point

So they contacted the authorities or whatever and the scores were amended - and the Tigers won by a point

No 5 is the interesting one - Rich v Haw - because there was a draw between those 2 teams for about 10 minutes - when the players walked off the MCG - both teams thought it was a draw - because the big scoreboard at the MCG said it was a draw

It was either 1968 or 1970 because Rich were the reigning premier and the superior side at the time - Public holiday Monday - and i was listening to the game in the car - Harry Bietzel called the game ( i will put my house on that ) very exciting finish and it ended up a draw - so anyone listening or who were leaving the ground would certainly be under the impression that it was a draw

What happened - the 2 goal umpires - the rules back then - at the end of the game would walk to the middle of the ground and confirm the scores - and they both were of the view that the big scoreboard was wrong and Rich should have an extra point

So they contacted the authorities or whatever and the scores were amended - and the Tigers won by a point
The Age - 11 June 1968:
1688562087345.png
1688562262757.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back